PDA

View Full Version : impeller question

jstapplayer2003
10-13-2007, 06:15 AM
I under stand it would take a 600 hp motor to turn a AA 5400 rpm what im asking is a AA at 5400 have a better top speed than a A at 5700 rpm, is it less rpm im looking for with an AA , or more rpm with like a B ....like i said im starting with a 600 hp set-up and i know every boat is different but what im tring to do is get more speed at 6000 rpm or lower

Sleeper CP
10-13-2007, 09:25 AM
It really depends on the boat, if the boat isn't very heavy the 300 rpm increase the boat will probably go faster( just a few mph). But if you have a heavy boat will the cut change effect your cruising speed and few consumption?
What is your peak rpm going to be?
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

rayson
10-13-2007, 09:29 AM
who does all your pump work what are you running?

jstapplayer2003
10-13-2007, 11:00 AM
my peak rpm while in the hp range would be around 6000 ....pump work i probally send it out . i just want some info before i get myself into something i know nothing about

Sleeper CP
10-13-2007, 11:43 AM
who does all your pump work what are you running?
This year Jack at MPD did the pump for my brother and me. It started out as a Legend AA SS with an American Turbine bowl.( We had and Legend bowl and SS Impeller and an American Turbine bowl and SS impeller) Jack blended the best of the parts and built the current pump with an inducer. Jack turned it back to an A to begin with. She turned 5,700 and ran 91 w/bad air. Pulled it out, sent him the impeller and he turned it back to "his" B. Jacks "B" turns like a blueprinted "A" from most shops. I was sure surprised as to how much power it takes to turn his set up. He told me when I first met him that I should expect to loose 400-500 rpm's but that I would be running faster.
Three weeks ago the boat ran 98 at 6,200 w/o the nitrous. The intake pressure was only 30-32 lbs. With an intake grate change and maybe the shoe I'm guessing if we can get the pressure to 35-40 she'll run 100 off the bottle.
In the past she picked up 12 mph on the bottle so you can do the math;). We are not sure what it will do with the current set up. But we have high hopes:)
The engine is a 565" single carb Ford. 765 ft lbs at 6,000, 874 HP at 6,000 and 935 at 7,000(peak).( All throttle no bottle). So she has a lot of potential with the 250 HP shot that is on the boat. Last time out I got the carb adjusted correctly, she idles between 900-1,000 rpm's with a slight lope.:D
I'm working on it this weekend hope to get out next week or the one after before she goes into mothballs for the Winter. Trying out my other carb and intakes grates.
Sleeper CP
565" Ford ... 1,000+ HP Safely used since 1992:D

rayson
10-13-2007, 06:52 PM
Whats up seeper, Jack Mclure he noes me well i had california performer it is on his wall wall whats left of it. Right now I have a 21 daytona eliminator I am playing with now. Jack did all the work, pump set back ride plate and shoe.The impeller I am running is a lengend A+ stainless with a inducer,I was running a double A but we cut it. I am playing with the inlet pressure,I have many cut back shoes and shims. I can turn that impeller no problem to 6300 rpm no matter how low i put my shoe and it has been scary low you would think, like 300 thousands or more the boat likes it the more shoe i put in it the speed picks up ,I have a gps speedo in the boat, I am runing a 572 big block chev dart heads all roller soild 4-7 swap cam all great lower parts, With a BDS 1471 Lee innercooler dual 1050s the boat has alot of weight, teague oil cooler, dana billit swim step full legith, I am pushing alot of weight, I forget CMI exhaust stainless steel double wall all the way out the back, So you dont get burned getting to the swim step you could touch them running or right when you turn them off, Anyway goodluck on working on our boat, I have to do the same.Also me and jack or jack had a guy put a bump on my boat as well as lowering the keel so I could load my pump better and maybe I dont have to lower my shoe so much .

Sleeper CP
10-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Nice pic.
What does that thing run for speed right now.?
We had a loading problem with our boat for a few years. Instead of droping the shoe 1/16 below the keel Shoemaker suggested that we open the intake up with the shoe. I had Jack make one that was 7/8" open. It is a flat shoe that is even with the keel.
My friend Neil from SDPM did the set up very conservative. At 98 the boat rides like it is on a rail. One of the reasons I want to get it out one more time before she's down for the winter is to take some pic's of it at speed to review the ride attitude. We have the ability to really loosen it up if need to.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

rayson
10-13-2007, 07:32 PM
Remember I am not raceing I went to the river a week ago played alittle started speeds of 92 by the time i droped the shoe and fooling around I was runing 103 with 50lbs inlet pressure. I now theres is more there. At one time I had the boat set up I had ran 110 on my gps with a B cut from jack my motor was a 540 with a 871. I thought by changeing the motor to a 572 and a 1471 it would be faster and i changed the impeller two. I made two many changes and lost were I was so the fun of it all is I get to play and set it up again to find my happy place just want to go 110 to- speed when i want thats all, I also took one of my shoes and opened it up did not see a difference, Then but i will have to try it again, cause i had the bottom done so it is different now.

rayson
10-13-2007, 07:39 PM
My boat is so heavy you need to lower the shoe and ride plate to help lift up on top of the water.

Sleeper CP
10-13-2007, 08:11 PM
I thought by changeing the motor to a 572 and a 1471 it would be faster and i changed the impeller two. I made two many changes and lost were I was so the fun of it all is I get to play and set it up again to find my happy place just want to go 110 to- speed when i want thats all,
Been there done that :( . That sucks. Yeah we have chased our tails more than once that's for sure.
I think the 102 number off the bottle is capable for this boat. If we can get the intake pressure up to 40 lbs I think it will help.:idea: But I'm not going to spend to much time chasing it. It's just a ski boat not a racer.;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover