PDA

View Full Version : what fuel pump to run?

eliminator1974
10-08-2007, 05:43 PM
I just had my fuel pump take a crap on me an I don't know which one to buy to reinsure this will not happen again. Right now I have a mechanical fuel pump with a eletric back up pump. I am running a 565 with a 10-71 blower and a super chiller. I only run 7-8 pounds of boost. Thanks for all your info

VD CRUISER
10-08-2007, 06:57 PM
I run a Clay Smith mechanical pump on my 548 with a 10:71 and two Dominators and 11 # of boost and haven't had any problems.

GofastRacer
10-08-2007, 07:00 PM
Yep, can't go wrong with a Clay Smith!...

The Doctor
10-08-2007, 07:14 PM
I have nothing bad to say about anybody else's choice but these pumps are what I believe are the "wave of the future."
http://www.racepumps.com/

GofastRacer
10-08-2007, 07:35 PM
I've heard a lot of negative stuff about that pump?, maybe they've improved on them???, I'd still stick with the Clay Smith that's tried and trued and reliable, and wayyyyyy cheaper!... just my worthless .02!...

ghittner
10-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Carter makes a great 170 GPH mechanical pump that I use on my blown 498, 900 hp or so. Requires no regulator, 1/2" lines, maintains good pressure throughout the rpm band. Less parts the bettah. You can buy it anywhere that sells Carter pumps. And who doesn't??? With my calculations of 10 GPH per 100 HP, that's good for WAY more than we need!
I posted this two years ago and the pump is still GREAT!!!!

wet77
10-09-2007, 02:37 AM
I have nothing bad to say about anybody else's choice but these pumps are what I believe are the "wave of the future."
http://www.racepumps.com/
I have one of those race pumps on my blown 540 and it works great:D
On the dyno runs it never moved off psi at all.
Make sure you buy the newer one with the thermal spacer though I think they had issues with the old design.
I would buy another one anytime if I was to build another motor;)

VDRIVERACING
10-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Race pump dinged up my cam and never could get to run right. So much for new wave. Maybe they have it figuered out by now.
I run an edlebrock racing pump 130gpm, 1/2" lines, etc. 468, 8lbs of boost, 7500 rpm, been using them for years, and I think they cost about $80

atxwrangler
10-09-2007, 07:03 PM
i am running a clay smith 120,but,next i will try the new bbf race pump! :D

atxwrangler
10-09-2007, 07:04 PM
i am running a clay smith 120,but,next i will try the new bbf race pump! :D no problems with the clay smith though!

fc-pilot
10-10-2007, 10:21 AM
I am as happy as a clam with the one we have on our SBC.:D
Paul

The Doctor
10-10-2007, 10:24 AM
Race pump dinged up my cam and never could get to run right. So much for new wave. Maybe they have it figuered out by now.
I certainly hope they have it figured out since we are running one on our TT BBC Schiada. If our funny cars and dragsters weren't injected, we'd be running this pump on them as well.

gn7
10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
get ahold of Super Dave on this site, he cab hook you up with the Clay
Smith. As for the Race Pump, stay away unless you are willing to deal with some of it's issues.

@theRVR
10-10-2007, 02:26 PM
I know a lot of people that run that Clay Smith fuel pump, very reliable and if a lot of people have it.... and if parts are ever needed there's a better chance you'll be up and running that weekend.:idea:

VDRIVERACING
10-10-2007, 07:22 PM
I certainly hope they have it figured out since we are running one on our TT BBC Schiada. If our funny cars and dragsters weren't injected, we'd be running this pump on them as well.
Well, you're in luck! Race Pumps makes them FI as well... Happy motoring.

Morg
10-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Got a buddy who is trying the race pump on a tunnel ram carbed deal, with NOS. First time out the pump lost pressure on first romp?????
Using the race pump regulator, no return as spec'd.
BTW the race pump is EFI only. No worky for mechanical FI.

The Doctor
10-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Well, you're in luck! Race Pumps makes them FI as well... Happy motoring.
I'll just quote Morg to answer this:
BTW the race pump is EFI only. No worky for mechanical FI.

84 cougar
10-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I have heard mixed reviews on the race pump. They look trick, but known too many w/ failures. Hopefully they have worked out their problems. I spend a lot of money on my fuel pump, but its cheap insurance. I use a product engineering system, have on the last 3 big blown motors(different boats), One 605 w/1471, big chiefs, and 20 lbs of boost. The pumps are incredible reliable, and w/ a great tech line. The pumps range from $250-$475 I think. Good LUck. Jocko

ghittner
10-11-2007, 08:37 PM
Carter makes a great 170 GPH mechanical pump that I use on my blown 498, 900 hp or so. Requires no regulator, 1/2" lines, maintains good pressure throughout the rpm band. Less parts the bettah. You can buy it anywhere that sells Carter pumps. And who doesn't??? With my calculations of 10 GPH per 100 HP, that's good for WAY more than we need!
I posted this two years ago and the pump is still GREAT!!!!
The following is form JEGS.
Carter Competition Series Mechanical Fuel Pumps
Big-time fuel flow for big-time performance. Carter Competition Series Race Super mechanical fuel pumps deliver big-time fuel flow. Their free-flow output is 172 gph. Despite this high capacity, their compact size means that they often fit where other high-performance pumps won't. In addition, they're ''clockable,'' which allows rotation of the inlet and outlet. They have heat-treated, high-speed levers, plus -10 AN inlets and -8 AN outlets, with fittings included. With 7 to 8.5 psi operating pressure, no regulator is required.
180-M61045 Big Block Chevy $142.99
Priced right too!

wet77
10-12-2007, 02:25 AM
I have heard mixed reviews on the race pump. They look trick, but known too many w/ failures. Hopefully they have worked out their problems. I spend a lot of money on my fuel pump, but its cheap insurance. I use a product engineering system, have on the last 3 big blown motors(different boats), One 605 w/1471, big chiefs, and 20 lbs of boost. The pumps are incredible reliable, and w/ a great tech line. The pumps range from $250-$475 I think. Good LUck. Jocko
Just wondering what failures on the racepump you are talking about:confused:
Just so I can keep watch on mine if symptoms happen to start:idea:
Its been great so far, hope it keeps it up;)

VDRIVERACING
10-12-2007, 07:23 PM
I bought one just 'cause they looked cool. Now I look back and just shake my head. Why spend $300 for a pump with very mixed reviews, when you can have a reliable Edlebrock/Carter/whatever pump for less than half the price? Well, they do look cool...
I would not be as jaded, had the manufacturer made a genuine effort to help make it work. I wanted it to work. Spent gobs of time and money trying. If that had been an Edlebrock pump, they would have switched it out without question. Race Pump kept telling us we had vacuum leaks, set up wrong, and so on. So now the Race Pump is a paper weight, and the boat runs 100 with an $80 pump.
Maybe it's a quality control thing. Some swear by them. In response to wet77, I would keep an eye out for the engine bogging just after plane, and next time you have the opportunity, check out the cam surface the pump rod rides on; mine got dinged up and had to replace a $300 stick...

Outlaw
10-28-2007, 05:07 PM
Has anybody run the Aeromotive A1000 pump?
I'm thinking about doing the in tank install.

superdave013
10-28-2007, 05:21 PM
Clay Smith pumps are no frills, solid pumps that just work. And they cost at least 100 bucks less then the race pump.
What makes the Clay Smith pump different then the other 6 valve pumps are the valves themselves. They use steel valves insted of the alum ones. Built in Buena Park, CA by lifelong boaters.
They can also be rebuilt pretty easy.
I sell the Clay Smith with 1/2" ports for 120.00 shipped to any place in the lower 48.The USCG vent tube can be added for a little extra.

76miller
10-28-2007, 09:40 PM
I run a Clay Smith mechanical pump on my 548 with a 10:71 and two Dominators and 11 # of boost and haven't had any problems.
What regulator are you using ?? Any w/ a dual carb set up and a Clay Smith pump ? Aeromotive, Holley.....????

MKEELINE
10-29-2007, 07:44 AM
Has anybody run the Aeromotive A1000 pump?
I'm thinking about doing the in tank install.
I ran a A1000 pump, but replaced it before last season with a Clay Smith pump. The Aeromotive pump would drop a pound or so under boost, the Smith pump holds the pressure steady with no drop at all. I also like the idea of a mechanical pump, versus an electric pump, in a boat. Got mine from Superdave.

ghittner
10-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Clay Smith pumps are no frills, solid pumps that just work. And they cost at least 100 bucks less then the race pump.
What makes the Clay Smith pump different then the other 6 valve pumps are the valves themselves. They use steel valves insted of the alum ones. Built in Buena Park, CA by lifelong boaters.
They can also be rebuilt pretty easy.
I sell the Clay Smith with 1/2" ports for 120.00 shipped to any place in the lower 48.The USCG vent tube can be added for a little extra.
That's a good price but do you need a regulator? That's why I chose the Carter, less parts the better for me, less to screw up.

BlueNun
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Has anyone sprung for the blueprint option on the Clay Smith pump?? Is it worth it??

superdave013
10-29-2007, 09:49 PM
Has anyone sprung for the blueprint option on the Clay Smith pump?? Is it worth it??
you must be thinking of the oil pumps. The fuel pumps come ready to run. The only thing you could do is have the outside polished and add a USCG vent tube connection.

superdave013
10-29-2007, 09:50 PM
That's a good price but do you need a regulator? That's why I chose the Carter, less parts the better for me, less to screw up.
yes, they require a regulator.

2manymustangs
10-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Gimme a shout, I sent you a PM about Clay Smith pumps.

1968Droptop
10-30-2007, 04:12 PM
What pressure do they run ? I have a Holley 172gph, it stated I needed to use a regulator, but also stated max psi was 9lbs. That 'max' should be fine for a carb, right ?
I plan on talkling to you over the winter about one of the Clay Smith pumps. I didn't know you could get me a pump when I ordered my Holley's, and had to make my own. Took the bottom off a 172 BBC Holley, and put it with the top of my 130 BBF Holley. Has worked w/o issue's to date, but would feel better if I had one designed for high gph and my Ford application. The Smith's are rated at 130 gph correct ? Anything larger ? Thanks for sharing the info Dave !

superdave013
10-31-2007, 07:53 AM
here is a BBF pump. I do not have them in stock but can get them within the same day if need be.
130 GPH is the biggest one they make and will support 1,000 hp no problem. They put out 14+ psi so using a regulator is a must.
2manymustangs, I met you at the last Long Beach race. Most of those GN boats are running the Clay Smith pumps.
I just looked at their web site and noticed their pricing is wrong. They sell them for 120.00 over the counter but do have them listed at 105.50 on their site. They honnor my min. advertised pricing on fittings and I was doing the same with their pumps. But seeing as they have them listed for 105.50 then that's the deal. I'll let them go at that price shipped.
If anyone has any intrest just call me at 714 223 9322. Please don't pm me as I come here to screw off and hate doing biz via pm's.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9bbf_pump1.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/9bbf_pump.jpg

GofastRacer
10-31-2007, 05:59 PM
Or a bypass, I made one out of an injector pill holder, plain, simple and reliable!..:D

pops454
11-03-2007, 11:38 AM
I really have to agree with that there Clay Smith pump!!
Hey Art.... $0.02 What you didn't work to day......:rolleyes: