PDA

View Full Version : I love my job

Tom Brown
10-14-2007, 04:13 PM
… so I’m at work for the 14th straight hour. All overtime, of course.
One of the technical guys has gone completely caustic. He gets cranky when he stays away from his chemistry set for more than a couple of hours and he’s been here now for the better part of 8 hours. He slipped out to his car and drank a few beer but, judging by the number of people he’s telling to go fock themselves per minute, that doesn’t seem to be cutting it.
Meanwhile, the other main technical guy has spent the last 45 minutes in a melt-down telephone conversation with his wife, explaining how the work he is doing today is required to keep the company functioning and, therefore, his employment. "Honey... we discussed this... it is very important for me to be here right now." A few minutes ago I heard him telling her how it wasn’t that great, the last time he was on unemployment insurance. He’s promising her the world to be patient with him for the rest of the day. There's no way he can live up to the promises he's making.
Gee… I wish I was married.
One of the two managers who is in, isn’t talking. The new manager who just started is friendly with everyone but the manager who has been here for 8 years is so furious that the new manager was hired on his level that he can’t talk. He’s in the storage room throwing retired servers at the equipment rack. It sounds like a car shredder in there.
The Sun contractors installing our new SAN equipment are happy and semi-productive, of course. One of them is a rather large (400+ pound) and always happy man named Earl.
…. So it’s dinner time and the guys are ordering Chinese food. The whole process was going OK with bickering and name calling but nothing violent…. Until Earl put his name down as the fourth part of a dinner for four. Nobody wants to share food with Earl.
I’ve only had to fix one problem so far. One of the servers lost network connectivity after being removed from the rack, serviced, and reinstalled. I was not their favorite person in the world after going into the data center, plugging the network cable back in, confirming connectivity, and then leaving. :D
These guys are so furious with the fact that they're working, they can't do their jobs. :D :D :D
I'll end up with 65 hours of OT this week. I don't mind it. These guys are working on 8 hours of overtime this week and most of them are so grumpy, I’m expecting a fist fight to break out. Actually, I’m hoping for it and will do what I can to promote the idea.
Fortunately, I’ll be able to leave in about 6 hours. They should just about have the Chinese food order sorted out by then.

Noisy Nova
10-14-2007, 04:20 PM
So...any job openings there?

maxwedge
10-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Lmao. :D

phebus
10-14-2007, 04:22 PM
Start ripping some serious farts and watch the mood go from intense to ballistic. :D

Flyinbowtie
10-14-2007, 04:25 PM
65 hours of O/T in a week? :eek:
Hope your tax deal ain't like ours. I never took more than 25 hours O/T in cash in a two week pay period, if there was more than that, it went into the Comp Bank. Beyond 25 hours knocked me back to about 1/2 pay because of the damn taxes.
Sounds like things are startin' to simmer a bit up there, I think I'd be lookin' into body armor. Somebody could go postal under those circs.

Jbb
10-14-2007, 04:26 PM
Caustic....:p
Earl rocks......for a fat bastard....:D

Boatcop
10-14-2007, 04:54 PM
All work and no play makes Brown a dull man.
Al least that's what HE wants us to believe. :D

Kim Hanson
10-14-2007, 05:23 PM
… so I’m at work for the 14th straight hour. All overtime, of course.
One of the technical guys has gone completely caustic. He gets cranky when he stays away from his chemistry set for more than a couple of hours and he’s been here now for the better part of 8 hours. He slipped out to his car and drank a few beer but, judging by the number of people he’s telling to go fock themselves per minute, that doesn’t seem to be cutting it.
Meanwhile, the other main technical guy has spent the last 45 minutes in a melt-down telephone conversation with his wife, explaining how the work he is doing today is required to keep the company functioning and, therefore, his employment. "Honey... we discussed this... it is very important for me to be here right now." A few minutes ago I heard him telling her how it wasn’t that great, the last time he was on unemployment insurance. He’s promising her the world to be patient with him for the rest of the day. There's no way he can live up to the promises he's making.
One of the two managers who is in, isn’t talking. The new manager who just started is friendly with everyone but the manager who has been here for 8 years is so furious that the new manager was hired on his level that he can’t talk. He’s in the storage room throwing retired servers at the equipment rack. It sounds like a car shredder in there.
The Sun contractors installing our new SAN equipment are happy and semi-productive, of course. One of them is a rather large (400+ pound) and always happy man named Earl.
…. So it’s dinner time and the guys are ordering Chinese food. The whole process was going OK with bickering and name calling but nothing violent…. Until Earl put his name down as the fourth part of a dinner for four. Nobody wants to share food with Earl.
I’ve only had to fix one problem so far. One of the servers lost network connectivity after being removed from the rack, serviced, and reinstalled. I was not their favorite person in the world after going into the data center, plugging the network cable back in, confirming connectivity, and then leaving. :D
These guys are so furious with the fact that they're working, they can't do their jobs. :D :D :D
I'll end up with 65 hours of OT this week. I don't mind it. These guys are working on 8 hours of overtime this week and most of them are so grumpy, I’m expecting a fist fight to break out. Actually, I’m hoping for it and will do what I can to promote the idea.
Fortunately, I’ll be able to leave in about 6 hours. They should just about have the Chinese food order sorted out by then.
Rigging is worse, I am going to write a book on it at soon as I get out of this shit...........I wonder how many will get it ? :D :D Hang in there buddy and get a video when the fights start :idea: :D :D ..........( . )( . )............

Tom Brown
10-14-2007, 05:59 PM
The Chinese food just arrived. Earl is demonstrating his technique for supporting 5 pounds of food on a paper plate. Apparently, red dragon plates are stronger than steel.
They solved the food issue by ordering two meals for four... for four people. Between those and the rest of the Chinese food, we have supplies for a week long ice storm.
The manager is talking now. He's helping us realize how good we had it before when he was stomping around with his mouth shut and his face red.
Our ball-less technician is off the phone now and seems strangely happy. He was telling an off-color joke through a mouth full of egg roll when I last saw him in our bull pen. Something must be up there.
Keith Richards is now sitting in the hardware setup room in the fetal position with the lights off. Nobody has the guts to go in there and see if he's OK. Looking in through the window in the door makes me think it's time to call in some professionals.
I love these guys. Seriously... these guys are like brothers to me.
Believe it or not, I'm the calm, occasionally rational, quiet guy that everybody likes. It's just as well they don't follow the ***boat forums. :D

thatguy
10-14-2007, 06:14 PM
Rigging is worse, I am going to write a book on it at soon as I get out of this shit...........I wonder how many will get it ? :D :D Hang in there buddy and get a video when the fights start :idea: :D :D ..........( . )( . )............
Let me know Kimmie, I have a whole chapter called "Just another hitch or two!".
Tommy

Mandelon
10-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Any women there Tom?

Tom Brown
10-14-2007, 06:30 PM
Start ripping some serious farts and watch the mood go from intense to ballistic. :D
Once this Chinese food kicks in things will probably become dangerous.
Sounds like things are startin' to simmer a bit up there, I think I'd be lookin' into body armor. Somebody could go postal under those circs.
If there is automatic weapons fire, I'll start a new thread about it.
Earl rocks......for a fat bastard....:D
Earl is one of the coolest people around. I like him a lot. He's the brothers I never had.
I am going to write a book on it at soon as I get out of this shit...........I wonder how many will get it ?..........( . )( . )............
I would be pleased to write a forword for your book, Kim. I'd want a free copy in return for the effort.

Tom Brown
10-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Any women there Tom?
No.
We have plenty of women working for the company but I'm not aware of any of them doing any overtime. I guess they all good home lives with pets, vibrators, and shit.

Mandelon
10-14-2007, 06:35 PM
What did you order?

whiteworks
10-14-2007, 06:36 PM
whats overtime? sounds fancy!
I like chinese food, gonna go get some now:D

Mrs 2LKHVSU
10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
It's just as well they don't follow the ***boat forums. :D
As far as you know..........

OGShocker
10-15-2007, 05:59 AM
LMAO!!!
Update please.
:D:D:D

Jbb
10-15-2007, 06:00 AM
No.
We have plenty of women working for the company but I'm not aware of any of them doing any overtime. I guess they all good home lives with pets, vibrators, and shit.
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....:D

sorry dog
10-16-2007, 07:20 AM
I think this very thing is required for some men to enjoy their work...when the alternative is ... harder work.