PDA

View Full Version : 1/8 npt plugs near oil pan rail on BBC

Boostedballs
10-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I'm still prepping my late 70's block for the 496 stroker build. I got a couple questions:
*you know those little plugs near the oil pan rail? Should I remove them to clean the passages a little better?
*is it recommended to drill the oil passages bigger than stock for a twin turbo setup?

Moneypitt
10-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm still prepping my late 70's block for the 496 stroker build. I got a couple questions:
*you know those little plugs near the oil pan rail? Should I remove them to clean the passages a little better?
*is it recommended to drill the oil passages bigger than stock for a twin turbo setup?
I usually remove the front and rear plugs, pressurize with water and see what comes out inside. Clean, OK, leave them in.....Now if the block was a gummed up. like Penzoil without regular changes, take them out and bottle brush everything. Beware, they are a bitch to get out and usually round out the hex and have to be drilled and extracted.......That is why I leave them in if possible......Those plugs are there only because the cross passages had to be drilled..............I"ve never

GofastRacer
10-11-2007, 06:41 PM
I take every plug in the block out when cleaning, on an old block you just about have to drill all of them out anyways, I don't like taking chances!..

bajarunner
10-11-2007, 08:20 PM
You need to pull those out, period. Any foreign material in there from line honing, boring, or anything else like gum or gunk goes straight to the brand new main bearings.

ghittner
10-11-2007, 08:42 PM
PULL 'EM OUT! Clean, Clean, Clean....No mods necessary to the oiling system on BBC it's fine for well over 1000 HP.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Best advice I havce seen is get a torch, MAPP gas preferably, and you can feed propane to a MAPP torch and cut it from 2500* flame to 1700*. Look for at A/C supply places. Heat them to just this side of he!!, then douse well and repeatedly with WD-40 or PB Blaster. Once they have cooled completely, they generally come out decently easilly.

obnoxious001
10-12-2007, 02:16 PM
The best reason to remove them is so you can get a brush into the oil passage that feeds the main bearings. They can be a bit of hassle to remove, especially if the guy who installed them was a gorilla. 1/8" pipe plug doesn't need 75lbs of torque.

gn7
10-12-2007, 03:51 PM
EVERY PLUG, BRUSH EVERY PASSAGE, EVERY TIME! anything less is pure amatuer. Especially THOSE plugs.

Boostedballs
10-17-2007, 06:15 PM
They are coming out, I'll use the oxy/cet on them if I need to. I didn't even think about the mess from aling honing going straight into there! That could have cost me!

DetroitJim
10-19-2007, 10:27 AM
What I did is go buy a carbide drill, it will plow right through that plug like nothing. Then get a good EZ out with the fine spiral pattern. Use a good size handle, not a tap wrench. Crank it in and lean on it slowly. Keep steady pressure on it for a while and it gets the idea and comes right out.
DJ