PDA

View Full Version : hbjet

mrgoslow
09-22-2003, 07:54 AM
finally got my hot boat and was reviewing specs on your engine and couldnt help but notice that lift (680)on a hydraulic roller. the writer called it low maintenance but did dne advise you to back off the rockers in the off season or let the springs eat. and btw, i was curious about how many hours you had on the motor and whether that things sucks down the fuel compared to your other motor. thanks

flat broke
09-22-2003, 09:26 AM
I'm sure Randy will get to you on this but I thought I'd address the spring pressure issue as it is a concern that some are aware of and others arent. When a cam manufacturer recommends a spring rate for their lobe profile, they also make that recommendation based on a specific RPM window. If you are going to be running below that window, I believe you can get away with lower spring rates so long as the lower rate will still keep a float condition from occuring. There is no sense setting up the valvetrain based on 7200RPM requirements if the motor will never see more than say 6200.
As for the fuel usage, I would have to guess that HB is seeing higher fuel bills these days. Not because the motor combination is hungrier, but because now he can't keep his foot off the loud pedal. :) A problem we should all have.
Chris

mrgoslow
09-22-2003, 11:40 AM
flat, i understand that but hb magazine stated the valvetrain was like a ronco oven "set it and forget it" what i was curious about was whether or not dne advised randy to back off the rockers to get the springs out of a bind when he did not plan to use the engine for extended periods of time. i ask this because that is one of the if not the largest HYDRAULIC roller sticks ive seen. i like it, it seems to work, just wondering if the mag had ir right.

flat broke
09-22-2003, 11:58 AM
I asked the same question in regard to a different cam profile with slightly more lift (although it was for mechanical roller setup) that I was inquiring about and was told there would be no isues leaving the lash set in between outings and during the winter months. I think the main reason for that goes back to the lower spring rates that are used in light of the fact that the motor won't see the RPM the cam manufacturer quotes as a theoretical maximum.
Ultimately only time will tell. :)
Chris

mrgoslow
09-22-2003, 12:14 PM
good enough, i run a 558/580 and would like to use a larger profile but i like my "ronco" valvetrain.

HBjet
09-22-2003, 12:25 PM
Dave never advised me to back off the rockers in the off season. According to him, I don't need to worry about that, and I don't think there will be any long periods of time that the motor sits not running for a while.
This winter we are going to make a small change to the oil pump and do a few other things, and I'm sure Dave will check over everything.
As for hours, well, I'm pissed I didn't add an hour gauge so I couldn't tell you, but I do drive the piss out of this motor, and it's hard not to run it WOT all the time.
Fuel, I'm actually surprised I didn't see a bigger drop in fuel usage. I'm pretty happy with the end result.
One last thing, this motor was being built WAY BEFORE Hot Boat contacted DNE to do a story. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.
HBjet

Blown 472
09-22-2003, 12:31 PM
WOW, talk about luck.

HBjet
09-22-2003, 12:43 PM
Blown 472:
WOW, talk about luck. Blown, I was going to send you a PM (but I'm on your ignore list) to ask you if you are being serious, or just starting shit? I would think, that if I was on your "Ignore List" you wouldn't want anything to do with me, but your actions contradict that.
Thanks
HBjet

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
09-22-2003, 12:48 PM
HBjet:
Blown 472:
WOW, talk about luck. Blown, I was going to send you a PM (but I'm on your ignore list) to ask you if you are being serious, or just starting shit? I would think, that if I was on your "Ignore List" you wouldn't want anything to do with me, but your actions contradict that.
Thanks
HBjet I'll be your huckleberry!!!! :D

Blown 472
09-22-2003, 12:49 PM
HBjet:
Blown 472:
Thanks
HBjet Really?? how do I fix that?? I am serious. You should have said you were going to chi town I might have come down and bought you some BEERS.

mrgoslow
09-22-2003, 12:51 PM
hb, i guess so tx and ca do have mild weather in common. as for the fuel, i just always heard that more hp takes more fuel. personally, i saw a dramatic increase in efficiency after tuning my engine on a dyno which is nice cause thats why it s called "to the wood". btw, that hydraulic roller is large, in charge and cruisin for chickies. sweet.

revndave
09-22-2003, 03:20 PM
HEY HB
WHEN WILL YOUR PUMP BE FIXED?NICE ARTICAL ON THE MOTOR.