PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about towing this?

ChumpChange
10-14-2007, 01:29 PM
Went to the RV show yesterday and thinking about the www.keystone-fuzion.com 373 model. What do you think about towing that with my new 2007 2500HD Duramax?
Anybody have one of these trailers?

vee-driven
10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
You can doooo'it

BLOWN HOWARD
10-14-2007, 04:08 PM
See people doing it all the time. Is it safe? maybe. Nice Rig!!!!! I see people towing 40ft toyhaulers all the time.

CampbellCarl
10-14-2007, 04:32 PM
What's the towing rating on the D/Max? Specs show the trailer @ 12,500 or so, plus whatever you add. Guessing you'd be pushing 15K. I suppose it's possible but seems that you'd be pukkering that new seat bottom!
CC

Racer277
10-14-2007, 07:45 PM
Went to the RV show yesterday and thinking about the www.keystone-fuzion.com 373 model. What do you think about towing that with my new 2007 2500HD Duramax?
Anybody have one of these trailers?
Have the dealer weigh it for you.
It should cost them about $10 for a weight slip.
Note everything considered dealer options is probably not listed on the tag. I bet it weighs more than you and they think. Also, verify the axles and tires are up to the total weight. You may not be able to put everything you want in there without going overweight.

curtis73
10-15-2007, 02:22 AM
I say hell no. GVW on that trailer is over 16k. You are strictly into 1-ton dually territory there, and its gotta be crew cab long bed.
I tow a 32' fiver with my HD2500 Dmax. Its a crew cab short bed. The trailer is GVW of 10,600 and it does beautifully. I'd push it to 12k and 34', but you're talking serious billboard action at 39' with that 373. When you're dealing with boats or flatbeds, use GVW and tow capacity. When you're dealing with an RV with 320 sq-ft of billboard behind you, don't even consider it. One good blast of air and you're in a ditch.
It will also depend on how much you tow. Trust me on this one as a guy who has lived a conglomerate of 13 of his 34 years living in an RV... it makes a WORLD of difference. If you are just going up the road 40 miles twice a year, who cares... tow it with a bicycle, but if you are looking at really using this RV, the right tow vehicle makes the difference between arriving happy and refreshed, or arriving with white knuckles beating the wife and kids.
Don't try to max out the RV for your tow vehicle, get what your tow vehicle can logically handle without killing you or otherwise making you want to kill anything else :)
Edit: and by the way... NEVER use shipping weight as your guide. A recent highway study showed that 54% of surveyed RVs were OVER their GVW. I don't care how light you pack, a tank of water, some canned food, and your supplies for a weekend can easily put you at or over GVW. Always assume GVW in your calculations.

Brewzed
10-15-2007, 08:04 AM
My friend bought one of these a few months ago. He tows it with his F-250 powerstroke without any problems. Your dmax will pull it fine. A 2WD Dmax crewcab short bed max trailer weight is 15,200#. You just have to pay attention to how heavy you load it. You should keep it below the max. weight your truck will handle.
The only strange thing they do with these trailers is the pipe the generator exhaust out to the lounge side of the trailer where the door and the awning is. If your hanging out and your generator is running you get high from the exhaust fumes.

ChumpChange
10-15-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I looked on other boards but this one seems to get the most traffic, even for off topic questions like this one.
Curtis73: Thanks for the really logical post. I really have no toys to weigh this thing down but in time getting some will only make it heavier. I would hope to go many places with this trailer all across the country.
Brewzed: Thanks for the input on that exhaust pipe. I will make sure I look at that.

Brewzed
10-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Also, check to make sure it has the new tires on it. My buddy had a recall notice for the tires. He had to have all 6 replaced. They came to him, but still something you shouldn't have to deal with. His is an '07, so they my have changed the exhaust on the '08s. Look at the outdoor speakers. They had regular car speakers in his and the sun and weather ate them up.
Other than the exhaust, it's a really nice set up. Very comfortable.

CMac
10-15-2007, 05:27 PM
The truck will do it. But the insurance company might counter sue you if something goes wrong.
I converted my 2500HD to a 10 bolt dually, added air bags, 456 gears, gas shocks, headers, etc. etc. so I could tow a 17,000 lb boat. BTW, it towes like a champ up the mountains to Powell. But, the whole insurance thing has got me runnin for a new truck. Now I'm trading it in for an F450. Don't waste any money on it like I did.

rivrrts429
10-16-2007, 10:55 AM
I think your crazy, but I would have said the opposite before this past weekend. I have an F-350 powerstroke and I tow my 37 Next Level 5'er with it, but due to a car accident a couple weeks ago I had to bring my trailer home from the River with my Bro inlaws 07 2500 hd shortbed Duramax.
Holy shit was that sketchy. Any kind of breeze was pushing me around, even when getting passed by autos in the fast lane. It was night and day towing with my 1 ton long bed and towing with his 3/4 ton Duramax. My next level comes in around 12.5k dry weight and fully loaded at 16.5k. Keep in mind that you are overweight regardless if your trailer is empty. The highway patrol can pull you over and if your trailers "potential" carrying weight exceeds your trucks rated capacity you get nailed, unless you have a class "A" non-commercial, but then your insurance can decline coverage if your in an accident due to oversized load.
Like my first post says, I would've said your good to go last week. But once I towed mine home with the Dura I would'nt do it.
Either look for a smaller trailer or a bigger truck. Good luck with your search.
Richard

riverroyal
10-19-2007, 07:39 PM
37ft warrior,now I have a 40 ft 5th wheel.If your trucks a long bed 4 door it not a big deal.Airbag the truck also.Then just take your time.You may be illegal on weight,thats not real good.

riverroyal
10-19-2007, 07:41 PM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/510/2371camp_october.JPG

Magic34
10-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Buy my dually and you are all good up to 40'. :D :D
Seriously. :)

jackpunx
10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
I tow a 40' cyclone with a lifted f250. I have installed airbags and took the larger tires off and went doen to 35"s.
Im currently looking to put the stock springs back on the truck and lowering it a little more. The front end hunts and floats just a little bit.. I towed it back from Calcity this last weekend in the wind and it was a little sketchy but I drive the speed limit so it was not as bad as some of the other guys all over the road trying to pass me.. It is over weight though. I also tow this trailer with a Comercial tractor most of the time.. but when we go dry camping in the dirt or sand.. I want to have the 4x4 just in case.. I have a CDL and lots of experience with towing.. If I could afford it.. I would just get the new f450 and call it a day..
but my 250 gets the job done.
just make sure you have your trailer brakes dialed in , a good set of air bags and plan ahead.

SnoC653
11-02-2007, 05:20 PM
While I haven't pulled a Toy box or RV, I pull my 30 foot gooseneck horse trailer all over the place. Don't just think of local winds when you consider the wind blowing the trailer around. You mentioned you want to haul it all over. As you go through the mountains the winds can play havoc with a 3/4 ton pulling a big flat sided trailer. Get the bigger dualy and have piece of mind that you have the best setup you can have. And it's not just the winds you have to deal with. Sudden lane changes avoiding bad drivers can take you out quicker with the 3/4 ton than with the 1 ton. You wouldn't under equip your boat for the task at hand, why would you do it to your truck?

Josh4Repos
11-05-2007, 10:51 AM
If you are still looking for a 5th wheel, check this out. I don't know much about the different makes and models, but I know this is a good price.
Call Chris at (714) 895-2628 Ext 1 if you have questions.
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168582