PDA

View Full Version : Panther Pump Question

LeE ss13
10-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I have heard you have to pull the engine on a Jet Boat with a Panther Pump to change the streering cable. Do you have to do that to change the shifter, (forward reverse) cable? This is a boat I inherited.

GERONIMO
10-13-2007, 04:39 PM
(forward reverse) no i did mine about 3 wk ago..if you have the nut on the cable on the outside of the pump its a real pain in the A$^^# :)
Robert

Bow Tie Omega
10-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I had to pull my motor to change the cable......You can try to just undo the mounts and slide her forward, it might give you enough clearance without having to undo everything else. Good luck

jetboatperformance
10-13-2007, 06:36 PM
I had to pull my motor to change the cable......You can try to just undo the mounts and slide her forward, it might give you enough clearance without having to undo everything else. Good luck
Good call re cable changes !! Hey Robert Give me a shout when you get a chance Tom

GERONIMO
10-14-2007, 03:08 AM
ok, will do on monday:) :)

LeE ss13
10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks all. I will pull the motor anyway, the heads are already off. Besides, now I have found out that the steering cable does not work either. I think I was told that I have to unscrew that one all the way. Now I have the big nut off the forward reverse cable. How does it come out? Does it just pull out or does it unscrew also? I can't move it in or out or rotate it. Is it just a matter of brute force?

H20MOFO
10-14-2007, 02:59 PM
If I remember right you have to twist the whole f'n cable. when i did my panther conversion i just cut mine. Good luck!

LeE ss13
10-14-2007, 03:35 PM
Also ... anybody know where I can buy these cables in SoCal? I also need the Morse forward/reverse shifter assembly. Is this stuff available online?

CPBRIAN10THMTN
10-15-2007, 09:06 AM
I have them in stock, they come in ft length incriments(most around 78 bucks), its just a 4300 BC cable. Unfortunately yeah, you gotta move the motor cuz that stupid cable threads in from the backside, you gotta spin the whole damn cable in too, pain in the butt.

LeE ss13
10-25-2007, 01:50 PM
I highly recommend JetBoatPerformance for all your JB parts needs. Called Tom on Tuesday and got both cables, (an exact match), on Thursday at a better price than any local dealer. They got my business from now on. Very knowledgable and helpful.
LarryE