PDA

View Full Version : 454 mod???

gabe79
10-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I hava a stck 454. Whats the simplest and next mod upgrade I can do to the engine. Thanks!!

gabe79
10-09-2007, 11:02 AM
:confused:

ck7684
10-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Thats a pretty general question...what do ya got and how much ya wanna spend?

Some Kind Of Monster
10-09-2007, 11:18 AM
You could paint it a pretty color :idea:

gabe79
10-09-2007, 11:43 AM
BBC Maybe with something bolt on power...Im not lookin too extreme...Something to do well boats being painted and trailer powder coated...

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Cam kit,intake,carb and headers. Thats the cheapest motor upgrade IMO.....

SmokinLowriderSS
10-09-2007, 07:48 PM
Nitrous. 100 to 150HP kit like my NOS Sniper kit, or similar. 150HP MAX untill you know you have forged pistons. Under carb plate, especially on a dual-plane iron manifold.
More ideas depend on what equip you have. (meaning heads, exhaust, and (worst) Cubic MONEY) :D
BIGGEST gains are to be made from proper cam kit, intake, exhaust, and either head work or good aftermarket heads. Biggest $$$$ spent too.
Many other small things too to make it reliably solid (bulletproof).

Moneypitt
10-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Leave it alone, period. Enjoy the boat the way it is, for what it is......If you really want to "fix" something, buy another block, crank, rods, heads, cam, and all the sirens and bells that go with the cubic dollar performance ideas. It may take you 2 or 3 seasons to finish the "Badassed" motor. Those same 2 or 3 seasons you have been using your reliable, existing engine, to have fun in the sun........So now the performance engine is done, 2 or 3 seasons later, it may last 2 or 3 minutes, 2 or 3 hours, 2 or 3 days, weeks, months, years. If this stuff was easy everyone would be doing it. I can tell you from experience, the minute you start fixing something that isn't broken, it will be.......The best part of building an entirely different engine to go a little faster is you can then reinstall "ol reliable" and save the season when some little part fails and wipes it all out.........Been there, done that.....I don't know of a single use for an engine that is as hard on them as a jet boat. If you have a good one now don't mess with it. Alot of people have tried, and have great stories to tell you from THE BEACH while their "really fast" boat sits home broken, spindled, and mutilated........Just my .02..........MP

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-09-2007, 11:17 PM
Leave it alone, period. Enjoy the boat the way it is, for what it is......If you really want to "fix" something, buy another block, crank, rods, heads, cam, and all the sirens and bells that go with the cubic dollar performance ideas. It may take you 2 or 3 seasons to finish the "Badassed" motor. Those same 2 or 3 seasons you have been using your reliable, existing engine, to have fun in the sun........So now the performance engine is done, 2 or 3 seasons later, it may last 2 or 3 minutes, 2 or 3 hours, 2 or 3 days, weeks, months, years. If this stuff was easy everyone would be doing it. I can tell you from experience, the minute you start fixing something that isn't broken, it will be.......The best part of building an entirely different engine to go a little faster is you can then reinstall "ol reliable" and save the season when some little part fails and wipes it all out.........Been there, done that.....I don't know of a single use for an engine that is as hard on them as a jet boat. If you have a good one now don't mess with it. Alot of people have tried, and have great stories to tell you from THE BEACH while their "really fast" boat sits home broken, spindled, and mutilated........Just my .02..........MP
Im going to have to agree with Ray on this one;) Well put;)

Jetaholic
10-10-2007, 05:27 AM
Very well put.
It seems that when you build shit to go fast...you work everything harder, which wears everything faster and increases the chance of something going wrong.
Fast ain't cheap by any means. You gotta pay to play.

ck7684
10-10-2007, 07:13 AM
Or do what I did and build a somewhat mild engine with top of the line parts and hope it lasts :)

SmokinLowriderSS
10-10-2007, 01:14 PM
You party pooper MP. You are right tho. :)

gabe79
10-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Well I dont want to do wheelis in the water. Plus I enjoy toying around with boats and it seems like a fun sometimes a pain in the ass job but what the hell. I plan on getting me something like a 24-26 footer at the beginning of the year. I want to redo this one for my dad and bros. Thanks on the input though.

1978 Rogers
10-10-2007, 02:41 PM
You could paint it a pretty color :idea:
There you go, paint it Ford Blue. LOL.