PDA

View Full Version : After 5 years

Sportin' Wood
10-13-2007, 07:13 PM
of 4 nights a week, my kids are finally Black belts.
The kids tested today in an all day affair with Tadash Yamashita and when the dust settled he issued them Black Belts. Man I'm glad they passed. what a deal.
My son took front and center directly in front of Sensi Yamishita and took a pounding from the Karate master as he barked out orders in front of a 4 panel jury of 3rd,6th,7th, and 9th degree black belts.
My daughter was getting off easier, untill he called her to the front and made her perform kata barking his orders and making her do it again and again untill it was perfect. the kids did great and never cracked.
My daughter was offered a job today at the Dojo and will start teaching her own classes as soon as Cross country season is over. Guess she's getting off easy on a first job. No burger flipping for her.:D
Tadashi Yamashita is an icon in martial arts. he has worked with all the top names in Martial arts over the years including Bruce Lee and heaven help us, Chuck Norris.:D :D
I am sure proud of my kids, this was no easy task. It's the real deal.
http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/tadashi-yamashits.htm

Sleeper CP
10-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Congrats to the kids:) That is great and a lot of commitment from your kids.
:D :D :D
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

BajaMike
10-13-2007, 07:20 PM
I am sure proud of my kids, this was no easy task. It's the real deal.
http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/tadashi-yamashits.htm
That's a great accomplishment for your kids...and a positive thing for the rest of their lives.....congradulations to you and the kids!
:idea:

OCMerrill
10-13-2007, 08:28 PM
Tons of work. Congratulations. An accomplishment they keep forever.
My daughter is a new 1st degree BB but in Tae Kwon Do. I can relate to the time spent. 5-6 days a week for 3 years. Now it ramps up for us:eek:
I felt as you when tested but she produced a flawless form and passed.
Holy Moly's daughter is a new BB's as well.

DILLIGAF
10-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Congrats to both of them Jeff/Angie. I know they had to put in a lot of hard work to achieve this.

HOOTER SLED-
10-13-2007, 10:26 PM
Ahhahahahahaha Jeff......they are gonna kick yo ass!!!!!!!!!! Look out. LOL:D

Sportin' Wood
10-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Ahhahahahahaha Jeff......they are gonna kick yo ass!!!!!!!!!! Look out. LOL:D
They have been doing that for a while now. I have to tell the other sibling to do the punishing now.:D I do still have the evil eye thing going for me, at least I can pull that card out against my little super hero's.;)

boatnam2
10-14-2007, 06:57 AM
Congrats.Takes alot of comitment from both parents and children.

JetBoatRich
10-14-2007, 07:22 AM
Good for them and congratulations:D

franky
10-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Congrats to you and your kids. My son has a 2nd degree BB but in Tae Kwon Do and was a junior instructor. He went to the State Junior Olympics about 3-4 years ago and got a bronze in his division so he got to go to the Nationals in San Antionio where he got a gold medal. If he was one year older at the time, he would have been on the US team. The studio owners was 8th degree Master and coached the US team. Certainly not a buy-a-belt studio, all Korean Masters, barely spoke english. He was Olympic material. Those were some proud moments.
That was in S. Cal, moved to Havi and nothing here for him. Sorry son. Goes to NAU now and is on the Cheer team. He will be back!!!!

Sportin' Wood
10-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Congrats to you and your kids. My son has a 2nd degree BB but in Tae Kwon Do and was a junior instructor. He went to the State Junior Olympics about 3-4 years ago and got a bronze in his division so he got to go to the Nationals in San Antionio where he got a gold medal. If he was one year older at the time, he would have been on the US team. The studio owners was 8th degree Master and coached the US team. Certainly not a buy-a-belt studio, all Korean Masters, barely spoke english. He was Olympic material. Those were some proud moments.
That was in S. Cal, moved to Havi and nothing here for him. Sorry son. Goes to NAU now and is on the Cheer team. He will be back!!!!
Is there really no studio in havi?
In our school they have a family tree on the wall, that goes back to the beginning. Its amazing when they show you at what point the different forms split off and made a branch. Funny you bring up the buyabelt. Tae kwon do gets a bad rap because of the greed of some school's. Heck we have two schools across the street from one another here in Menifee that seem hair ball. One of them has no mats and the kids wear shoes when the train????

OCMerrill
10-14-2007, 04:59 PM
One of them has no mats and the kids wear shoes when the train????
Sketchy at best. As a parent I would pass. We have watched kids (including our own) hit the mat hard during sparring and even just a bad kick. I could just not imagine no mat and wearing shoes?:eek:
There are inconsistencies we have noticed. Friends we wheel with out in Lucerne have a son that started 6 mo's after my daughter. They live and attend a studio in Corona. He became a Black Belt before my daughter and we NEVER missed a test date.
So our studio either needs to keep the kids longer (more monthly monies) or they feel the kids need a slower schedule?
My daughter aids in teaching now as is a requirement when BB. I figure this saves the studio owner money on payroll.:)
These kids learn a great deal but it a business none the less.

Sportin' Wood
10-14-2007, 06:56 PM
Sketchy at best. As a parent I would pass. We have watched kids (including our own) hit the mat hard during sparring and even just a bad kick. I could just not imagine no mat and wearing shoes?:eek:
There are inconsistencies we have noticed. Friends we wheel with out in Lucerne have a son that started 6 mo's after my daughter. They live and attend a studio in Corona. He became a Black Belt before my daughter and we NEVER missed a test date.
So our studio either needs to keep the kids longer (more monthly monies) or they feel the kids need a slower schedule?
My daughter aids in teaching now as is a requirement when BB. I figure this saves the studio owner money on payroll.:)
These kids learn a great deal but it a business none the less.
The school with no mat's is really sketchy, 3 owners in the last couple years. I'm stoked with the yamishita school. it is top notch all the way. Two stories, with two classes going at any given time, small class sizes, top quality mats and equiptment, amazing customer service, and heritage. They also are adding a pro shop. thats pretty cool.

franky
10-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Is there really no studio in havi?
In our school they have a family tree on the wall, that goes back to the beginning. Its amazing when they show you at what point the different forms split off and made a branch. Funny you bring up the buyabelt. Tae kwon do gets a bad rap because of the greed of some school's. Heck we have two schools across the street from one another here in Menifee that seem hair ball. One of them has no mats and the kids wear shoes when the train????
There is one but small and run by a white guy. Son went there and was not impressed. He really was at a great studio in Thousand Oaks/Camarillo. He goes back during his school break and teaches. When he tested for his 2nd degree he kicked ass on laimo people testing for their 2nd and 3rd. The crowd went wild. He did his routine to Devo's "Whip It".
I can not tell enough parents how good this stuff is for their kids. Teaches self confidence, discipline and respect for parents/others. He never "shows off" what he can do but I know for sure he can take care of himself.