PDA

View Full Version : Cleared to Land...!

Jbb
02-28-2006, 03:04 PM
Crosswind Landing Testing - This little item shows the Boeing factory determining the demonstrated crosswind landing limits on the 777 and the 747SP. The engineers make educated guesses, but then the test crews have to go actually prove the numbers. They sneak off to Brazil to do these tests at a certain remote BAF airbase famous for its continual atrocious crosswinds... Should the gear sideloads be excessive and fold one up, there is nobody there to take nasty pix for the Airbus guys to wave around in the press. This is some good piloting in getting these planes down. It comes close to "incredible". Note the rudder action on landing. w00t!
Damm.... (http://forums.ehowa.com/wmVS/crosswindlandings.wmv)

Sleek-Jet
02-28-2006, 03:11 PM
They need a little more rudder... :D

LAFD
02-28-2006, 03:27 PM
thats some awesome flying that would be a trip to be a passenger on the plane..

Debbolas
02-28-2006, 03:32 PM
K, I'm a girl
(non-flying)
why are they trying to land the planes sideways?
Did ya see the flex in the tail?! :jawdrop:

Sleek-Jet
02-28-2006, 03:35 PM
K, I'm a girl
(non-flying)
They are testing the side loading on the landing gear... they have to be able to withstand a certin amount of side loading to meet certification requirements.

Debbolas
02-28-2006, 03:44 PM
side loading, do you mean how much torque the landing gear can stand.....sideways? Is that why they have three wheels instead of two?

Sleek-Jet
02-28-2006, 03:47 PM
side loading, do you mean how much torque the landing gear can stand.....sideways? Is that why they have three wheels instead of two?
Yes... how much torque the gear can withstand while moving sideways.
The reason there are 3 sets of wheels is the weight of the airplane.

Debbolas
02-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Thank you!
:D

Mardonzi
02-28-2006, 03:53 PM
Ever watched a BUFF do a crosswind landing???

SMFRiverRat
02-28-2006, 04:59 PM
K, I'm a girl
(non-flying)
The reason is to actually have a "max demonstrated x-wind" landing speed . Max demonstrated crosswind is just that, the maximum that the test pilots landed in during the certification of the aircraft. A lot of certification is done at Edwards Air Force Base. The lake bed is used so they can get a true 90 degrees to the direction of landing. The speed can and will usually go down if certian items are not functioning (mel or cdl). I.E. -Anti-skid or spoilerons.
In most airline operations, we are usually heading to an alternate if this wind is exceeded. We still might go "take a look" an hope that the winds die off a bit at arrival time. Most winds are never actually 90 degrees to the runway and we can figure out what they are. The max speed is not a limit and we can land but then we become test pilots of sort. I am not going to try that with a jet full of passengers.

ECeptor
02-28-2006, 05:11 PM
I've been on a flight from O-Hare to Wichita that was abandoned and we landed in KC due to side winds. We can get pretty strong west winds in Wichita at time...I was glad to hear we weren't landing...the decent was brutally rough.
Hat's off to those pilots on the clip. They certainly earned their paychecks!

SMFRiverRat
02-28-2006, 05:14 PM
I've been on a flight from O-Hare to Wichita that was abandoned and we landed in KC due to side winds. We can get pretty strong west winds in Wichita at time...I was glad to hear we weren't landing...the decent was brutally rough.
Oh yeah...I ended up in Tulsa for the night after an attempt in Wichita.
Got to say that Wichita is one of my favorite overnights. Right after Memphis

Havasu Hangin'
02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
These guys are good.

Debbolas
02-28-2006, 05:55 PM
The reason is to actually have a "max demonstrated x-wind" landing speed . Max demonstrated crosswind is just that, the maximum that the test pilots landed in during the certification of the aircraft. A lot of certification is done at Edwards Air Force Base. The lake bed is used so they can get a true 90 degrees to the direction of landing. The speed can and will usually go down if certian items are not functioning (mel or cdl). I.E. -Anti-skid or spoilerons.
In most airline operations, we are usually heading to an alternate if this wind is exceeded. We still might go "take a look" an hope that the winds die off a bit at arrival time. Most winds are never actually 90 degrees to the runway and we can figure out what they are. The max speed is not a limit and we can land but then we become test pilots of sort. I am not going to try that with a jet full of passengers.
Wind makes sense.....I was wondering why/how they were coming in sideways like that......Thanks! :D

Ziggy
02-28-2006, 06:01 PM
I've had some pretty gnarley sideways landings in Reno with the wind coming down off the Sierra's......very noticable from coach seating :D

Tom Brown
02-28-2006, 06:12 PM
Ayyyyay high oooo aaayyyyaaaa!

ahhell
02-28-2006, 06:15 PM
GREAT....i shouldnt have watched that one...not a great fan of flying, and Im scheduled to leave sunday morning :220v: to Milwaukie...hows the ice out there these days :cry: :cry:

Cole91
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Wichita! He's proud of his town. Dubbie :rollside: is it much farther?

ECeptor
02-28-2006, 06:20 PM
Oh yeah...I ended up in Tulsa for the night after an attempt in Wichita.
Got to say that Wichita is one of my favorite overnights. Right after Memphis
Holla next time you are in town and I'll buy you a brew and we can talk boats!

ECeptor
02-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Wichita! He's proud of his town. Dubbie :rollside: is it much farther?
Wichita...aircraft...there's a bit of a relationship w/ history there....

Tom Brown
Im scheduled to leave sunday morning :220v: to Milwaukie...hows the ice out there these days :cry: :cry:
Milwaukie? Are you kidding?
If your flight isn't cancelled... it will be a clear sign of bad judgement and will probably be actionable by your estate.

SMFRiverRat
Holla next time you are in town and I'll buy you a brew and we can talk boats!
You bet!

PHX ATC
02-28-2006, 06:38 PM
That gives me wood! :rollside:

BajaMike
02-28-2006, 06:42 PM
Ever watched a BUFF do a crosswind landing???
Ya, the landing gear on the B-52 turns to line up with the runway, looks very cool, they can almost land sideways, with no stress on the gear..... :idea:
Ever see the video of first 707 do a barrell roll over the boat races at Lake Washington??? That was cool, I think it was the only time it's ever been done.
:rollside: :) :rollside: :) :rollside: :)

Jbb
02-28-2006, 07:20 PM
The third wheel is not just for testing...The Boeing 777 has 6 wheels per side for the main gear...
http://static.flickr.com/33/48629673_9fc1c7b8e5_m.jpg

Tom Brown
02-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Tripples. :yuk:
I'll bet the front and rear tires scrub off when they have to back in at tight ramps.
.... they could use some lower profile rubber. :idea:

Sleek-Jet
02-28-2006, 08:23 PM
True... but also notice that they are putting little or no correction in before touch down. I hope you guys don't land your RJ's in a crab like that. :D Part of that max crosswind component is how much side load the gear can withstand if no correction is made.
Oh, and Tom... go tripples or go home. :D

Racer277
02-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Milwaukie? Are you kidding?
If your flight isn't cancelled... it will be a clear sign of bad judgement and will probably be actionable by your estate.
LMAO
I sure don't miss flying.
Milwaukee is always so friggin cold..
Good Luck!

Huckleberry
02-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Holy crap! Those are some talented pilots with HUGE cajones!!!

Wet Dream
02-28-2006, 08:56 PM
A friend of mine was a pilot throughout highschool, he flew Cessna 172s. We went up with him a couple of times out of San Jose International. We went up one afternoon for a little tour while the weather was nice, but there was an approaching front, so we knew we wanted to get down before it came in. The front came in as expected, but we were late. Flying north on our final to SJI, the tower had us land on runway right. The wind were gusting from the west. Full rudder for compensation and about 500' off the tarmac, there is a 737 coming in for final on runway left. The 737 at a greater speed than us takes our crosswind away. Then as he passes us, we get the full force of a gust...the 172 almost tossed into a barrel. I'm looking out the passenger side at the ground. The tower is freaking out watching this, hollering on the radio. He gets it down, right wheel first, sparks flying from what I can assume is the brake pads and gets us down safely. After that trip, its hard to scare me in a plane.

BajaMike
03-01-2006, 02:05 PM
Crosswind Landing Testing - This little item shows the Boeing factory determining the demonstrated crosswind landing limits on the 777 and the 747SP. The engineers make educated guesses, but then the test crews have to go actually prove the numbers. They sneak off to Brazil to do these tests at a certain remote BAF airbase famous for its continual atrocious crosswinds... Should the gear sideloads be excessive and fold one up, there is nobody there to take nasty pix for the Airbus guys to wave around in the press. This is some good piloting in getting these planes down. It comes close to "incredible". Note the rudder action on landing. w00t!
Damm.... (http://forums.ehowa.com/wmVS/crosswindlandings.wmv)
Seems like the link doesn't work anymore....
Did anyone save this file or know where it is?? I would like to have the video.

desertbird
03-01-2006, 02:07 PM
Seems like the link doesn't work anymore....
Did anyone save this file or know where it is?? I would like to have the video.
Yeah, link is dead, and I'd love to see it.

Jbb
03-01-2006, 03:30 PM
Yeah, link is dead, and I'd love to see it.
Not dead!.....just dormant.... (http://www.thecia.net/users/stewarte/WmVs/crosswindlandings.wmv)
right click.......save as.... :p

Red Eye
03-01-2006, 03:45 PM
Can you imagine if you had a window seat and saw the the runway coming sideways at you??? DAYUM!!! I'd have to change my shorts.

BajaMike
03-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Not dead!.....just dormant.... (http://www.thecia.net/users/stewarte/WmVs/crosswindlandings.wmv)
right click.......save as.... :p
Thanks...got it!

Some Kind Of Monster
03-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Daymmmmnnn Thats some serious stress on the gear!

Aqua Boogie1
03-01-2006, 04:20 PM
OMG!!!!!!! I almost shyt my pants sitting right here!!!!!!

boatsnblondes
03-01-2006, 06:23 PM
All my years..I have never seen anything as cool as that....Boing..my hats off to you guys....and congrats for outselling airbus again last year...