PDA

View Full Version : who was the first?

jweeks123
10-14-2007, 06:46 PM
ask all the old racers you know
who was the first to blow over an eliminator daytona? and when.
a gullwing of any make?
a southwind tunnel?
lets not slight our canadian buddys. an eagle tunnel?
i'm curious about these pioneers.
jw

victorfb
10-14-2007, 07:20 PM
id rather not know. even though not all lost thier lives, but the fact that flipping a boat does in fact bring spectators, i still hate that it takes THAT to bring boat racing to that level of spectatorship/media coverage. first driver to break triple digets, first to break 200MPH, first to most anything but crash is way cool with me. too many good drivers gone to be reminded about. and no im not a old racer, but i do value the racing edge these drivers need to push the envelope. and i dont think they need to be reminded about the losses/crashes. sorry if i seem harsh, but its just something i feel strong about.
now, if you really need to know, i bet no matter what you find out it wouldnt be totally accurate. most racers back in the day and even still do today do ALOT of "river racing" and have had missfortunes. the first one to flip may have actually happened in an unknown body of water at an unknown time.

jweeks123
10-14-2007, 10:27 PM
id rather not know.ok. don't read anymore of this thread. that's easy.
i'm interested in the reaction of the guys when they found out that a certain design that was working realy good and winning races, suddenly had a down side. they didn't stop racing em. shoemaker blew over a daytona which was a model he made famous. did that surprise him? was he the first? steelcomp's buddy blew over a gullwing. he went back racing. was his a first? did the early racers think these boats wouldn't go over? they seem to have kept on racing them even after the first guy went over.
jw

ol guy
10-15-2007, 05:08 PM
Probably the most famous blow over would be Rated X, with Bill Henderson as the pilot at lake ming in the early 1980's. Back when the capsule and feul limits did not exsist, Lots of guys have found and pushed the edge of air in lower classes but are not recorded or recognized. It is not so much any certain hull or whatever, it is the set-up and how far any certain individual wants to fly a tunnel. A better question would be the good old spit out at loss of propulsion due to loss of power to the pump. Boat goes right and driver goes left. Been there done that and water is real hard after 100mph! I could not begin to think of how many blow-overs I have seen and it is not so much a given hull but trying to fly to high. My 2 cents. Mark

GAWnCA
10-15-2007, 05:13 PM
Hey Ol Guy,
Water is hard at 60 mph too!! You'll skip like a rock if you land right. Hmmm, I wonder, is there REALLY a right way to land when everything goes haywire all at one time? I didn't have time when I pealed a bottom off a hydro in 1969 doing 60+ :)

ol guy
10-15-2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah I can realate I hit the water at 105 and the skip process burned my legs and butt checks for to long to remember, but that was another day on a piece of water most have not even heared of today, Ski land in perris way back doing some testing. Mark

Xerophobic
10-15-2007, 06:49 PM
ask all the old racers you know
who was the first to blow over an eliminator daytona? and when.
a gullwing of any make?
a southwind tunnel?
lets not slight our canadian buddys. an eagle tunnel?
i'm curious about these pioneers.
jw
Ill ask around about this but to my knowledge they just dont seem to react that way. One guy at the worlds this year got very very out of shape right in front of the beer gardens but aparently there is no video or pictures whatsoever. The boat did get extremely bow high from what I understand and sorta partially spun/flipped. The boat was damaged and the crew quite shaken but I dont believe one has ever gone over clean backwards. Canards have made this much easier to do but typically these boats behave very gently when overstuffing or getting too light in the nose.
Now endo-ing is a different story! This boat was completely destroyed...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8EXpfd9aVw
(minute 1:47)
definatly a very very scary wreck and I understand that crew was also very very shaken up. I'd trade for a few back flips any day to avoid going over forwards in a river of unknown depth with rocks etc

CampbellCarl
10-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Ol guy, how old is old? Ski'd at Skiland behind dad's 16' Glasspar w/ 75 hp Evinrude around those double islands about a thousand times! How old does that make me?
CC

ol guy
10-15-2007, 07:39 PM
Okay, I'll date myself at your'e request. Born in "58" first river trip that I have on 8 mm tape was in 1962 Back when the river was safe and you knew most of the people Like Mary at the market and Pollynesian Village was the only over the water dance floor. and Big Bend was THE PLACE . And yes ski land was a 1 mile turn with 2 islands and really hated when the let it dry up to build houses. And was at the havi to watch big ed mc buy the London bridge back in the late 60"s and have it torn down numbered and sent to havi to be rebuilt and make Lake Havisu what it has become today. I'm sure he is turning backflips in his grave. Back when you could go 1.5 miles back behind the rocks at what back then was called Disneyland and now called copper canyon and hang at the old beach way back. When Black Meadows had a 5 mile per hour zone out by the island and you could stil get a day-beach at 9am on saturday. I was there for the flood on the strip when Red Rock was under water and because I new somebody at Badenochs was the only boat on the water. I have pictures of that to. Mark

jweeks123
10-15-2007, 09:36 PM
holy sh*t xero! that was as scary a crash as i've seen. the ocean racers call that pitch-pole.
thought i'd seen a vid on the eagle site where a tunnel stood straight up and then went over backwards. in most cases in those videos, the guys seem to save it when it looks like a sure crash. definitely takes large nuts to race whitewater.
jw

Xerophobic
10-16-2007, 06:23 AM
holy sh*t xero! that was as scary a crash as i've seen. the ocean racers call that pitch-pole.
thought i'd seen a vid on the eagle site where a tunnel stood straight up and then went over backwards. in most cases in those videos, the guys seem to save it when it looks like a sure crash. definitely takes large nuts to race whitewater.
jw
You might be thinking of a red/white boat entering the confluence rapids in Riggins last year the boat went about 110 degree's from verticle untill the pump caught some water and kicked it back upright lol (it was a Provost River Wild hull not an Eagle btw)
I wouldnt consider that a blowover tho as there was a rathr large wave involved too. Lots of pictures of that near flip in ***boat magazine
There is a really good roll video on youtube that shows why we have rollcages and just how fast stuff can go wrong in a whitewater boat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juK5fx2lXvA
Cheers