PDA

View Full Version : Bare Block Paint????

Sanger Jet
02-28-2006, 10:02 AM
I need to paint my bare block inside and out.......I want it gloss black what works??? Thanks Darren

FLEA DIDDY
02-28-2006, 10:08 AM
I need to paint my bare block inside and out.......I want it gloss black what works??? Thanks DarrenWhat you talkin bout willis? " Inside and OUT "? lol rattle can if you don't have access to automotive paint. Just prep the hell out of it and use some BULLDOG adhesion promoter. Get that extreme temp crap at wallyzone and get after it. Good luck. I've painted 3 blocks but used ppg and sprayed it with a gun. I haven't had any problems but havent used rattle can before.

Squirtin Thunder
02-28-2006, 10:39 AM
I would clean it real well and remove any oils from the surface and spray Lubrabond A on the inside, real good slippery shit. :cool:

billet racing
02-28-2006, 10:47 AM
I've used Imron on my blocks for years. This stuff is real durable. can even survive a few trips in the hot tank.
Anyone try powder coating?
Jerry

Sanger Jet
02-28-2006, 10:50 AM
I would clean it real well and remove any oils from the surface and spray Lubrabond A on the inside, real good slippery shit. :cool:
Thanks Jim

FLEA DIDDY
02-28-2006, 11:05 AM
I've used Imron on my blocks for years. This stuff is real durable. can even survive a few trips in the hot tank.
JerryDood you do know it's 2006 huh? lol. Imron is poison but like you stated its tough.

n8dawg
02-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Jerry
Imron... good stuff we used it on a few engine build ups back in the day. I don't think you can find it anymore in california. I could be wrong.
My last block we painted prepped the block and used about 4-5 rattle cans of good engine paint and it came out sweet. It's all about prepping!!

NELSON#109
02-28-2006, 02:34 PM
rattle can is crap, no matter what you use. take the time to spray decent paint. even cheap aoutomotive paint works good. ive been using nassen for a while, and it works sweet. nassen is about as cheap a car paint as you can find. about $80 a gal. believe me, im not a painter, and even i get great results. you can burry it, and it will smooth out the block. like others have said, prep is key.

billet racing
02-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Yeah, Imron is still available. Shops cannot not use it, but an individual can. Sold for boats and airplanes. They will ask you its use, and numerous other questions. I have some , couple of gallons, white and gray. we paint our trucks with it.
Also use it on boat trailers.
Just use a resporator and filter the air. Like a Meth lab. You don't want your neighbors smelling this stuff.
Jerry

sleekcrafter
02-28-2006, 08:49 PM
I need to paint my bare block inside and out.......I want it gloss black what works??? Thanks Darren
The key is to have the primer bond to the surface, you can use the best of everything, but if it's not stuck, it's coming off. An etch primer is the best, especially if it's for internal engine use. There are some aerospace epoxy coatings (aviation that is) that are nearly impervious to anything, that are ideal for internal engine coatings, after an etch primer has been applied. Imron, is a great finish paint for engines, all though it's very difficult to work with as compaired to automotive finishes.
Sleek

LakesOnly
02-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Prep the surface to be painted very well. Absolutely degrease. Brake cleaner or acetone works well fo this.
Imron has changed a lot over the years. Sprays differently that I remember it. I shot Imron for years; the catalyst/activator had aliphatic polyisocyanates in it...a very concentrated form of cyanide. I wish I could show you all the look on the health inspector's face when I showed him what my job was. He told me that once I am sufficiently exposed to the aliphatic polyisocyanates, it will trigger the forever ongoing manufacture of antibodies in my bloodstream. Then years from now, somebody could open a can of the stuff in an open field and if the wind blew my direction, I'd drop and start hurling, etc. Did I wear a forced-air mask, he asked with a worried look in his eyes. Yes, I did.
Would I spray it again? Hell yes. The original Dupont Imron was the shit.
For the inside of the engine, if you must paint it, try electric motor armature paint, by Glyptal, I believe. Frankly, I don't like painting the inside of an engine, from fear of the paint flaking off and getting into the oiling system. Polish the inside of the motor, if anyting.
LO

Keyser
03-01-2006, 07:56 AM
Imron... good stuff we used it on a few engine build ups back in the day. I don't think you can find it anymore in california. I could be wrong.
My last block we painted prepped the block and used about 4-5 rattle cans of good engine paint and it came out sweet. It's all about prepping!!
I think Carquest on thompson in ventura still has it. I worked there a few years back as a counterman and paint mixer. See steve if you go in he can tell pretty much anything you need to know. Smart guy and pretty funny too :)