PDA

View Full Version : Howard 28 Bullet Does it!!!!!!!!

TPI
10-12-2007, 05:32 AM
Originally Posted by phebus
Gary, thank you very much for the t shirt offer, but I'm going to take you up on that double or nothing offer. I figure you can get your Bullet to 120+ with the new blower. This time your the doubter, but I have confidence in you, and the Bullet.
Best of luck, and please be carefull.
Rick
I had to come out of "forum retirement" to post this.........................
As of yesterday morning we ran 122.0 with the orange Howard 28 Bullet! The ride was absolutely smooth/amazing to say the least! We spun a 35 lab with a 1.35 GR up to 6400 rpm, and once again,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it hit the rev limiter
Needless to say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the Whipple W305sc is very nice and so friendly all around. I seriously under estimated this boat, engine, and drive combination. I still have not even tried all of the idea's I have beeen working on to get this boat to 120,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and it just kinda did it itself , pretty easily I will add. Seriously, it was easy. The boat actually felt more stable, because the 35P prop softened up the torquey accelleration a bit.
I am confident this boat now can run between 125-130mph,,,,,,,,,,but we will never know(at least not while I own it)
As of now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am so happy with the performance, I am going to sit back and enjoy this for a while................................
Thanks for following a long,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and PHEBUS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I owe you a couple shirts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and a ride. I will be at the london bridge resort at 0730 am for the Absolute POKER RUN. Come by, I will get you out in the boat before everything gets started

BLOWN HOWARD
10-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Congrats to Gary and Howard Boats for there accomplishment on the #'s

TheCarDudes
10-12-2007, 06:01 AM
Congrats Gary. Very impressive. :)

INSman
10-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Conrats Gary and as nice as that boat is, you know how to build an incredible power plant mated to the proper drive greatly helping in the results you achieved.
Next goal .....
Howard 35' Bullet with twin 858's and some BIG numbers at a stable speed. :D

TheCarDudes
10-12-2007, 07:11 AM
Conrats Gary and as nice as that boat is, you know how to build an incredible power plant mated to the proper drive greatly helping in the results you achieved.
Next goal .....
Howard 35' Bullet with twin 858's and some BIG numbers at a stable speed. :D
Is that a new motor you and Gary are working on? 848/858?
You know whatever works. 220/221. It's all good. :D

10-12-2007, 07:46 AM
122..WOW!!!:2purples: Now that'll light your hair on fire! I'm very impressed but not entirely surprised. Congratulations Gary, have fun with the "pumpkin".
----Rob

INSman
10-12-2007, 07:57 AM
Is that a new motor you and Gary are working on? 848/858?
You know whatever works. 220/221. It's all good. :D
Okay focker, I am moving up to a 949 then !!!! :eek: :D

little rowe boat
10-12-2007, 08:50 AM
Incredible, I can't imagine going that fast in any boat. Congrats.

phebus
10-12-2007, 09:30 AM
Congratulations Gary!!
I'd like to meet up with you. I assume you are going to be at the LBR Saturday morning at 7:30am? If so, I will come on down and see you.
Should I bring my Lifeline vest?

It's Only Money
10-12-2007, 10:52 AM
WOW! That must be the new record for a single engine V hull boat. Of course there will be naysayers that it wasn't at the boat trials or some such B.S.
Congrats TPI!

Troubles No More
10-12-2007, 04:39 PM
Congratulations Gary, 122 mph is just amazing for an orange bass boat!

HemiDude
10-12-2007, 07:43 PM
28 Bullet is one of my very favorite boats. Looking to buy one next year, good to see some of the drive option perform that well....:D

TPI
10-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Rick, I owe you an apology. We did not launch until 0800 and we headed straight for the LBR and looked for you(about 0815 or so) we then went over to the nautical and looked around and then decided to make a 120 mph run in that crappy water near Copper Canyon. I wanted to see if it would do it with a full ice chest and fishing gear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it did. Not 122 though, just 120 even:) I will get you in this thing sometime.................You will enjoy yourself,,,,,,I promise. Here are a few pics:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Record07_005m.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Record07_004m.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Record07_013m.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/Record07_006m.jpg

INSman
10-13-2007, 09:34 PM
Gary
Saw you sitting on the sidelines today, you should have ran that rig ?!?:D

TPI
10-14-2007, 05:08 AM
Blane,
We had to be home yesterday evening, so we thought we would watch for once until 1:00 oclock or so. I found out something,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I am not a good watcher. I did see some VERY impressive boats.
I also thought it would be interesting to see how some of those boats handled at speed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Everyone,
I would like to say Thanks to everyone that has been involved with this Orange 28 Bullet(its a long list,,,,,,,You know who you are) and thanks to the people that have been following these "fast Bullet" threads for the last 4+ years.
There are a lot of 28-30' single engine/stern drive vees out there on the hunt for 120 mph,,,,,,,,,,,and I am about 100% sure the speed/stability of this boat would stop them in their tracks. Its no joke. Just my opinion. I believe most everyone will see and hear about this and be pretty happy.......................Its a great thing, but there will be sceptics and that is totally fine. This has been a process,,,,,,,,,it did not happen overnight. Although once the boat was set up to run, it seemed very easy, at least the driving part of it. There is some video on the way:idea: :D
Gary Taylor

phebus
10-14-2007, 06:04 AM
Gary, it was great spending some time talking with you on Friday night. Don't worry about not meeting up again yesterday, my back is not doing well, and regardless of how good that boat handles (and I do believe every bit of it), I'm sure a ride wasn't in my best interests.
Congratulations on what you have achieved. It took an extremely good base for you to apply all your skills and reach the levels you did.
Good marraige when a great hull is mated with a great R&D and engine building program.
Hopefully we will meet again soon, and I will get that ride, but until then be safe.
Rick

Pantera28
10-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Congratulations Gary!!! Well done, please be careful!!!

TPI
10-14-2007, 05:07 PM
A little more info: This boat(and all Howard 25-28 Bullets, as far as I know) run the tabs all the way up,,,,,,,,,I NEVER touch them during performance runs. EVER.
The mechanical trim gauge(Bluewater Marine) rests at "0" when it is in the all the way down position(negative trim), and the boat is trimmed up to the number "7" at WOT(122mph).
I told my wife if I ever hit 120 mph, I would rig us up a deckboat,,,,,,,,,,,It was kind of one of those goals you hope to never acheive. But guess what???????Here we are.
If there are any serious/responsible party's that would like to own this All composite 2005 Howard 28 Bullet less motor,,,,,,,,,,,,,let me know. This boat was expensive to build and if sold, it will be at a premium price,,,,,,It's a premium boat:D Just throwing it out there. You guys can PM me or e-mail me at gary@tpboats.com if you are interested. Otherwise, we will be keeping it for a long time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it's just getting too hard to fish off of!

HatenWinter
10-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Congrats Gary, 122 mph, thats one hell of an accomplishment! I'll be looking forward to the "fastest deckboat" thread in the near future :D

OLD MAN ON THE LAKE
10-15-2007, 07:52 AM
If first you don't succeed try,try again. CONGRATS.GARY NOW GO RECORD THE KILO RECORD.

Pantera28
10-15-2007, 12:54 PM
What is the Kilo record for a single engine V hull?
I asked on OSO, but some real ignorant piece of work just started bashing everything. He's done it before. Hides behind a screen name like a typical punk.
Congratulations again Gary. :D

TPI
10-15-2007, 05:12 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/pics_015m.jpg

Troubles No More
10-15-2007, 06:46 PM
I think an all orange Howard deck/fishing boat would look good at the next LA boat show.

Redrider
10-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Congrats and enjoy the SportDeck, we are right behind you in getting one!

kap
10-16-2007, 08:22 AM
Hello Gary:
Welcome back:D retirement was a bit premature especially when you have so much to offer the boating community. Glad your back:) !
I would like to congratulate you on accomplishing your goal of acheiving and breaking the 120MPH benchmark. When we ran your boat after the Regatta and obtained a top speed of 115MPH---I honestly believed 120MPH was a very realistic goal. As it turns out you exceeded that mark with authority and stability from both boat, motor and drive.
Once again congratulations! you deserve a great deal of recognition as you have spent a tremendous amount of time and hardwork in dialing your boat/motor combination in to acheive maximum performance.
Very truly yours,
KAP
P.S. I told you once your wife saw the Howard deckboat in your garage I knew it was only a matter of time:D :D

TPI
10-29-2007, 05:48 AM
VIDEO:D :D
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-321262727772593607
I can explain later,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,for now, enjoy.:D

10-29-2007, 11:10 AM
Love the "high speed helmet lift"! I probably would have reacted the same way.:D
Congrats again Gary!
-----Rob

franky
11-08-2007, 08:29 AM
Gary, helmets and no vests?

Fast Freddy
11-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Congrats Gary. Very impressive. :)
+1

TPI
11-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Gary, helmets and no vests?
:D Did you catch the dirt on top of the helmet...................I saw that helmet in my buddies garage. He said it hasnt been out of that box since 1985:eek:
I thought we should take it to the lake for a cruise in the afternoon. FYI,,,,,,the speed runs were done in the am the same day WITH life jackets and helmets:)

franky
11-08-2007, 09:23 AM
:D Did you catch the dirt on top of the helmet...................I saw that helmet in my buddies garage. He said it hasnt been out of that box since 1985:eek:
I thought we should take it to the lake for a cruise in the afternoon. FYI,,,,,,the speed runs were done in the am the same day WITH life jackets and helmets:)
Oh I get it, comedy.:D I didn't think you had it in you.