PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about Park Moabi

Benjhamina
10-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I am going to Park Moabi for the first time ever this weekend. Looks like it will be cool enough to do some riding in the mornings and evenings but I am also bringing the boat. It's and IO. Is there anything I need to know about that part of the river this time of year. How are the water levels? Any shallow areas I should be aware of? Also I have never ridden this far east so any recommendations about where to ride are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Havasu_Dreamin
10-10-2007, 09:27 AM
I've only launched at Park Moabi once and that was this past June, great ramp. We've never had any problems up on that stretch of the river before running an I/O. We do not head any further North than the Needles bridge as we don't know the river well enough and it does get shallow...
Shippingguy (Mike) or Ultra 26 #1 (John) would be great resources on this as they boat on that stretch of river all the time...

Havasu1986
10-10-2007, 09:31 AM
I've only launched at Park Moabi once and that was this past June, great ramp. We've never had any problems up on that stretch of the river before running an I/O. We do not head any further North than the Needles bridge as we don't know the river well enough and it does get shallow...
Shippingguy (Mike) or Ultra 26 #1 (John) would be great resources on this as they boat on that stretch of river all the time...
I went past the bridge 1 time to look at my freinds new house on the river. NEVER again. :mad: Hit twice.

bunny 166
10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
I am going to Park Moabi for the first time ever this weekend. Looks like it will be cool enough to do some riding in the mornings and evenings but I am also bringing the boat. It's and IO. Is there anything I need to know about that part of the river this time of year. How are the water levels? Any shallow areas I should be aware of? Also I have never ridden this far east so any recommendations about where to ride are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I would stay below the Needles Bridge since you're not too familiar with the river--you'll be good all the way to Havasu. For the most part, the Arizona side is deeper--on the California side of the river there are alot of "washouts" from flash floods during the winter, so there are a few sandbars that stretch into the river. We are there all the time--it's a real nice place to boat. We do not ride around there, though, so I can't help you there. I'm sure there's alot of cool places, though. Take pics! Have fun....:)

ULTRA26 # 1
10-10-2007, 09:48 AM
I went past the bridge 1 time to look at my freinds new house on the river. NEVER again. :mad: Hit twice.
The only times I have gone North of the bridge any distance, I lost a skeg, prop or both. I stay to the South too.
I would agree with Bunny. As long as you stay South of the Needles bridge you should be fine. Been launching in Needles for over 10 years and have never had a problem anywhere South of the bridge.

Benjhamina
10-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for that advice. Just what I was looking for. So I am safe from the needles bridge all the way down to Havasu. I am looking foward to some new scenery. One of guys going is training for Baja so we are looking for allot of space to ride in. He wants to do 100 mile loops. Anything like that around there?

thumbs
10-10-2007, 10:12 AM
FYI - The OHV area at Park Moabi is closed.

WishIknew
10-10-2007, 10:17 AM
Thats just in the park you can ride in the desert all the way to barstow if you want PLEANTY of riding there

WishIknew
10-10-2007, 10:22 AM
You can also go across the bridge and ride to Havasu:D :D :D or maybe the sand hills behind topac

WishIknew
10-10-2007, 10:31 AM
We're going to Moabi Saturday. We'll be the guys with the 16 matching red boats...well, canoes.
I'll be the one looking like he needs a beer.
Only after boating its real easy to get a bad wrap here. I maybe going up on Sat for a little 4 wheelin?????

78Southwind
10-10-2007, 11:03 AM
We are going to be there this weekend too. I was in Havasu last weekend so we drove down to Moabi on are way home and at 2:00 PM the water looked to be down about 2-3 feet. As your coming out of the channel stay to your right on the left there is a small rock bar coming off the point. Like everyone else said if you stay below the Needles Bridge you should be fine.
I have taken my sea doo out when it was really low and I was surprised to see how many rock and sand bars there are between bullhead and Needles. Most of these rock and sand bars are on the California side. However, if you decide you want to venture up to the AVI there are two areas you should be aware of. I will explain these as you were traveling north to the AVI. The first area to look out for is just before you get to the Willow Valley Marina. As approaching the marina stay to the right on the Arizona side because there is a sand bar is in the middle of the river however, it also gets very shallow on the California side and this side is very rocky. The second area to look out for is just before the AVI Bridge, both the California and Arizona sides of the river are very shallow stay in the middle of the river and you should be ok.
From AVI Bridge Oct. 2004
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1676Avi_Low_River.JPG
I have never been riding at Park Moabi so I am not familiar with their trails but I know that the OHV area is closed for maintenance but it has said that on their web site for at least a couple years now. Here is a link to the web site. http://www.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/parks/ohv.htm

Benjhamina
10-10-2007, 11:06 AM
I called and someone told me that as long as we rode slow and quiet we could ride right out of our camping spot. Is that not the case?

Benjhamina
10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
We're going to Moabi Saturday. We'll be the guys with the 16 matching red boats...well, canoes.
I'll be happy to get you some beer some but you have to assure me you will not be the one paddling the canoe. We will have some kids out there and I don't need some drunk paddling out of control through our beach.:D :D :D

Benjhamina
10-10-2007, 11:13 AM
The first area to look out for is just before you get to the Willow Valley Marina. As approaching the marina stay to the right on the Arizona side because there is a sand bar is in the middle of the river however, it also gets very shallow on the California side and this side is very rocky. The second area to look out for is just before the AVI Bridge, both the California and Arizona sides of the river are very shallow stay in the middle of the river and you should be ok.
Thanks for the good info. I don't think we will be going that far up. We might to Havasu for lunch if we get a wild hair but I think I will be sticking around between Moabi and Topak.

WishIknew
10-10-2007, 11:24 AM
I called and someone told me that as long as we rode slow and quiet we could ride right out of our camping spot. Is that not the case?
You can do most anything there if you just be cool about it!!!!

PaPaG
10-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Only after boating its real easy to get a bad wrap here. I maybe going up on Sat for a little 4 wheelin?????
YOU have something to off road with? hmm I think I have pictures :D yes I know Youtube lol lol :D

PaPaG
10-10-2007, 02:40 PM
For off roading, Generally (outside the park) you can ride all the washes and all the dirt roads as long as there is no posting of No OHV. Its that time of year that BLM keeps a bigger eye in the area. The fines are huge....(well they ad up. According to the Needles BLM, $50-100.00 per bush you disturb and the BLM ranger can walk back through your path and fine you for every one he thinks or sees you hit, I have heard of up to 10-15k for 1 ticket) no kidding...
As for the river, it is real low parts of the day, if you see an extra 6-10 feet of beach out at the camp sites at Moabi anything close to the needles bridge has to be driven very carefully, I personally would not go within a mile or two of it when the water is real low. This time of year, never go past the needles bridge unless the water is being released or you can see the higher water line. (cat's and jets don't worry nearly as much).
Watch when you come out of the channel, go straight out just past the rocks on your right then hit it up river (about 150' feet) there is a little sand and rock bar on your left side just coming out the channel for about 75 feet so if you turn left right away that's gonna eats a lot of props.......if you go down river don't worry to much just stay near the middle all the way to the sand bar.....Just my .02.....

KineticoH20
10-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Hit twice:eek: your not supposed to boat with your anchor out:D we launch from there all the time, no problems at all.

Baja Big Dog
10-10-2007, 03:49 PM
Thanks for that advice. Just what I was looking for. So I am safe from the needles bridge all the way down to Havasu. I am looking foward to some new scenery. One of guys going is training for Baja so we are looking for allot of space to ride in. He wants to do 100 mile loops. Anything like that around there?
If he is training for Baja, why wouldnt he train on the course, pre running would be the best training he could get, and course knowledge is one of the most important things you could have in Baja.
Pre running starts Sat....:eek:

LEADFOOTjosh
10-10-2007, 06:03 PM
watch out from some of those hills.. they can be really tricky..
click on the jeep to watch it go up the hill.... or at least try too.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/LEADFOOTind/vids/th_MVI_0443.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/LEADFOOTind/vids/?action=view&current=MVI_0443.flv)

OutCole'd
10-10-2007, 06:13 PM
watch out from some of those hills.. they can be really tricky..
click on the jeep to watch it go up the hill.... or at least try too.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/LEADFOOTind/vids/th_MVI_0443.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/LEADFOOTind/vids/?action=view&current=MVI_0443.flv)
That was driver error......:D

WishIknew
10-10-2007, 06:32 PM
For off roading, Generally (outside the park) you can ride all the washes and all the dirt roads as long as there is no posting of No OHV. Its that time of year that BLM keeps a bigger eye in the area. The fines are huge....(well they ad up. According to the Needles BLM, $50-100.00 per bush you disturb and the BLM ranger can walk back through your path and fine you for every one he thinks or sees you hit, I have heard of up to 10-15k for 1 ticket) no kidding...
As for the river, it is real low parts of the day, if you see an extra 6-10 feet of beach out at the camp sites at Moabi anything close to the needles bridge has to be driven very carefully, I personally would not go within a mile or two of it when the water is real low. This time of year, never go past the needles bridge unless the water is being released or you can see the higher water line. (cat's and jets don't worry nearly as much).
Watch when you come out of the channel, go straight out just past the rocks on your right then hit it up river (about 150' feet) there is a little sand and rock bar on your left side just coming out the channel for about 75 feet so if you turn left right away that's gonna eats a lot of props.......if you go down river don't worry to much just stay near the middle all the way to the sand bar.....Just my .02.....
And the MAYOR OF MOABI Will Speak and Speak and Speak and Speak and Speak and !!!!!!!!! Oh and lookout for that bush Mr Red JEEP

LEADFOOTjosh
10-10-2007, 06:42 PM
hey.. turn off the ac
click the jeepy for more action
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/LEADFOOTind/vids/th_MVI_0438.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/LEADFOOTind/vids/?action=view&current=MVI_0438.flv)

OutCole'd
10-10-2007, 07:47 PM
And the MAYOR OF MOABI Will Speak and Speak and Speak and Speak and Speak and !!!!!!!!! Oh and lookout for that bush Mr Red JEEP
No respect for authority.......:mad: :mad: :D

WishIknew
10-10-2007, 08:02 PM
NONE!!!!!:) :) :) :)

uLtRADeNniS
10-10-2007, 09:26 PM
If you go up past the bridge..wait till after 2pm. Or.... Trim up and stay to your right! One really bad spot is right where the river front homes end... Just hug the right side and trim up. Theres a few more in the next few miles(not as bad)..Just use caution. But like I said, If you go after 2pm..your golden!

voodoomedman
10-11-2007, 06:00 AM
This is going to be a really silly question but.........
Is the Needles Bridge the first one you come into when you hit the riverfront homes in Needles? Two weekends ago we ventured up to Needles for the first time because it's supposed to be deep all the way up to the bridge. I stopped before coming to that first bridge. Water was deep all the way up to that point but I wasn't going to chance going past the first bridge. I think there's only one but I could be wrong.

Debbolas
10-11-2007, 06:05 AM
The water level is fine at Park Moabi. If you are camping there, watch the beach. The water level comes up about 4-6 feet some nights. We sand anchor our boat and use a sand spike. If you use a regular spike, put something over the top, so your boat will NOT float out onto the river. One of our friends didn't tie up his Sea Doo (many years ago) and it floated down to the Topok bridge.
We have seen beaver at Moabi and bats at night.
Have fun!
:D

Debbolas
10-11-2007, 06:05 AM
The water level is fine at Park Moabi. If you are camping there, watch the beach. The water level comes up about 4-6 feet some nights. We sand anchor our boat and use a sand spike. If you use a regular spike, put something over the top, so your boat will NOT float out onto the river. One of our friends didn't tie up his Sea Doo (many years ago) and it floated down to the Topok bridge.
We have seen beaver at Moabi and bats at night.
Have fun!
:D
We woke up to our boat out in the middle of the river ond morning :jawdrop:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/1566Lake_Mohave_and_Park_Moabi_049.jpg

PaPaG
10-11-2007, 10:43 AM
hey.. turn off the ac
click the jeepy for more action
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/LEADFOOTind/vids/th_MVI_0438.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y15/LEADFOOTind/vids/?action=view&current=MVI_0438.flv)
Again coming from a man with NO JEEP or should I say "NO RUNNING JEEP", when ever you open mouth make sure you can back it up, I can...... :D
Make sure you check out the 31" BFG's in the pics going up the hill, it took a few tries but it got up there Finally. Not a bad run for 31"s with 33lbs in 1 step above stock tires..
Anytime you want to go out for a real jeep run just give me a call and I will blast by your jeep...oh that is right you might there this weekend, hmm wonder what the excuse will be this time.....run what you brung that is unless you dont bring it due to fear or some excuse..... :D :eek: :D (oh this goes for the Trump man to)

PaPaG
10-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Thankfully I am not the Mayor, just friends with him. :D

PaPaG
10-11-2007, 10:48 AM
thats what happens when you are emuJecated and DONT want to break things to be forced to TOW THEM HOME TO FIX :D :eek:

WishIknew
10-11-2007, 10:23 PM
thats what happens when you are emuJecated and DONT want to break things to be forced to TOW THEM HOME TO FIX :D :eek:
Are we back to this AGAIN??????:idea: :idea:

WishIknew
10-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Better yet 'JUST BRING IT'

PaPaG
10-12-2007, 07:50 AM
ITS BRUNG :eek: oh oh I am speaking my native trailer park trash talk...
Benjhamina, are you going to be in the campgrounds or a peninsula spot?, we are going to attempt to go for a ride up river to the bridge later today or tomorrow if the conditions allow, if not we are going to head down past the topock bridge.

OutCole'd
10-12-2007, 07:54 AM
ITS BRUNG :eek: oh oh I am speaking my native trailer park trash talk...
Benjhamina, are you going to be in the campgrounds or a peninsula spot?, we are going to attempt to go for a ride up river to the bridge later today or tomorrow if the conditions allow, if not we are going to head down past the topock bridge.
Don't you work??

Baja Big Dog
10-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Don't you work??
Jealous??:D

PaPaG
10-12-2007, 09:27 AM
Don't you work??
At work now, but will be at the river in a few hours :D

WishIknew
10-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Work???????? Moabi is just rite NOW!!!!!!!!!

PaPaG
10-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Work???????? Moabi is just rite NOW!!!!!!!!!
Can't beat the weather today that is for sure :D

chub
10-14-2007, 09:35 AM
Will be out next weekend!:D :D :D :D

PaPaG
10-14-2007, 09:44 AM
Will be out next weekend!:D :D :D :D
Should be just as nice, don't forget about the Run in the Sun car show in Havi on Saturday at the golf course, lots of cool cars :D

WishIknew
10-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Looked for those 16 red boats from thur to sunday??????? weather was purfect!!!!

WishIknew
10-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Should be just as nice, don't forget about the Run in the Sun car show in Havi on Saturday at the golf course, lots of cool cars :D
And the MAYOR SPEAKS

PaPaG
10-15-2007, 09:13 PM
And the MAYOR SPEAKS
Did Jimmy slap say something I missed? :D

WishIknew
10-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Did Jimmy slap say something I missed? :D
We all know who is Mayor!!!!!

PaPaG
10-17-2007, 06:43 PM
We all know who is Mayor!!!!!
Don't know where you get off trying to pawn off the official title of the mayor, where do you think you are Jersey? :D