PDA

View Full Version : Quad vs Dirtbike??????? For Kids????

MAINEVENT
10-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Well My kids are wayyyyyyy over due but its time to give them some seat time, but i am not sure which seat i want to get them into... I like the idea of getting them some track time, but then again... Welllllll Glamis is my vice... and for the most part dunno how a little 50 with my kids behind the bar will get around...
Whats your experience???? Advice?????
Bikes in mind...
honda crf-50 (not too sure on having them shift so soon but then again i did with my trx-90 as a kid)
ktm mini adventure 50
Quads-
Kasea 90
Suzuki 90
and yeah i know some are like buy both.... well im no baller Im Divorced Remember HAH!!! SO i can only afford one or the other...
TIA

pw_Tony
10-13-2007, 12:12 AM
How old are they? If they're over ten then a raptor 250, or mayv e even a 350 would do good. But if they're under ten, for a dirtbike than maybe an xr100

revndave
10-13-2007, 06:19 AM
Predator 90 or crf 50

cougar27mtr
10-13-2007, 06:29 AM
I have both for my little girl.. She has a Kasea 90 (with the governer in) and a crf 50. Just depends on the riding.. I think a quad is the all around toy. it can go anywhere. The bike cannot go to glamis. It will go no where. You said you like glamis so. If you can only buy one I would suggest the quad.
Now as you can see I like the kasea.. :D

Pete454
10-13-2007, 07:19 AM
My G/F's Daughter had never rode a dirt bike, and at age 12, she got one.
Everyone thought we were nuts, she will get hurt, etc!
well 2 years later, she is still riding, she has out grown her first bike a Suzuki DRz125L. and she is getting a Honda CRF125R for christmas.
Think of the type of riding she will do, and how adjusted she will become.
My son was riding a pedal bike without training wheels at 3, yes he wiped out from time to time but, thats part of being a kid.
Also whatever you buy, buy the safety equipment as well.
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/pete454/SKA%20Racing/SKA8.jpg
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m126/pete454/SKA%20Racing/ska1.jpg

SummerBreeze
10-13-2007, 07:53 AM
If you are just learning as a kid and you are planning on riding in the sand I think a Quad would be best
I don't like quads a little like lake lice

CBadDad
10-13-2007, 07:56 AM
My kids all started on quads since the age of five. When my son (the oldest) was ten, I got him a CRF 150. To this day he says that was the best Christmas ever. He had a buddy his age that rode too and we had a place in Ocotillo Wells. Long story short, he never got into it. The kid will ride like a mad man on the quad, but like an old lady on the bike. We eventually sold it. Now we are a quads and buggie family.
If you want them to ride bikes (cuz that is the type of riding YOU do) then get a dirt bike. If you like the dunes, then go with a quad. Problem is that there is sand everywhere around SoCal.
Flying Lavey makes a good point, but I've gotten way more hurt on two wheels then four...and I've been hurt on both. :D

riverroyal
10-13-2007, 08:11 AM
for a 90 quad the polaris predator 90 is the ONLY option.I have a 90 and 50 both predators.Thinking of selling the 50:idea:

RiverToysJas
10-13-2007, 08:45 AM
My 7yo has a CRF50, and like it....but prefers to ride the ATC 70.
http://rivertoys.com/fieffer_net/spring_07/images/river1_web.jpg
http://rivertoys.com/fieffer_net/spring_07/images/Jon_wipeout.jpg
My daugher is 5 and likes the 70 also.....she'll be turned loose on it this season....
http://rivertoys.com/fieffer_net/spring_07/images/dad_briana.jpg
RTJas :D

HOOTER SLED-
10-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Well My kids are wayyyyyyy over due but its time to give them some seat time, but i am not sure which seat i want to get them into... I like the idea of getting them some track time, but then again... Welllllll Glamis is my vice... and for the most part dunno how a little 50 with my kids behind the bar will get around...
Bikes in mind...
honda crf-50 (not too sure on having them shift so soon but then again i did with my trx-90 as a kid)
ktm mini adventure 50
Quads-
Kasea 90
Suzuki 90
and yeah i know some are like buy both.... well im no baller Im Divorced Remember HAH!!! SO i can only afford one or the other...
TIA
Yo Alex....what about the Pdub fiddys? They don't have gears. Buy my 90 quad beeeyotch. :D

RiverToysJas
10-13-2007, 08:52 AM
Oh and as for shifting.....for the CRF 50 I had to put on an extended shift lever. The extra leverage was a big help for him to be able to shift it.

HOOTER SLED-
10-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Hey Alex, I think G and Tina still had their Kasea they were trying to sell too. May be too much for now for the kids.

boatnam2
10-13-2007, 08:55 AM
quad all the way for the first bike,kid will have way more fun and thats whats its about.2 wheeler is about falling not wanting to ride and not having fun,plus you ride in the sand.Take 10 kids and put 50's and quads in front of them see what gets ridden.Few of my buddies are going through this and because they ride dirt biked they thought it best to get there kids dirt bikes im talking little kids i think one kid has had his bike almost 2 years and has yet to ride it alone.If your trying to get your kid to be a motocrosser at a youg age and you got the time and patience then i think the 2 wheeler is the bike.

riverbound
10-13-2007, 08:56 AM
i bought both my sons a PW50 with training wheels about 2 years ago. my younger son will ride the bke non-stop. but my older is not a big fan. He prefers Quads. Now I have one of each for them. And they love.

RiverToysJas
10-13-2007, 08:57 AM
quad all the way for the first bike,kid will have way more fun and thats whats its about.2 wheeler is about falling not wanting to ride and not having fun,plus you ride in the sand.Take 10 kids and put 50's and quads in front of them see what gets ridden.Few of my buddies are going through this and because they ride dirt biked they thought it best to get there kids dirt bikes im talking little kids i think one kid has had his bike almost 2 years and has yet to ride it alone.If your trying to get your kid to be a motocrosser at a youg age and you got the time and patience then i think the 2 wheeler is the bike.
Sup Jim?
I totally argee with that!

boatnam2
10-13-2007, 08:57 AM
My 7yo has a CRF50, and like it....but prefers to ride the ATC 70.
http://rivertoys.com/fieffer_net/spring_07/images/Jon_wipeout.jpg
My daugher is 5 and likes the 70 also.....she'll be turned loose on it this season....
http://rivertoys.com/fieffer_net/spring_07/images/dad_briana.jpg
you know most accident happen under 10mph within 100 yards of camp..where is your brain bucket lol

RiverToysJas
10-13-2007, 08:59 AM
you know most accident happen under 10mph within 100 yards of camp..where is your brain bucket lol
Oh I keep my brain in the truck! :D

HOOTER SLED-
10-13-2007, 09:01 AM
I agree. But could you please capitalize and put spaces after your periods. :D ;)

bchbum
10-13-2007, 09:17 AM
We got our girls PW 50's when they were 5 . Great bike to learn on , I just didn't like the kick stand the girls never could use it . Their resale is great also this time of year. Later they got XR 70's . Rode them 2 years , just never liked them as much . They wanted quads , I got them Honda trx 250's . They have had no problems at all & our riding time has improved so much .

DesertGirl
10-13-2007, 09:21 AM
Both our kids (now 7 and 10) started on a little 90 quad. Once they got the feel for braking, turning, gasing, we got them on a CRF50 and now a CRF70. They love the bikes, but we are always in Ocotillo wells.

2Driver
10-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Dirtbike all the way. Waaaaaaay to many quad accidents and they can end up pretty bad. The weight of a Polairs 50 is 210 pounds! Now have that roll on top of his back:idea: The Polaris 90cc is 283 pounds and that is 40 pounds more that my WR450F dirt bike!!!
The change up is that the quad has 4-wheels and kids don’t fall over as much so everyone thinks they are safer. No way. The local dealer even talked me out of it.
Anyway, after some research for our 6 year old (and being a Huge Honda fan) I actually ended up with a Suzuki 50. Here's why:
No shifting
Foot and hand lever brake
Lightest bike around
You can raise the suspension about 2" after they grow and get an extra season
Kick start but it starts every time and I have taught him to start it.
To each their own.

boatnam2
10-13-2007, 09:39 AM
I agree. But could you please capitalize and put spaces after your periods. :D ;)
Man i have tryed but what im thinking and what im typing is at 2 different speeds, Im just trying to get it down so maybe i should of layed off the pot during english class or spend 5 minutes writing a post.

Ivan Dan
10-13-2007, 09:48 AM
I've riden dirtbikes since I was 3 years old and actually rode a dirt bike before a bicycle. The way I was always taught is to learn on a bike first and once they learn the bike and how it handles you can always switch them to a quad later. But if you learn on a quad switching to a bike later is a lot tougher.
So basically my recommendation is to start them on bikes and go from there.

Partycattin
10-13-2007, 10:17 AM
I put my daughter on a Suzuki quad 50 when she was just about 4. She didn't really have the balance for a bike yet and the quad let her focus on working the gas and brakes. She just turned 9 and wants to go to a bike next. Probably put her on an XR80 and see how she does with it.
When we would go out with other families, their kids were often ask to ride the quad over their pw50's at the 4-5 year old range.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=41037&stc=1&d=1192299744

pw_Tony
10-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Just remember, when you crash on a quad it typically follows you, i.e. more injuries. When you fall on a dirt bike, it tends to go away from you. Also a quad can give a false sense of security and make people think they can do more then whats in their range of capabilities. I saw go bike and if they need it put training wheels on it.
That is one of the most retarded things I've read...lol :D

MBlaster
10-13-2007, 11:14 AM
I started my boys on honda 50's. I believe its better to start them on bikes. Bikes are much harder to learn so kids become better riders. Its no fun chasing them around restarting their bike but once they learn 2 wheels, 4 wheels is a snap.
That being said we also have a honda 90 quad for them to play with too.
What ever you choose just make sure they have all the safety gear including neck support and you should be fine.

MAINEVENT
10-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Definately some good info... and along the line of what i was thinking... Yes My kids will be turning five, I personally was 3 on a quad and i feel like im 2 years late on getting my kids on something, but $$$$ hasn't been so nice the past 2 years... and well my kids have been asking alot "When are we gonna go riding again dad???" So i think i am gonna go for the Quad and later down the road if they want to hop on a bike so be it...
As far as polaris I am NOT a big fan... I own a Suzuki LT-80 that i bought for my son Brody a few years ago and when i would take him riding at my friends property with some other kids, the polaris always had "Something" going on with it... the LT-80 ALWAYS fired up, and ran cherry... and I've seen Kasea's aswell and seem reliable, I never cut into the motors of bikes, (I've owned a banshee and have gone thru all the bullshit of it NOT running and always saying "I need to adjust it" ) So the most i do is Pipe, Jets, and Air Filters... Just my.02
Riverroyal- Its been awhile HAH!!!
Hoots... Call me... I might be interested, and yeah little G's 90 is wayyyy to hopped up for a beginner bike...
RiverToyJas- Dude this is a SAWEEEEEEET Pic...

boats&bars
10-13-2007, 02:31 PM
crf 50

Ivan Dan
10-13-2007, 02:37 PM
That is one of the most retarded things I've read...lol :D
If you've done any riding you know he's right on the money.

pw_Tony
10-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Oh ok :D
Like a roll over. I was thinking you were saying, like if you fell off the quad without it rolling over that it would run you over.
Understood now:D

HOOTER SLED-
10-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Definately some good info... and along the line of what i was thinking... Yes My kids will be turning five, I personally was 3 on a quad and i feel like im 2 years late on getting my kids on something, but $$$$ hasn't been so nice the past 2 years... and well my kids have been asking alot "When are we gonna go riding again dad???" So i think i am gonna go for the Quad and later down the road if they want to hop on a bike so be it...
As far as polaris I am NOT a big fan... I own a Suzuki LT-80 that i bought for my son Brody a few years ago and when i would take him riding at my friends property with some other kids, the polaris always had "Something" going on with it... the LT-80 ALWAYS fired up, and ran cherry... and I've seen Kasea's aswell and seem reliable, I never cut into the motors of bikes, (I've owned a banshee and have gone thru all the bullshit of it NOT running and always saying "I need to adjust it" ) So the most i do is Pipe, Jets, and Air Filters... Just my.02
Riverroyal- Its been awhile HAH!!!
Hoots... Call me... I might be interested, and yeah little G's 90 is wayyyy to hopped up for a beginner bike...
RiverToyJas- Dude this is a SAWEEEEEEET Pic...
Let's take the kids out local bro. They can ride the fiddy or the quad. :)

MAINEVENT
10-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Let's take the kids out local bro. They can ride the fiddy or the quad. :)
Next week... I've been wanting too for week but its always something, or rain... Saturday works for me..??? Plus i get my Lic back thurs Yayyyyyyeahhhh :devil: I'll bring my trailer or just throw them in my truck i'll bring the lt80 aswell...

HOOTER SLED-
10-14-2007, 08:58 AM
Next week... I've been wanting too for week but its always something, or rain... Saturday works for me..??? Plus i get my Lic back thurs Yayyyyyyeahhhh :devil: I'll bring my trailer or just throw them in my truck i'll bring the lt80 aswell...
Sounds good. Sats. are cool we have bball on Sundays. I need to put a kill switch back on the fiddy so Drew and the kids can ride it. :)

Kilrtoy
11-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Bikes in mind...
ktm mini adventure 50
Quads-
Kasea 90
Suzuki 90
TIA
Cause he goes all out for him and trying to go cheap on his kids :hammerhea typical wetback :wink:
Just get a Rhino :crossx:
I have a LT-80 for cheap if you want it.....
Stop being a cheap ass, its your kids