PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Run Their Jet in the Ocean?

Michael2000
10-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I never see any jets in the ocean, other than big commercial vessels like Catalina Express. I was just curious if anyone had ever taken their jet boat out there and what happened. Did it cavitate with the waves? Did it get plugged with sea weed? Or did everything work OK?
Michael

Jetaholic
10-11-2007, 10:38 PM
As low as most of them ride you'd probly end up sinkin' the mufuka! :D

shaun
10-11-2007, 11:55 PM
i've wondered about it, i leave like a mile from the ocean and on some days man it looks smooth out there and like i could take a trip to the peir and back. I see boats the size of mine out there, my neighbors is a 17' and he goes out for hours. But his sits high and it made for it where as boats like ours sits low. I just hate the idea of my boat in salt water so i dont do it.
Now my sisters fiance has a 18' jet and he has taken it out a few times. He's never had any problems out there. he said it's great out there, the swells i guess are large enough that it's not really like hitting waves.
So i cant really say, i've been out there full bore in a dienni and it wasnt bad, and that think was probably 12ft?

FOURQ
10-12-2007, 05:04 AM
back in the day my Dad used to test the TFJ's in the ocen down in long beach. .My brother Nuckin futs and I have run his 20' southwind out there as well. no problems with anything just read the swells or you will be gettin BIG AIR :D

moneysucker
10-12-2007, 05:36 AM
We go out in the bay every year for bay fair saces in San Diego but you have to consider the havoc that the salt water plays on your electrical components. It usually kills a starter that race or at the very least has to be rebuilt. Of course Firebird raceway is worse.
Cy

boatgonewild
10-12-2007, 06:24 AM
I take my jet skiis in the ocean all the time,,so rolling my jet boat in the ocean wouldnt be that big of a deal.... alot smaller kinds of boats are out there.... but check the surf and run water through the motor and pump as soon as you exit the water.. I mean alot of water..... Salt will jack the bearings real bad.... RE grease the pump everytime.....but there is big air out there... so get some ...:)

Bow Tie Omega
10-12-2007, 06:45 AM
I was just talking about this with BrendellaJet and V-drive. I wanted to take the wife and kids down to Dan Point just to cruise and take my daughter to see the sea lions out at the nav bouy off of the point. As you all have mentioned, anticipate what is happening ahead of you. If you are going to go airborne, lift. Make sure you flush you motor after you are done and try to wash any of the salt water out of the pump. Use common sense and you should be ok.

Sleeper CP
10-12-2007, 07:08 AM
I have a friend that had a 21' mini-day crushier, so it had some good free-board on it. Here in San Diego he would launch at Mission Bay at on a smooth day run out of the channel and run up and down the coastline a few miles each direction.
Before launch he would use up a can of WD-40 on the engine and wirings. When he pulled it out he would double wash it. On the way home he would stop by a car wash and wash the boat and trailer and he would wash them again when he got home.
He loved it, as long as you have the free-board it's great.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Cas
10-12-2007, 07:13 AM
there really isn't any ill effects but don't forget to rinse the trailer really well and be sure to get the salt water out of the wheel bearings also. Flushing the engine and pump is only part of the cleaning process.
Water spots can be a pain in the arse, especially on the aluminum and chrome.

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
10-12-2007, 07:44 AM
All the time up here in Boston. Salt water gives you more boyancy (sp?) so you go faster!

Bow Tie Omega
10-12-2007, 07:51 AM
there really isn't any ill effects but don't forget to rinse the trailer really well and be sure to get the salt water out of the wheel bearings also. Flushing the engine and pump is only part of the cleaning process.
Water spots can be a pain in the arse, especially on the aluminum and chrome.
After having to deal with AZ's hard water, the hardest in the country, trust me, salt water would be a welcomed site

Legal Chemistry
10-12-2007, 10:16 AM
No problems here. Just rinse, wash rinse, wash rinse, rinse!
BTW, this coming back in Mission Bay.
http://www.socaljetboats.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10520/normal_mission_sunset.JPG

Cas
10-12-2007, 10:32 AM
After having to deal with AZ's hard water, the hardest in the country, trust me, salt water would be a welcomed site
that bad huh? I've never been so I don't have a clue to what it's like.
One last piece of advice as far as salt water, don't drink too much of it as it may give you a new meaning to "blow it out your ass" :jawdrop: :D

jrork
10-12-2007, 12:10 PM
Oh man, this is a beautiful post. I've ran ours in the salt for a numer of years as we only live about an 1/8th of a mile from the boat launch. Endless shoreline and things to see. Love it!
Now with that said, I agree completely regarding the starter. Make sure you hose it down good. I got 1 1/2 years out of my last one but I rinsed down constantly. They're just cheapy Schucks so it's not like I'm out a bunch of money.
I built an adapter that allowed me to tap into my braided SS lines coming from the pump so I could put a garden hose on it and flush. You dont have to run the motors so in theory, you could could flush it for hours if you wanted to.
Just be careful you dont over pressurize it though. Due to our water pressure up here I only turned it on a little bit.
I would always take my Bassett T apart and rinse it with WD40 and never had a problem. I also was very careful to always grease the pump. Seaweed was not any bigger of an issue than many of the lakes around here with the milfoil.
I will warn you that I had some significant water spotting on my headers from the saltwater burning on the hot header. Sounds like high mineral content water does the same thing though.
Now with the new motor and pump, I'm not sure how long it'll be before I dunk it in the salt (if ever) but there's not doubt in our mind, running in the salt beats any lake or river you'll ever run in period. Just takes some extra maintenance..
Good luck, be safe and have fun..........John

boatgonewild
10-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I just got a picture of this in my mind,,, Jaws doing 60 mph chasing you ,,,,with 5 barrels behind him.......:jawdrop:

Sleeper CP
10-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I just got a picture of this in my mind,,, Jaws doing 60 mph chasing you ,,,,with 5 barrels behind him.......:jawdrop:
LOL;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

jrork
10-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Sure, I'm dragging up an old post but it was a ton of fun back then......:D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125950&highlight=jelly+fish

GAWnCA
10-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Having looked at the "old posts" a question came to mind. Do the jelly fish help luberecate the motor as they are drawn through with the water??? :confused: :) :idea: :jawdrop: :sqeyes: Do they come out the overflow tube like toothpaste?? :D :D :D

Schiada Time
10-12-2007, 07:52 PM
I woudn't recommend running any boat in the ocean. Salt water is way too hard on engines and drives and hardware. Even when you flush them out you cannot get all the salt out. It hammers the trailers too.

Betty Boop 049 World Champion Race Boat
10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
hey check out new post roosevelt lake az
anybody interested

DMOORE
10-12-2007, 09:19 PM
I woudn't recommend running any boat in the ocean. Salt water is way too hard on engines and drives and hardware. Even when you flush them out you cannot get all the salt out. It hammers the trailers too.
That's crazy. Simply use a product called salt-a-way. Wash, then rinse then rinse with salt away. I run my ski-centurian(1987) in the ocean and have never had the motor apart. Just replaced the exhaust manifolds last year. If you have never boated in the ocean on a glassy day, you are missing out. Ask all of the drag boats that ran in Mission Bay last month. Just a bit of extra cleaning, that's all.
Darrell.

tx-19
10-13-2007, 05:03 AM
hey check out new post roosevelt lake az
anybody interested
what new post?

Harley5229
10-13-2007, 08:34 AM
John, You could be opening a new can of worms with this!!!!! That was a great thread!

jetboatperformance
10-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Sorry guys aside from the corrosion there "things" out there that eat folks ,Just went from Mission Bay to the "Big bay" around the kelp in a 23' Whaler and left a hand print in the railing (white knuckles) !Son in laws buddy Dave Trimbles boat caught a Huge Mako just outside the Big bay a last year .... Tom (check SD in the background),"just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water" :) :) :)
http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/fishing/photogallery/article/0,13355,1515959_7,00.html

DMOORE
10-13-2007, 07:55 PM
Giant Mako? Heck it's only 160lbs. It's only a baby.:)
Darrell.

77charger
10-14-2007, 05:51 PM
have done it before with my old jet boat had no probs just alot of work afterwards to clean.Use to go to dana point since it was 10 min away drove down to sc pier but mainly went around to entrance and tubed.

jetboatperformance
10-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Brendan Mason, a software developer from Seattle, Washinton, caught this enormous mako shark while fishing with Capt. David Trimble of Bowman Bluewater off the coast near San Diego, California. Trimble estimated the shark at 11 feet long and well over 600 pounds.
Just for the sake of discussion This is what I was Talkin about :) :) (above).....Tom

DMOORE
10-14-2007, 08:52 PM
Brendan Mason, a software developer from Seattle, Washinton, caught this enormous mako shark while fishing with Capt. David Trimble of Bowman Bluewater off the coast near San Diego, California. Trimble estimated the shark at 11 feet long and well over 600 pounds.
Just for the sake of discussion This is what I was Talkin about :) :) (above).....Tom
600lbs... that's more like it.
Darrell.