PDA

View Full Version : Fe motor problems

Running_on_Empty
10-08-2007, 08:01 PM
I've been working on my 64 ford galaxie 500 390. I have just rebuilt the motor and have just put a new starter and drive in it. It fired about 15 times and now acts like the battery is dead. I pulled it out and the starter drive looked chewed up. I shimmed it and put it back in and it started 2 or 3 more times and quit. Any suggestions?

GofastRacer
10-08-2007, 08:09 PM
I've been working on my 64 ford galaxie 500 390. I have just rebuilt the motor and have just put a new starter and drive in it. It fired about 15 times and now acts like the battery is dead. I pulled it out and the starter drive looked chewed up. I shimmed it and put it back in and it started 2 or 3 more times and quit. Any suggestions?
Dumb question, those starters bolt to the bellhousing what did you shim???...

Moneypitt
10-08-2007, 08:09 PM
I have a simular problem with a 428FE. I have the sheet metal plate in there and still have to put lock washers between the starter and the bellhousing or the drive drags the ring gear and chews itself up.....I have questioned the rebuilders and there is one other Ford starter that has less drive engagement. I have not tried it yet as mine is working at the present time.......When mine fails it just spins without turning the motor but has never acted as though the battery was dead......MP

GofastRacer
10-08-2007, 08:16 PM
I have a simular problem with a 428FE. I have the sheet metal plate in there and still have to put lock washers between the starter and the bellhousing or the drive drags the ring gear and chews itself up.....I have questioned the rebuilders and there is one other Ford starter that has less drive engagement. I have not tried it yet as mine is working at the present time.......When mine fails it just spins without turning the motor but has never acted as though the battery was dead......MP
Something don't sound right here, the starter indexes into the plate/belhousing, if you space it back it won't line up right???, I've never had a problem with a starter on an FE, don't understand why you would that's the way it comes from the factory????...

Running_on_Empty
10-08-2007, 08:22 PM
this is a pre 65 starter...the one with the shaft comming out and then you have to put the drive gear on the end....made for a 153 tooth flywheel. It seems that everytime I pull out the starter my start drive if fully extended as well. The only reason I shimmed it was out of curiosity as it would start at the time and once it shimmed I did. When I turn the key is barely moves the engine at all now.

GofastRacer
10-08-2007, 08:26 PM
this is a pre 65 starter...the one with the shaft comming out and then you have to put the drive gear on the end....made for a 153 tooth flywheel. It seems that everytime I pull out the starter my start drive if fully extended as well. The only reason I shimmed it was out of curiosity as it would start at the time and once it shimmed I did. When I turn the key is barely moves the engine at all now.
Ok gotcha, I know what you have why don't you just use a conventional starter???..

Running_on_Empty
10-08-2007, 08:38 PM
I would have to change the flywheel......

GofastRacer
10-08-2007, 08:41 PM
I would have to change the flywheel......
Ooops, that's right forgot about that, my bad!. :hammer2: Been away from FE's too long!..:rolleyes:

Running_on_Empty
10-08-2007, 08:55 PM
I guess I just don't understand why it would chew the flywheel......

Kindsvater Flat
10-08-2007, 08:56 PM
Sounds like either the pinion gear is wrong or the ring gear itself. I have ran into problems with old flatheads with so called replacement parts and actually having parts sized wrong. Either the teeth on the pinion or ring gear.
How deep is the contact pattern on the ring gear?

Moneypitt
10-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Something don't sound right here, the starter indexes into the plate/belhousing, if you space it back it won't line up right???, I've never had a problem with a starter on an FE, don't understand why you would that's the way it comes from the factory????...
Art, I shim mine forward, not to starboard. I thought it was due to a bad thrust bearing, be even the new mains didn't cure it....Weird I know...MP

Running_on_Empty
10-08-2007, 09:13 PM
well I'm considering a high torque starter.....the odd thing is that after 64 they switched starter designs.....but the powermaster high torque starter part number 6606 claims it works from motors ranging from 1963-1970....I don't know how this could be because 64 and before were 153 tooth flywheels and 65 and later would be a 184 tooth flywheel

GofastRacer
10-09-2007, 04:28 AM
well I'm considering a high torque starter.....the odd thing is that after 64 they switched starter designs.....but the powermaster high torque starter part number 6606 claims it works from motors ranging from 1963-1970....I don't know how this could be because 64 and before were 153 tooth flywheels and 65 and later would be a 184 tooth flywheel
They forgot to mention about the flywheel thing!..

GofastRacer
10-09-2007, 04:29 AM
Art, I shim mine forward, not to starboard. I thought it was due to a bad thrust bearing, be even the new mains didn't cure it....Weird I know...MP
Yes very weird!..:confused:

TonkaDriver
10-09-2007, 08:40 AM
BigBlockOldsJet and Steelcomp where are you when we need you to police what is posted in the V-Drives forum. These people are talking about a Ford Galaxie.......Oh, the horror that this would be in V-Drives and not in gearheads. Where are you to save us?
Ok I am done with that.
Kurt
P.S. Sorry, I couldn't resist after BigBlockOldsjet was so condescending about Mitch posting about John Force and his crash here.

Rattle Can Lou
10-09-2007, 08:56 AM
You can solve your problem with one phone call probably. Ron the staarter guy in Parker. We were having all kindsa problems in Needles with my brothers tunnel port and Ron met us with a new one and bolted it in and done...His phone number is 928 669 6411 His name is Ron. Great guy and knows his shiat...

Running_on_Empty
10-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm sorry I guess I shouldn't of posted this here...wasn't thinking....

TonkaDriver
10-09-2007, 05:54 PM
I'm sorry I guess I shouldn't of posted this here...wasn't thinking....
I wasn't saying anything bad about you posting this here, I was making a joke about a previous thread and how upset someone got over what forum it was in.
Sorry for the poor attempt at humor
Kurt

Lefty
10-09-2007, 06:12 PM
I wasn't saying anything bad about you posting this here, I was making a joke about a previous thread and how upset someone got over what forum it was in.
Sorry for the poor attempt at humor
Kurt
Come guys your supposed to go back and forth and talk trash remember Tony S. is in the hospital and needs a good forum fight to take his mind off his injurys.

Running_on_Empty
10-09-2007, 08:17 PM
put a 65 or newer starter in it....works fine...problem solved. Doesn't seem like the flywheel makes a difference.