PDA

View Full Version : Place diverter Hydrolics ?

cave
06-21-2003, 08:05 AM
I got My BBC running good now and I thought to myself "Huh I better check the diverter". nothing happend. I had a pin-hole in the line. I cut it and put a union in and tryied again . Nothing. Is there a way to bleed out the air. I tried bleeding the air out by loosening the pressure nuts. Still nothing. Seems like the pump is working. Fluid comes out when I loosen the fittings. Alot of fuid comes out. I took the lines off the diverter itself to check if the piston part was jamed. It is not. Free movement up and down. Any way other than the fittings to bleed out the air??? I hope it air. This ever happen to anyone out there stuck at home too. Maybe maniana.If I can get it to work.
Thanks if you can help.
cave
[ June 21, 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: cave ]

LVjetboy
06-21-2003, 10:20 AM
Sounds like the pump's working if it squirts. The pump should self-bleed trapped air...if you have enough fluid in the reservoir to replace the air in the lines. You checked the reservoir level right?
jer

cave
06-21-2003, 10:24 AM
Yea I did check it and I have refilled it. If I loosen the fittings on the valve body I can push the diverter down. Then it goes back up but wont go down. It may be the valvs orings. Do you have a link to Place. I searched for Place diverters but end up with cp performance and others. They dont seam to have a valve body for sale on its own... Thanks LVjetboy
for responding

LVjetboy
06-21-2003, 10:36 AM
I believe the hydraulics are Bennett. Here ya go:
http://www.bennetttrimtabs.com/partprice.htm
I've heard they're pretty good on warranty, so may want to call them first.
jer

propless
06-21-2003, 02:32 PM
Run a direct feed from both the + & - to a spare switch to the divertor and test. I found out last year that my divertor only worked when powered up in the water and not on trailer (voltage issue)- rewired and works great at any time now.

Duane HTP
06-21-2003, 04:36 PM
If you don't have any luck getting the old unit to work, I have a complete used Bennett pump assembly for sale for $150.00 if you need it.

novaguy
06-21-2003, 11:01 PM
Duane,
I may be interested in that pump. When my boat was stolen, the assholes stole my hydrualic pump for my Place diverter. Does Place use Bennett pumps? Sorry, I am clueless about this stuff...Wes (Froggystyle), is rigging my boat and I don't know if he got a pump yet or not, if not, I may be interested in yours.

cave
06-22-2003, 11:53 AM
Thanks for all suggestions guys. I narrowed it down to either the switch or Valve body. The Pump work fine. The valvebody may have a worn O ring or what ever controles the movement inside. I think I can pick up a new switch for that. I'l never buy onther one from CP performance. I got burn from them on one of those stearing wheel switches lasted one day. Then fell apart. Plastic plus AZ heat = NO BUENO Plastic Parto.
Duane HTP
Thanks for the offer. Looks like novaguy may need it more than I do right now. 150 bucks is a fair price too.
novaguy
Did you get your boat back? Must be some one who needs one for there boat. Did you mark yours?
Thanks again for all your help...

spectratoad
06-22-2003, 12:05 PM
I am getting ready to go put my new pump in. If it is less than 5 years old it is under warranty. Bennett and Place lined me up and replaced my pump. Mine was doing the same thing. Mike with Rex marine has a thread in here that covers all sorts of testing for the pump to see if that is you problem.

cave
06-22-2003, 12:37 PM
spectratoad
Do you have the link to that thread Anyone else have that link?????
[ June 22, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: cave ]

martym
06-22-2003, 03:08 PM
I was just reading this post and just had the same problem. The pump would go up but not down. Sent the pump to place diverter and they sent it back saying it was good. The finding was where my forward and reverse handle was when taking it out of reverse into forward it was rubbing the wire up to the switch and got to a point that the pump would not go down. The wire was not making a good connection as time went by it rubbed the area enough to not make a good contact.There was power but not enough to move it. Hope this helps.

novaguy
06-22-2003, 03:19 PM
cave:
Thanks for all suggestions guys. I narrowed it down to either the switch or Valve body. The Pump work fine. The valvebody may have a worn O ring or what ever controles the movement inside. I think I can pick up a new switch for that. I'l never buy onther one from CP performance. I got burn from them on one of those stearing wheel switches lasted one day. Then fell apart. Plastic plus AZ heat = NO BUENO Plastic Parto.
Duane HTP
Thanks for the offer. Looks like novaguy may need it more than I do right now. 150 bucks is a fair price too.
novaguy
Did you get your boat back? Must be some one who needs one for there boat. Did you mark yours?
Thanks again for all your help... Did I get my boat back from who? From the asshole that stole it, yes...from Wes, no...I did not mark mine, I didn't think my boat would have ever gotten stolen. Lesson learned...I have pictures of the work that Wes has done so far posted in The Sandbar under Mojave Project I believe.

Duane HTP
06-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Yes, Novaguy, the bennett motor and pump is what Place sells. Mine would work for you.

LVjetboy
06-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Post #4?
[ June 22, 2003, 05:42 PM: Message edited by: LVjetboy ]

spectratoad
06-22-2003, 05:22 PM
Sorry it took so long to reply. The thread is under gear heads forum.
Here is Mike from REx Marine's reply:
Place uses a Bennett Pump but with special solenoid assy on it. Test the pump by pulling the plastic cover off and disconnecting the pump power wire from the solenoid loom and energizing it with 12V. Obviously make sure the ground wire is hooked up. If the pump works you have a solenoid problem, if it doesn't you have a pump problem. Tap on the solenoids as sometimes that will free them up. Doesn't fix them but at least tells you what the problem is. I know of no feature that shuts it off automatically for low fluid.
We've had several of these pumps fail over the years. Many times Bennett or Place will warranty them, sometimes not if they're old or abused. If you need help just call Bob or Tom here Monday AM. They're both very familiar with these units. We can also handle any warranty situation you might have if your pump's bad if it's under warranty.
--------------------
Mike
Hope it helps a little. Just put mine back in today and the diverter works agains. :D

cave
06-22-2003, 06:15 PM
Awsome spectratoad . Thanks for researching that for me. I'll see what they say Monday. Thanks again.

spectratoad
06-23-2003, 04:25 AM
I just had the same problem with mine. I could hear the solenoid click but no workie. I went on the threads here and then I spoke with Tim Place @ Place diverter and told him exactly what went wrong and he sent me straight to Bennett. Those two places are awesome or should I say that one "Place" and Bennett are awesome. I even had a trim switch that I broke when I hit a wave and Bennett upgraded me to a $70 rocker switch for $20.
Anyway if all else fails just get ahold of Place Diverter (I found it on the internet)and they will steer you in the right direction.

cave
06-23-2003, 03:13 PM
spectratoad
I just checked my email and I got a reply from Bennett. He gave me some instructions to do before I contact him again. He said contact me soon. Thats awsome C/S. Thanks for all your help. I hope it all goes well. I want to be out on the lake by the 4th. Thats when my vacation kicks in. Sucks to be boatless...

victorfb
06-24-2003, 09:01 AM
you guys are scaring me. i just ordered a new place diverter for my Berk JC from CP performance. (never had one before) is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening? maintanance? are there right and wrong places to mount the pump? and about that switch, would it be wise to get a differant switch from the get go? i love the steering wheel switch and trim guage that ive seen on many boats, but those darn things are expensive. gunna have to be an upgrade at a later date. i will most likely replace the plastic line with stainless braided as i allready have it here at the house. should i make sure i stay with the same ID line?

spectratoad
06-24-2003, 09:13 AM
The pumps have a five year warranty and Place Diverter and Bennett were both awesome about getting my pump replaced.
I don't know much about hydraulics but I would stay with same size line. It was designed that way and you will be sure to stay with warranty stuff.
My pumps are mounted at the transom. One for Place Diverter and one for trim tabs. I have the steering wheel switch for diverter and rockers for trim tabs.

LVjetboy
06-24-2003, 09:22 AM
Victor, I think you'll be happy with your PD. Braided steel is the way to go, plastic line fittings tend to leak. Had the local hydraulics shop make some...they need to be high pressure. You don't need a perfect match on ID, just be aware that a smaller ID will slow movement somewhat. The braided lines I used are slightly smaller, but still have stop to stop in about 3 seconds.
I mounted the pump on the transom, away from heat and water. Just make sure you have a good ground and high quality switch. Originally, I used a cheapo switch mounted under my shifter...hard to get to and eventually broke. Had to hot wire to get back to the dock. Now I have the steering wheel switch. All I can say is I should've done that in the first place. No more groping for a switch with one hand when that unexpected wake appears, just a quick flick of the thumb.
jer

victorfb
06-24-2003, 09:23 AM
just curious... is there any way to slow the pump a bit? i talked to someone with a place diverter and he said it was hard to fine tune it. hit the switch and it moves to fast. he did buy the diverter used. can it be possible that the previous owner changed the pump? does anyone else have this problem?

victorfb
06-24-2003, 09:28 AM
thanks LV... answered my question before i can ask it. damn thats cool. ill relay the messege to my friend. maybe he can try the smaller size line. as for the switch, ill have to see were and how much i can get just the steering wheel switch. i agree with ya, it would be nice to have it right at your finger tip.

ChetCapoli
06-24-2003, 09:37 AM
victorfb:
you guys are scaring me. i just ordered a new place diverter for my Berk JC from CP performance. (never had one before) is there anything i can do to prevent this from happening? maintanance? Yes there is something you can do, buy an AGGRESSOR DIVERTER and avoid all the crappy solenoids of the bennett pump and the price difference to boot. The pump for the aggressor is simple hook up, maintenance free and faster up down time. Plus is comes with all the "extras" that a place has as standard equipment. Geez..starting to feel like HBJet now with his shops. LMAO!
CHET

victorfb
06-24-2003, 10:25 AM
hey, thats great chet. as a matter of fact i think ill just junk my boat and get one exactly like yours. that way we both can have the fastest, best looking, most HP, perfect boat around. then again, can i just have yours?
i would just love to be that guy that has the quikest, fastest, nicest looking boat on the water.
well, on second thought, id rather keep the boat i have. its been a great boat and i enjoy driving it. i dont have to worry about trying to find ways to shave off a tenth of a second, gain another mph, or see how high i can get the rpms up. i do however want to keep the boat in good working order, and ask advice (from SOME of the nice people on here). and there ARE some. i didnt ask " what is the best diverter" nor do i want to change. i will be very happy with my new Place diverter im sure. and if i can find info on how to keep it in perfect running condition, thats a plus. i wont be installing a 1200 Hp motor, changing pumps, etc. nor do i want to. i cruise my boat and enjoy the times i get to. and now i will be able to make that sunset cruise down the river with a roostertail glisening in the orange glow of our wonderful west coast sky. damn i cant wait.
oh yea.... thanks for the wonderful advice!

cave
06-24-2003, 11:00 AM
victorfb Why would your friend want to slow the action down? I wish mine was faster. I'm not sure what I did wrong with mine. I dont think I did anything that would cause it to go bad. I did have a pin hole leak. That may have caused it maybe. I still had a full tank of fluid before I seen it smoking on the pipes. Oh well. So far Bennett has been Awsome. Most Companies dont care once you have paid. Your on your own.
victorfb Get your switch from Rex Marine or someone else. I had so many problems with my 75.00 streering wheel mounted switch. Never heard from them. Crappy C/S
[ June 24, 2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: cave ]

victorfb
06-24-2003, 12:15 PM
my friend says he is having a hard time to get a small adjustment in the unit. when he hits the switch , it moves past were he wanted it. it may be the switch itself i dont know. i havent seen it yet. i think ill take your advice and give REX a call or somewere i can find a good switch. try and learn from yours and others missfortune. sorry to hear about your trouble. but thanks for all the advice.

cave
06-24-2003, 04:26 PM
victorfb Live and learn. I got My Place Diverter from CPP too. The unit was fine I just got no responce for the switch. When I got my First Place Diverter Rex Marine and others were not online yet. CPP does have some good stuff. I myself try to offer the best C/S to all my customers. My job requires it. I guess I expect the same.
I really think this is going to work out. I really thank all you guys for your links and advice. If not at least bennett returned my e mail.

victorfb
06-24-2003, 08:31 PM
i sure hope it works out for ya aswell. im sure ill be happy with the place diverter from CP. they did have the best price and actually had one in stock. i hear they are back ordered at many other places. and i, like most people, am too excited to wait that long... gotta have it now!!! hahaha
ill be calling rex tomorrow for the switch. thanks again for all your help. (everyone)

cave
06-25-2003, 11:11 AM
This is the responce I got from Bennett Marine today.
I will ship an exchange Place Diverter Dual Acting Hydraulic Power Unit
today for tomorrow to replace your faulty one, so please wait for the
new one to arrive before shipping back the faulty one since we will need
to have the BLUE SHIPPING INVOICE that comes with the new one sent back
too. After you make the exchange, please let me know how it turns out
as soon as can!
I look forward to your reply.
Sincerely,
M.J. Thomas
Client Services
Bennett Marine Inc.
Now thats Customer Service!!!!!!!
THANKS spectratoad Have a great summer

spectratoad
06-25-2003, 09:05 PM
That is the same guy I spoke (e-mailed) with when I exchanged mine. He was awesome and lightspeed for response. Glad that worked out for you. I am headed to Shasta, FINALLY, on Friday with working place diverter (in the driveway). Have a good summer too cave. :D :D

Danhercules
06-27-2003, 06:06 AM
cave:
victorfb Why would your friend want to slow the action down? I wish mine was faster. Thats me. When I am in full roost and wanna make a speed run, its hard for me to get it to come down the the right spot. The diverter goes too far, and when I hit it up again, it goes to far. Its new, so it could be me. I might have to gat used to the switch, but it is faster than 3 seconds from stop to stop.