PDA

View Full Version : Oil Cooler plumbing

Nubbs
02-28-2006, 07:51 AM
Hey all. I got an oil cooler I need to hook up. How do you guys have yours plumbed?
Thanks
Nubbs

Wet Dream
02-28-2006, 09:58 AM
Several ways to do it.
From the pump to a T, one goes through the cooler and dumps, the other through your motor then dump.
The other:
From the pump, through the cooler, to the motor, then dump.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
02-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I would plumb it from the pump to the oil cooler then to the block. Then you put adapter on the oil filter then 2 lines will go to the oil cooler. Thats it;)
I hope peeps can chine in on here with some pics....

Nubbs
02-28-2006, 11:08 AM
Thanks for the replies so far. Any pics would be great!
Nubbs

PC Rat
02-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I haven't done it yet, but this is how I was thinking about doing my Eliminator-
run it in line of the bypass. I figure that the bypass will only get water at the upper RPM range, hoping the oil will get some heat in it but when you get on the throttle hard it won't get too hot.
Brian

JAY4SPEED
02-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Which oil cooler did you get and where from?
Jay

Nubbs
02-28-2006, 06:56 PM
I bought a Sen Tec (I think) heat exchanger from some guy off ebay. It's nothing pretty to look at, but it will work.

Aluminum Squirt
03-01-2006, 12:22 AM
Nubbs, I run mine right off the pump, through my regulator (actually a by pass), through my cooler and into the block. My oil lines run out of an oil filter block off plate, through twin oil filters, through the cooler, and back into the block off plate. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Only thing I really gave some thought to was filter first then cool or vice/versa. I theorized that hot oil is thinner and would filter easier than cooler oil. Not sure if that makes sense but it seems to work pretty well for me. I've got a couple of photos that show it pretty well. I'm not smart enough to post them so send my your email and I'll send you a couple of photos-Aluminum Squirt

Nubbs
03-01-2006, 07:03 AM
Nubbs, I run mine right off the pump, through my regulator (actually a by pass), through my cooler and into the block. My oil lines run out of an oil filter block off plate, through twin oil filters, through the cooler, and back into the block off plate. I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Only thing I really gave some thought to was filter first then cool or vice/versa. I theorized that hot oil is thinner and would filter easier than cooler oil. Not sure if that makes sense but it seems to work pretty well for me. I've got a couple of photos that show it pretty well. I'm not smart enough to post them so send my your email and I'll send you a couple of photos-Aluminum Squirt
PM sent.

flat broke
03-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Nubbs,
I ran mine on my old boat the same way Aluminum Squirt did with the exception that I used a single filter, and regulator instead of a bypass on my cooling system. In my old setup, it was actually pretty cool, because the oil temp never got out of control, but more importantly, as the block started to stack pressure at higher RPMs, I could actualy see the cooler efficiency increase because the temp would actually pull down on longer runs. Now my cooler is a 4"x22" deal, so it is plenty beefy, but the plumbing seemed to work for the application.
To anyone else, and I'll post this over in gear heads as well:
Would using a stock GM oil cooler bypass valve PN 25013759 on my mkIV block flow as well as the setup I have above? I am trying to do a cleaner install in the next boat, and getting rid of two -10 braided runs by leaving the filter in the stock location and plumbing the oil cooler through the fittings above the filter pad with this valve would definitely accomplish this.
My concern is that if I install the bypass, the sucker has to be pretty much destroyed to be removed which means the oil system would see contamination. The last thing I want to do, is slap this thing in there, find out it sucks and have to tear down to remove it and sanitize everything.
Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris