PDA

View Full Version : filling your own nitrous tanks???

IMPATIENT 1
10-12-2007, 08:15 AM
posted this in gearheads also:
need some advise and help building a system to charge my bottles. i got the "big" tank of nitrous in this mornin but have no clue where to pick up the hose/valve/filter set-up. i was told i didn't need the pump, so where do i get the set-up without pump??? how much nitrous can i get outta the big tank without a pump? and do the race only nitrous big tanks have the tube for picking up the liquid nitrous or do i need to invert it?? the bottle says race only.thanx tom e.
a friend got me a nice hook-up on the big tanks, 75 for the yr lease , 100 for the fill!!!! so when i run this tank out, its only another 100bucks for the next tank full, i'm stokkkkkkeeeddd

Outlaw
10-12-2007, 09:36 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165937&highlight=nos+fill
here is a thread

IMPATIENT 1
10-12-2007, 09:51 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165937&highlight=nos+fill
here is a thread
thanx, but i asked the same questions in that thread and they went for the most part unanswered.

Sleeper CP
10-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Read post # 27 in the other thread.
We don't use a ball valve just the knob on the large tank. We had a 5ft -6 line made to go from the fill bottle to the transfer bottle , just had to buy a fitting to go on the large bottle. Post # 27 talks about a filter, that is not a bad idea:idea: We may have to do that.
Make sure you wear gloves and saftey glasses when you are doing the transfer.]
Just my .02
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

asch
10-12-2007, 10:18 AM
If I remember correctly, isn't it possible to overfill the bottle thereby overwhelming the valve seal without a guage?
Use to buy medical nitrous from a dentist who was all into racing and fill mine and my buddies bottles, but that was like 15 years ago so my memory is a little foggy (no, not from the squeeze and no pun intend):D

nitro557
10-12-2007, 10:25 AM
If I remember correctly, isn't it possible to overfill the bottle thereby overwhelming the valve seal without a guage?
Use to buy medical nitrous from a dentist who was all into racing and fill mine and my buddies bottles, but that was like 15 years ago so my memory is a little foggy (no, not from the squeeze and no pun intend):D
the recieveing bottle has a relief in the valve that will not allow it to be over pressureized

nitro557
10-12-2007, 10:37 AM
need some advise and help building a system to charge my bottles. i got the "big" tank of nitrous in this mornin but have no clue where to pick up the hose/valve/filter set-up. i was told i didn't need the pump, so where do i get the set-up without pump??? how much nitrous can i get outta the big tank without a pump? and do the race only nitrous big tanks have the tube for picking up the liquid nitrous or do i need to invert it?? the bottle says race only.thanx tom e.
a friend got me a nice hook-up on the big tanks, 75 for the yr lease , 100 for the fill!!!! so when i run this tank out, its only another 100bucks for the next tank full, i'm stokkkkkkeeeddd
turn the big bottle upside down you can get a stand for this from the seller of the big bottle the big bottle wont have a dip tube
freeze the smaller bottles for several hours,with the big bottle at room or better temp the nos withh go right into the colder bottle,use a scale i use a package scale a 10lb bottle full is 25lbs,if filling this way you cant get the full amount into the bottle ,turn the 10lb bottle upside down to release the air trapped in the bottle when white nos starts comeing out ,refreeze and refill also i crack the valve on the fill bottle and keep the valve on the recieve bottle closed crack the fill line loose at the smaller bottle to purge before you fill
when at the track i just use a cooler to freeze the bottles 1hr in ice and its good to go

Sleeper CP
10-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Yes it is, that's where an accurate scales comes in.
Don't put 12 lbs into a frozen nitrous bottle and then let it sit in the sun the next day. :eek: :( :mad:
You must use a scale and don't over fill.
Sleeper CP

IMPATIENT 1
10-12-2007, 11:18 AM
the big tank doesn't have a pick up tube?how much nitrous do you guys out without a pump?

nitro557
10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
im just filling 2 1/2 pounders off a 10lb bottle ,bike bottles but the guy i have fill my 10lb bottle does it with do pump
the pump is really for retail sales for fast turn around of bottles,they dont need to be cooled

SmokinLowriderSS
10-12-2007, 01:35 PM
the big tank doesn't have a pick up tube?how much nitrous do you guys out without a pump?
Like Nitro557 said, mount the big bottle upside down.

455Rocket
10-12-2007, 03:21 PM
turn the big bottle upside down you can get a stand for this from the seller of the big bottle the big bottle wont have a dip tube
freeze the smaller bottles for several hours,with the big bottle at room or better temp the nos withh go right into the colder bottle,use a scale i use a package scale a 10lb bottle full is 25lbs,if filling this way you cant get the full amount into the bottle ,turn the 10lb bottle upside down to release the air trapped in the bottle when white nos starts comeing out ,refreeze and refill also i crack the valve on the fill bottle and keep the valve on the recieve bottle closed crack the fill line loose at the smaller bottle to purge before you fill
when at the track i just use a cooler to freeze the bottles 1hr in ice and its good to go
Oh you guys are scaring the crap out of me! :eek:
nitro557 has the best advice... NOS is a liquefied gas (like CO2 or Propane) so you need a siphon tube or you have to turn the bottle upside down... where ever you got your "big" bottle should have some tanks available w/ a tube... let them know what you're doing. We install them all the time :)
On newer cylinders the tare weight should be stamped in the neck, if not mark it and don't overfill. If the safety goes off it's 3000psi of Oxidizer... prey no one's smoking :D
If you need lines, fittings, want to buy a bottle w/ a siphon tube etc... Give me a call. The only non-standard thing is the outlet on the bottle valves... i have nipples in stock that adapt to 1/2" NPT.
ALSO: Remember to keep grease away from the valves, lines and fittings NOS is an oxidizer and can flash upon contact w/ grease... and it ain't pretty! Torched a perfectly good airplane :D
Brian
Tym's Inc.
310-673-3330

Longstr
10-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Be careful Tom.... :sqeyes:
I will need a refill when I come to visit ya...:D

IMPATIENT 1
10-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Be careful Tom.... :sqeyes:
I will need a refill when I come to visit ya...:D
SOUNDS LIKE YOU MAY NEED TO BRING A FIRESUIT:D

IMPATIENT 1
10-12-2007, 06:37 PM
i'll get a pic of the tank and the label, you guys tell me what i have.

Squirtcha?
10-13-2007, 08:27 PM
You're getting a hell of a deal there. I checked on it once and the bulk tanks were priced so high that I'd only save $4 or $5 per 10lb bottle over filling it at my usual place.

IMPATIENT 1
10-13-2007, 08:34 PM
You're getting a hell of a deal there. I checked on it once and the bulk tanks were priced so high that I'd only save $4 or $5 per 10lb bottle over filling it at my usual place.
my friend buys ALOT of gas from the supply store;) i got a pic of the tank, let me try to post it.

Hass828
10-14-2007, 06:34 AM
Hey tom , I thought I allready answered most of this ,you can get the stainless flex lines from speedway motors.com for cheep, they are actually made for brake lines or guage lines but they are made of the same line that a nos line is made of and they come in 4an,the ball valve will come from a tractor supply store because it needs to be high press. and a hydraulic ball valve is capable. The filter will be available a an A/C supply and can also be a 4an. Whether the big bottle has to be invered or not depends on if it has a dip tube or not. You can get the fitting that fits the big bottle from any welding supply and they can tell you if your bottle has a dip tube or not. You can get just as much of the nos out of the big bottle this way as you can with a pump, its just slower because when you get down to the last few pounds in the big bottle you will have to refreeze the little ones and fill again untill you get it all. When all of the liquid is gone from the big bottle tou might as well head to get a new one. You can usually tell by listening , and keep your hand on the line as you can feel the liquid transfering ,when it changes to gas you can hear it and feel it. Is that price your getting on nos available to anyone or is it a one time buddy deal? If so where can I get, I usually go through a lot of it .

IMPATIENT 1
10-14-2007, 10:30 AM
Hey tom , I thought I allready answered most of this ,you can get the stainless flex lines from speedway motors.com for cheep, they are actually made for brake lines or guage lines but they are made of the same line that a nos line is made of and they come in 4an,the ball valve will come from a tractor supply store because it needs to be high press. and a hydraulic ball valve is capable. The filter will be available a an A/C supply and can also be a 4an. Whether the big bottle has to be invered or not depends on if it has a dip tube or not. You can get the fitting that fits the big bottle from any welding supply and they can tell you if your bottle has a dip tube or not. You can get just as much of the nos out of the big bottle this way as you can with a pump, its just slower because when you get down to the last few pounds in the big bottle you will have to refreeze the little ones and fill again untill you get it all. When all of the liquid is gone from the big bottle tou might as well head to get a new one. You can usually tell by listening , and keep your hand on the line as you can feel the liquid transfering ,when it changes to gas you can hear it and feel it. Is that price your getting on nos available to anyone or is it a one time buddy deal? If so where can I get, I usually go through a lot of it .
hass, the deal i got set-up was thru a buddy.i'll ask terry who is guy is at the supply place and i'll call him next wk, see what kinda deal he can do on 4 bottles at a time, you buy 2 , i'll buy 2. that'll give me 3 for the summer to use and sell to buddy's in need. the tanks has DT stencil painted at the top, i was told that meant dip tube, so they're race tanks. pm me your email address and i'll email ya pics of the tanks i can get.can't post from home, dam dial takes toooo long or i'd post pics here.

Hass828
10-14-2007, 10:50 AM
hass, the deal i got set-up was thru a buddy.i'll ask terry who is guy is at the supply place and i'll call him next wk, see what kinda deal he can do on 4 bottles at a time, you buy 2 , i'll buy 2. that'll give me 3 for the summer to use and sell to buddy's in need. the tanks has DT stencil painted at the top, i was told that meant dip tube, so they're race tanks. pm me your email address and i'll email ya pics of the tanks i can get.can't post from home, dam dial takes toooo long or i'd post pics here.
Tom , one thing I forgot to mention , If you have the big tanks with dip tubes they usually take the same fitting that fits your small bottles. If you get the bottles without dip tubes youll have to invert them and youll have to get the fitting from the welding supply. On the end of my line I have an adapter so I can fill both 4an and 6an bottles.

IMPATIENT 1
10-14-2007, 11:03 AM
Tom , one thing I forgot to mention , If you have the big tanks with dip tubes they usually take the same fitting that fits your small bottles. If you get the bottles without dip tubes youll have to invert them and youll have to get the fitting from the welding supply. On the end of my line I have an adapter so I can fill both 4an and 6an bottles.
just shot ya a email hass, shoot me something back to let me know ya got it, my email has been screwy:mad: i tried to screw on a regular argon tank regulator just now and it didn't fit, so maybe i got lucky!!!! i'm goin by billy's and grab a 10lb bottle adapter and see if it fits, i sold all my nitrous stuff last yr. like a dumbass:rolleyes: :D gotta go buy some weed/feed for the yard, give me a call later on tonite if ya wanna bs.