PDA

View Full Version : Campion, PowerQuest, or Donzi

CALI
09-13-2001, 05:58 PM
Looking for a 2000-2001 model boat. Current options are 27' Campion Chase 800, PowerQuest 26' Legend, or Donzi 26' HX. Campion is a lot less $$$ with equal or better performance. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Eric1969
09-14-2001, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by CALI:
Looking for a 2000-2001 model boat. Current options are 27' Campion Chase 800, PowerQuest 26' Legend, or Donzi 26' HX. Campion is a lot less $$$ with equal or better performance. Any recommendations? Thanks.
On the Forum "***boats Hotspots", there are some guys who have Donzis, PQ, and Campions. I can't remember who has what, but they talk about them in their conversations.

powerplay230
09-15-2001, 03:20 PM
I can't give you a comparison on those models but as an owner of a 1989 Powerquest I can only say that they build a good solid boat! When I finally look at a new one Powerquest will be my benchmark.

sea buddy
09-16-2001, 07:05 PM
Sometimes a fast top speed is a hard ride because the bottom is flatter or the strakes are wider. Most hulls will go 3-5 mph faster by widening the lift strakes about a quarter of a inch but you will ride hard in chop.

bill1134
09-25-2001, 11:48 AM
I purchase a 2001 Campion Chase800 in June.It is a boat that attracts alot of attention, especially from owners of the other brands you mention.It is the fastest in its class 72 mph on gps with a 496 HO.Its the best looking, turns like a 17 ft speed boat,and handles like a dream.Its built with all the latest technology and materials available.With the value of the american dollar over the canadian dollar the Chase 800 is a bargin so get one with a hp500!
[This message has been edited by bill1134 (edited September 25, 2001).]

Reckless288
10-01-2001, 10:13 PM
Skip them all and go Sunsation... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/cool.gif
Rick
288 Sunsation www.hrpa.homestead.com/homepage.html (http://www.hrpa.homestead.com/homepage.html)

wild willy
10-24-2001, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by CALI:
the campion is the best choice.

sea buddy
11-05-2001, 04:07 PM
Powerquest has a new owner. The factory will foward your interest in leftovers to a dealer that has one. The PA dealer has a 26' willing to take something like $20,000 off sticker.

Frank Civitano
11-13-2001, 03:04 AM
Depends on were you live for a Champion in the NE you cant get rid of them. My brother in law bought one 2 years ago a 30 with a 502 and is down to 39,000 the boat is immaculate but it is a no name boat.

DaveSunsation
11-13-2001, 05:57 AM
Cali,
If your would like a complete information package and video on Sunsation's world class line up of powerboats send me an email and we'll send it out right away or feel free to give me a call.
David Hare
COO
Sunsation Powerboats
810-794-4888
dhare@sunsationboats.com

RPM
12-16-2001, 01:59 PM
If you are still in the market, send me your phone number and I'll call you or email you what I have.
Rod

sea buddy
12-19-2001, 12:12 AM
Can help you get a champion or powerquest cheap. I am not a dealer, just know some doors.

spectras only
12-19-2001, 11:04 AM
When I look it the first post Cali states Campion Chase [made in Kelowna British Columbia Canada],not Champion ! Is Champion a us made boat?

RumRunner
12-23-2001, 07:32 AM
Cali
It really depends on what you want out of a boat, if your want a "Drviers" Boat that will handle like a sports car Contact Dave at Sunsation. They build a great boat. The quality is top notch, and performance is among the best, but they are a little tight if you're looking at taking out the whole family.
Doug

Reckless288
12-23-2001, 11:46 PM
PowerQuest or "QuestferPower" as we real men call it, is a family boat with nice things onboard to keep the wife and kids happy when they're out there when they really don't want to be. Nice boat, just not along the lines of a masculine get the good looks and comments kind of boat. Also, by all accounts a little snaky up on speed in terms of the chine wlk thing. Makes it a little uncomfortable for the friends riding along...
If you want performance and looks that will dazzle the buds up on the beach, not to mention solid fast results where the rubber hits the road, go Sunsation. Second choice would be Active Thunder or really vice-versa. Both are awesome offshore boats with slightly different characteristics but hull strength and solid offshore ride is a hallmark of each with "Bang For The Buck" bottom lines.
If your family is the primary concern and you need a toilette, and smancy cup holders then possibly PowerQuest (aka QuestferPower) is the safe ticket for you.
It all boils down to are you man or...
Fill in the rest on your own...
Rick www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html (http://www.HRPA.homestead.com/homepage.html)

fapplebee
12-24-2001, 04:10 PM
What are you smoking Reckless?
You must have PowerQuest envy!
It has to be one of the best performers there are out there. Bring up some real points because so far you have brought up no real arguments. If 90 MPH is not fast enough with good handling then you must smoke crack.
OR you have only ridden in a sunsation so you know nothing else!
Take your trash elsewhere!

PQVyper340
12-25-2001, 05:18 AM
I am a Scarab guy who just purchased a 2002 PQ Vyper and feel that they are an awesome boat. I am not an authority on the other brands but I do know some friends with the Donzi and it is a pretty awesome boat also. I would check both out because you can get an awesome deal on them as a result of the current economic climate.
If you want any other information on them check out their website: www.powerquestboats.com (http://www.powerquestboats.com) or email Mandi Brower at the factory for more information: MBrower@powerquestboats.com
Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions for you on the PQ.

Attitude
12-25-2001, 08:33 AM
I have looked at the Campion and was not impressed. You can actually push on the hull sides and watch them flex. This was my observation and in no way am I trying to say they are bad boats or junk I just think you have better choices.
I would go to a boat show (in water is best for this) and go back and forth between the models that you like get behind the helm and go with what fits (your needs) not someone elses. No matter what type boat you buy someone elses will be better (in their oppinion).

Tinkerboater
12-26-2001, 07:03 PM
I wouldn't consider the DONZI they tend to fall apart under normal offshore usage. I would go with the powerquest from your choices. Have you looked at the SCARABS they will take just about anything you can throw at them. Handle well and are still fast.

Reckless288
12-30-2001, 10:51 AM
All in all, there's a bad story to be told about each make/model. Donzi's are no different. My experience (thru friends) has been very positive...
Go look, shop, compare and run with your gut feeling. Bottom line is, "no matter what", there will be some little thing that you would've liked to seen different on whichever you buy...
The main goal is: ...did I get what I wanted performance-wise? Did I get what I wanted comfort-wise? Did I get what I wanted utilitarian-wise, i.e. do you trailer, what seas/waters "normally" run in etc. and certainly not the least....are you paying a reasonable price that won't drop quickly in value in a short time?
No matter what you buy you will certainly enjoy it and if nothing else you'll be able to check the block on having tried various makes and give good comparitive commentary to someone else in the future...
Best of luck...

n2boatin
01-01-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Reckless288:
All in all, there's a bad story to be told about each make/model. Donzi's are no different. My experience (thru friends) has been very positive...
Go look, shop, compare and run with your gut feeling. Bottom line is, "no matter what", there will be some little thing that you would've liked to seen different on whichever you buy...
The main goal is: ...did I get what I wanted performance-wise? Did I get what I wanted comfort-wise? Did I get what I wanted utilitarian-wise, i.e. do you trailer, what seas/waters "normally" run in etc. and certainly not the least....are you paying a reasonable price that won't drop quickly in value in a short time?
No matter what you buy you will certainly enjoy it and if nothing else you'll be able to check the block on having tried various makes and give good comparitive commentary to someone else in the future...
Best of luck...
I have read the above statments, Here's my story I had a Scarab traded for a Donzi and this Oct. I traded for an other Scarab I looked at all major name brand boat builders and found that (Wellcraft) the manufactor of Scarab was the best of them all the factory support was tops plus you need to think about resale ????

Tinkerboater
01-01-2002, 05:37 PM
AMEN on the scarab's. Yes you can hear horror stories about any manuf. but what about DONZI? check other sites. I have heard too many stories about them falling apart.

Monza 28
02-13-2002, 06:32 PM
You need to take a look at Checkmate. Stay away from Donzi, I live in Sarasota and they have a bad reputation.

Sandbar Mike
02-19-2002, 08:35 AM
I have to agree with Manzq 28,
We where running the Long Beach SCOPE Poker run last year in buy buddies 2001 33' Donzi ZX, After landing a sick 8ft leap out of a swell hole at about 95mph we cracked (2) main stringers. We where able to finish the run and Donzi did repair the stringers under warranty. If you like being without a boat for 3-4 months a year by Donzi.
No offence to Donzi owners.
Mike