PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Filter/Water Separator Mount

Taylorman
02-28-2006, 05:34 PM
I need a nice fuel filter water separator mount and filter. The one i have is a Raycor and its only a 60 gph filter with 1/4 npt fittings. Im upgrading my fuel plumbing so i want a higher flow filter. Who has a nice filter mount and whats the best kind of filter to run?

hbpdub
02-28-2006, 05:44 PM
Hardin Marine has a bitchen set up that is billet and flows 200 gph the part # is 625-7660.

retromek
02-28-2006, 05:47 PM
Hey Taylorman what are you doi'n over there seem's like I'm into the same stuff at the same time. Anyhow just got delivery of a water seporator (whatever Spelling sucks but but beer is good) from ebay. Are you doin a winter re-fit? Of all yer riggin?
Bunch of paint fumes today,...

Taylorman
02-28-2006, 05:53 PM
Hey Taylorman what are you doi'n over there seem's like I'm into the same stuff at the same time. Anyhow just got delivery of a water seporator (whatever Spelling sucks but but beer is good) from ebay. Are you doin a winter re-fit? Of all yer riggin?
Bunch of paint fumes today,...
Among all the other things im doing, im pulling my fuel tanks out for new senders and new larger fittings for the pickups. Im welding in some -8 fittings at the bottom of the tanks. Im also getting a higher flow fuel filter.

retromek
02-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Do you have the sheet metal type tanks or the spun aluminum cool torpedo types?
You glassing them back in or bolting them?

67weimann
02-28-2006, 09:38 PM
Is glassing metal tanks in a good idea?
I am currently getting some tanks made and was gonna have some brackets welded on and then glass some mounts in the hull to attach the tank to.

IMPATIENT 1
03-01-2006, 07:53 AM
orielly's has a wix kit that has large ports in and out and works great,@40bucks. i use the same filter for 1yr. and since i installed mine(3yrs ago),not one water in the carb prob..pm me if you need a p#. i can take a look at mine this evenin and get the numbers to ya.they flow like a motha too.

Taylorman
03-01-2006, 08:31 AM
Do you have the sheet metal type tanks or the spun aluminum cool torpedo types?
Mine are sheet metal aluminum ones. They are bolted in. Im pulling them out to put new senders in them. I was surprised at how clean they are inside for being 30 yrs old. Im gonna order new senders from Rex today and weld in some larger fittings.

Willis
03-01-2006, 08:41 AM
I need a nice fuel filter water separator mount and filter. The one i have is a Raycor and its only a 60 gph filter with 1/4 npt fittings. Im upgrading my fuel plumbing so i want a higher flow filter. Who has a nice filter mount and whats the best kind of filter to run?
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=14197
This filter flow hi Volume
Willis

superdave013
03-01-2006, 10:20 AM
I think the mounts that REX sells look really nice. They have big ports too.

Taylorman
03-01-2006, 10:33 AM
I looked for one at Rex. Which one are you talking about?
Im gonna order the Sierra stainless head. Anyone use this one? Should be ok to 500 hp?
http://www.rexmar.com/images/page202.jpg

superdave013
03-02-2006, 08:08 AM
I thought rex had a nice billet one but I'm not seeing it on that page. PermaCool makes one that is black and has AN O ring boss ports that you might want to look into.
Walt at Perma Cool is a real nice guy. I'll be a dealer for them by the end of the year. Just right now other things are in the way of my first buy in.

DelawareDave
03-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Among all the other things im doing, im pulling my fuel tanks out for new senders and new larger fittings for the pickups. Im welding in some -8 fittings at the bottom of the tanks. Im also getting a higher flow fuel filter.
I think you are asking for a "boatload" of trouble, putting the fuel outlets on the bottom of the tank.

RCB19
03-02-2006, 09:22 AM
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?lang=-1&catalogId=10002&storeId=10001&categoryId=14197
This filter flow hi Volume
Willis
I have used the same one that Willis is using here for years. Flows an insane amount of fuel and separates water. It has a drain on the bottom to release the water. That Fram deal has very limited water separating capabillities.

Taylorman
03-02-2006, 09:29 AM
I think you are asking for a "boatload" of trouble, putting the fuel outlets on the bottom of the tank.
Care to share why you say that?

superdave013
03-02-2006, 09:33 AM
the USCG boohoo's that because if a hose leaks you go BOOM. But of course that is right were mine are too (came from schiada that way) and I have a sight tube going from top to bottom on each tank as well.

MKEELINE
03-02-2006, 10:23 AM
I did the same thing with my tanks awhile back. I put -10 pickups off the bottom, -8 returns in the top front section of the tank and vents. You may want to consider doing some of this while they are out. It makes things ALOT easier if you plan on doing anything different down the road, like more power. I also put ball valves on each pick up, I used Peterson valves. They are nice pieces, check them out @ www.petersonfluidsys.com. They have alot of other trick stuff as well. Just combine that with some Sweet Performance hose and fittings and you'll be set.

DelawareDave
03-02-2006, 05:24 PM
If, by some slim chance of the imagination, a line were to crack or break, the fuel would/could leak out into your bilge. If you were underway, and didn't notice it, this could be the start of an interesting series of events, not to mention the possibility of a "small" inferno. Or think of the possibilities if you park your boat in your garage, at your house.
Most boat and automotive manufacturers no longer have the fuel outlet on the bottom of the tank. Model "T", and Model "A" Ford's did way back when the carb was gravity fed, but they learned from their mistakes.
I believe the Coast Guard also mandates the fuel outlet be located on the top of the tank, as well. This rule also came about from "experience".
I, for one, would not be inclined to jeopardize my boat, or the safety of any passengers in my boat, for the minute "gain" in perceived performance.
My $.02 cents worth

dragboat
03-02-2006, 06:21 PM
If, by some slim chance of the imagination, a line were to crack or break, the fuel would/could leak out into your bilge. If you were underway, and didn't notice it, this could be the start of an interesting series of events, not to mention the possibility of a "small" inferno. Or think of the possibilities if you park your boat in your garage, at your house.
Most boat and automotive manufacturers no longer have the fuel outlet on the bottom of the tank. Model "T", and Model "A" Ford's did way back when the carb was gravity fed, but they learned from their mistakes.
I believe the Coast Guard also mandates the fuel outlet be located on the top of the tank, as well. This rule also came about from "experience".
I, for one, would not be inclined to jeopardize my boat, or the safety of any passengers in my boat, for the minute "gain" in perceived performance.
My $.02 cents worth
Count me in for $.02 on that! Why take any chance at all when the stakes are so high.