PDA

View Full Version : Global Warming Lets hope this guy is right!

WetWillie
10-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Gore gets a cold shoulder
Email Printer friendly version Normal font Large font Steve Lytte
October 14, 2007
Climate crusader: Al Gore.
Photo: AP
Advertisement
ONE of the world's foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize "ridiculous" and the product of "people who don't understand how the atmosphere works".
Dr William Gray, a pioneer in the science of seasonal hurricane forecasts, told a packed lecture hall at the University of North Carolina that humans were not responsible for the warming of the earth.
His comments came on the same day that the Nobel committee honoured Mr Gore for his work in support of the link between humans and global warming.
"We're brainwashing our children," said Dr Gray, 78, a long-time professor at Colorado State University. "They're going to the Gore movie [An Inconvenient Truth] and being fed all this. It's ridiculous."
At his first appearance since the award was announced in Oslo, Mr Gore said: "We have to quickly find a way to change the world's consciousness about exactly what we're facing."
Mr Gore shared the Nobel prize with the United Nations climate panel for their work in helping to galvanise international action against global warming.
But Dr Gray, whose annual forecasts of the number of tropical storms and hurricanes are widely publicised, said a natural cycle of ocean water temperatures - related to the amount of salt in ocean water - was responsible for the global warming that he acknowledges has taken place.
However, he said, that same cycle meant a period of cooling would begin soon and last for several years.
"We'll look back on all of this in 10 or 15 years and realise how foolish it was," Dr Gray said.
During his speech to a crowd of about 300 that included meteorology students and a host of professional meteorologists, Dr Gray also said those who had linked global warming to the increased number of hurricanes in recent years were in error.
He cited statistics showing there were 101 hurricanes from 1900 to 1949, in a period of cooler global temperatures, compared to 83 from 1957 to 2006 when the earth warmed.
"The human impact on the atmosphere is simply too small to have a major effect on global temperatures," Dr Gray said.
He said his beliefs had made him an outsider in popular science.
"It bothers me that my fellow scientists are not speaking out against something they know is wrong," he said. "But they also know that they'd never get any grants if they spoke out. I don't care about grants."

BajaMike
10-14-2007, 09:22 PM
Good to see an objective scientist on this highly polical issue....
Aside from Al Gore "inventing the Internet".....I hear is up of a Heisman Trophy next.....:D
But you will notice that Gore and the left are changing the label from "global warming" to "catastrophic climate change". They realized they can't sell (and get donations for) "global warming" during the winter when we are having record snows in some places in the country.
You can propagate the myth of "catastrophic climate change" (caused by man) when any type of unusual wheather occurs....and there is always some sort of "unusual" weather somewhere on the earth.:confused:
It is all one huge multi-billion dollar marketing/fundraising scam....and Al Gore's company is the biggest company selling "green house gas credits".
Read Dr. Michael Crichton's "State of Fear".....it's all laid out in black and white.:idea:
Remember the term "catastrophic climate change"....it's the new buzzword that will be used to take away your SUV, slow down your boat, and suck dollars out of your pockets.....:jawdrop:

RitcheyRch
10-15-2007, 03:55 AM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/environment/gore-gets-a-cold-shoulder/2007/10/13/1191696238792.html

rrrr
10-15-2007, 06:24 AM
Being a good steward of Earth's resources, I am starting a new company to offer carbon offsets. You can participate in the effort to stop global warming, showing your solidarity with Al Gore and his message.
I still have a couple of details to fine tune, but here's how it works:
1.) You send me $20 via PayPal
2.) I'll hold my breath for a minute, therefore preventing the carbon dioxide I would normally exhale from entering the atmosphere
3.) I'll email a Carbon Offset Certificate (suitable for framing) to you, showing you have done your part to reduce global warming

Pepperkornski
10-15-2007, 06:45 AM
Being a good steward of Earth's resources, I am starting a new company to offer carbon offsets. You can participate in the effort to stop global warming, showing your solidarity with Al Gore and his message.
2.) I'll hold my breath for a minute, therefore preventing the carbon dioxide I would normally exhale from entering the atmosphere
3.) I'll email a Carbon Offset Certificate (suitable for framing) to you, showing you have done your part to reduce global warming
I'll take a 100 dollars (5 min.) worth. :D

justfloatn
10-15-2007, 07:05 AM
:D :D :D I'll take a 100 dollars (5 min.) worth. :D

BEER&WATER
10-15-2007, 07:07 AM
theres another buzzword i have heard ( global emergency)

HM
10-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Aside from Al Gore "inventing the Internet".....I hear is up of a Heisman Trophy next.....:D
But you will notice that Gore and the left are changing the label from "global warming" to "catastrophic climate change". They realized they can't sell (and get donations for) "global warming" during the winter when we are having record snows in some places in the country.
You can propagate the myth of "catastrophic climate change" (caused by man) when any type of unusual wheather occurs....and there is always some sort of "unusual" weather somewhere on the earth.:confused:
It is all one huge multi-billion dollar marketing/fundraising scam....and Al Gore's company is the biggest company selling "green house gas credits".
Read Dr. Michael Crichton's "State of Fear".....it's all laid out in black and white.:idea:
Remember the term "catastrophic climate change"....it's the new buzzword that will be used to take away your SUV, slow down your boat, and suck dollars out of your pockets.....:jawdrop:
I really don't know how anyone(other than the people profiting from it) supports the global warming crowd, soon to be catastrophic climate change crowd? These people have been wrong on every issue for decades now. They really depend on people being ignorant, uneducated, and with the attention span of a gnat's dick....and who is in charge of the educational system? Must be a coinkydink?
Al Gore has really set this up to explode in his face with claiming the earth's water will rise by 25 feet if we don't cut CO2 by 80%. How will he explain that the world shifted into a cooling cycle while CO2 increased? Answer: Catastrophic Climate Change, formerly known as Global Warming - as BajaDoug has said, will be used to explain not only unusual weather, but will also explain usual weather.

HM
10-15-2007, 07:13 AM
After the fart I just let out....I am in need of some methane credits (and a match). :D

Sleeper CP
10-15-2007, 07:20 AM
I really don't know how anyone(other than the people profiting from it) supports the global warming crowd, soon to be catastrophic climate change crowd? These people have been wrong on every issue for decades now. They really depend on people being ignorant, uneducated, and with the attention span of a gnat's dick....and who is in charge of the educational system? Must be a coinkydink?
Al Gore has really set this up to explode in his face with claiming the earth's water will rise by 25 feet if we don't cut CO2 by 80%. How will he explain that the world shifted into a cooling cycle while CO2 increased? Answer: Catastrophic Climate Change, formerly known as Global Warming - as BajaDoug has said, will be used to explain not only unusual weather, but will also explain usual weather.
Yeah, what he said:D
I think is was 1981 when these same wacko's were talking about the next Ice Age. They can't tell us what the weather will do tomorrow, but they think they can tell us what the climate will do in 10 years:rolleyes:
As most of us here know, it's all about control and bigger government.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

ULTRA26 # 1
10-15-2007, 07:28 AM
Yeah, what he said:D
I think is was 1981 when these same wacko's were talking about the next Ice Age. They can't tell us what the weather will do tomorrow, but they think they can tell us what the climate will do in 10 years:rolleyes:
As most of us here know, it's all about control and bigger government.
It would be nice if it were that simple. If the climate change issue was only to do with control and bigger govt, then please tell us why most of he worlds leaders are invloved. Have you watched Gore's movie? I have found that most people, at least on HB, who claims Gore's movie to be BS, haven't taken the time to watch it.

maxwedge
10-15-2007, 07:47 AM
It would be nice if it were that simple. If the climate change issue was only to do with control and bigger govt, then please tell us why most of he worlds leaders are invloved. Have you watched Gore's movie? I have found that most people, at least on HB, who claims Gore's movie to be BS, haven't taken the time to watch it.
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone calling themselves "Word Leaders" would want anything to do with Controlling people and Government. What is it that a govenment does again? Don't they make the rules telling the people what they can and can't do or somthing like that.:D

HM
10-15-2007, 07:52 AM
I am also amazed that anyone who buys into this crap still owns a boat, especially a high performance boat. I guess it doesn't apply to you? Seems like that whole crowd wants EVERYONE ELSE to make changes. Oh...wait...you are a self proclaimed liberal...makes sense now. Proceed. :D

ULTRA26 # 1
10-15-2007, 07:56 AM
I am also amazed that anyone who buys into this crap still owns a boat, especially a high performance boat. I guess it doesn't apply to you? Seems like that whole crowd wants EVERYONE ELSE to make changes. Oh...wait...you are a self proclaimed liberal...makes sense now. Proceed. :D
Self proclaimed Liberal, there is your first misstatement.
I have made changes but I haven't given up the boat, or boating. Everyone can deal with this issue as they chose. I'm not preaching to you guys to quit boating, or to sell your SUV's. Anything that anyone does to reduce emmisions will help, climate change or not.
Have you watched Gore's movie?
I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone calling themselves "Word Leaders" would want anything to do with Controlling people and Government. What is it that a govenment does again? Don't they make the rules telling the people what they can and can't do or somthing like that.:D
What is the purpose of world leaders supporting a hoax? Don't you think that this would backfire? Why as Bush accepted that there may be some reality to this issue? Reducing the amont of sh*t that the world pumps into the air is a winner, regardless of the climate change issue.
Have you seen Gore's movie?

Big Warlock
10-15-2007, 08:04 AM
Wouldn't the solution be to plant more vegetation to consume the CO2??
And don't worry about Gore. He is flying around is his antiquated (sp?) G-!! aircraft, polluting the crap out of the atmosphere in his quest to tell the rest of us not to do it!!! :eek:
And besides inventing the internet, the movie "Love Story" was about him and Tipper. Jeeesh, you guys need to stay up with the times.
PS Gore is a Focking Wack Job!!! :)
Maybe Jimmy Carter can come help him out with economic policies??? :D

maxwedge
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
What is the purpose of world leaders supporting a hoax? Don't you think that this would backfire? Why as Bush accepted that there may be some reality to this issue? Reducing the amont of sh*t that the world pumps into the air is a winner, regardless of the climate change issue.
Have you seen Gore's movie?
Yep I saw the movie. It scared the hell out of me, so I did a little reasearch on my own. Turns out there is very heated debate among scientists on this issue, not almost total agreement as Gore would have us believe. Turns out a lot of the facts presented in the movie as facts are either very skewed fact, complete speculation or in some cases just complete BS. I do agree that the climate is probably warming up. I agree that reducing the amount of shit in the air is probably a good thing. I also believe that calling Carbon dioxide a pollutant is completely absurd, it's a product of the warming, not the cause of it. I could go on for hours, but I won't. Just what I believe. Do your own reasearch on the subject. Come to your own conclusion. But don't just accept that movie as fact. It was made by a politician for god's sake. Also don't assume I'm a replublican either. I voted for Gore. I actually agree with him on a lot of issues, but I just think he happens to be wrong about this.

MODVP22
10-15-2007, 08:18 AM
This guy is right, it's just not popular among the government agendas and tree-hugging celeb's trying to boost their dying careers (sorry about your luck Chreryl Crow:mad: )

Dave C
10-15-2007, 08:30 AM
agreed.
If someone does some research they would find there is far from consensus among scientists. Also the opinions of one side of the debate are the ones published in the media.
I have come the conclusion that they are 100% certain that they have no idea what the hell is going on.....:) :)
Yep I saw the movie. It scared the hell out of me, so I did a little reasearch on my own. Turns out there is very heated debate among scientists on this issue, not almost total agreement as Gore would have us believe. Turns out a lot of the facts presented in the movie as facts are either very skewed fact, complete speculation or in some cases just complete BS. I do agree that the climate is probably warming up. I agree that reducing the amount of shit in the air is probably a good thing. I also believe that calling Carbon dioxide a pollutant is completely absurd, it's a product of the warming, not the cause of it. I could go on for hours, but I won't. Just what I believe. Do your own reasearch on the subject. Come to your own conclusion. But don't just accept that movie as fact. It was made by a politician for god's sake. Also don't assume I'm a replublican either. I voted for Gore. I actually agree with him on a lot of issues, but I just think he happens to be wrong about this.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-15-2007, 08:39 AM
I too have looked at both sides of this issue and am not convinced by either side. I appreciate those have looked into both sides of the issue. Most here who call Gore's movie full of shit haven't even taken the time to see it for themselves. For me the jury is still out.
Thanks for the honest response.

rrrr
10-15-2007, 09:41 AM
After the fart I just let out....I am in need of some methane credits (and a match). :D
Considering that you emit more methane than a herd of well-fed cows, I'd say an open flame anywhere near you is inviting disaster. :rolleyes:
:D :D

Sleeper CP
10-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Do I really need to tell you the answer to this? I only wish you were kidding :(
And no I haven't seen his propaganda flick and I don't plan to. And I can say it is a bunch of shit just like the judge did in England two weeks ago when he ruled that any school that shows the movie must run a disclaimer stating that there are 9 (nine) false statements made in the movie about climate change and list the inaccurate statements made in the movie.
If you don't think this is a crock of $hit driven by universities that are searching for research dollars and politicians that want to restrict choice, you my friend are not paying attention to what is happening.
I'll try post a couple of interesting links if I can .
Lastly, there are more scientists that disagree than agree with Gore and there are a few that are angry at Gore for using their names and mis-quoting them for his "agenda"
See bump on "Global Warming Fraud"
Sleeper CP
Big Inch "Gas Burning" Ford Lover

Quest4Fun
10-15-2007, 10:20 AM
I have not seen Al Gore's movie, but I was watching Fox News the other morning and the reporter said that under the Polar Ice Caps, which are melting supposedly due to Global Warming, was an un-tapped supply of OIL. The Russians are claiming that it belongs to them and the U.S. is saying it should belong to us. This was the first I have heard of oil in that region. :jawdrop:

ULTRA26 # 1
10-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Do I really need to tell you the answer to this? I only wish you were kidding :(
And no I haven't seen his propaganda flick and I don't plan to. And I can say it is a bunch of shit just like the judge did in England two weeks ago when he ruled that any school that shows the movie must run a disclaimer stating that there are 9 (nine) false statements made in the movie about climate change and list the inaccurate statements made in the movie.
If you don't think this is a crock of $hit driven by universities that are searching for research dollars and politicians that want to restrict choice, you my friend are not paying attention to what is happening.
I'll try post a couple of interesting links if I can .
Lastly, there are more scientists that disagree than agree with Gore and there are a few that are angry at Gore for using their names and mis-quoting them for his "agenda"
See bump on "Global Warming Fraud"
Sleeper CP
Big Inch "Gas Burning" Ford Lover
Apparantly you haven't read what the judge in the UK stated about the movie. He stated that for the most part, Gore's movie was accurate, funny you don't mention that part.
I've seen the plenty of data on both sides of this issue. As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out. There is a 2 hour video that opposses Gore's position that is very good.

AzMandella
10-15-2007, 11:18 AM
I find it funny that gore and a lot of the scientist that support the "Gore Movie" refuse to take the Midevil Warming period and the following Micro Ice Age into account with their reasoning.There is no doubt that during these periods the climate was much warmer than now.And coller than any time in the last 200+ yrs. And are direct evidence that the earth has gone through the same if not worse climate shifts without any help from man. .When these periods are brought up they refuse to talk about it.I also find it funny that some of the scientists that Gore used their names are sueing to have their names removed from his movie.

Sleeper CP
10-15-2007, 11:25 AM
Apparantly you haven't read what the judge in the UK stated about the movie. He stated that for the most part, Gore's movie was accurate, funny you don't mention that part.
I'll try to find it before the day is over, thanks.
Gore's movie is about as accurate as a Micheal Moore movie. :( :mad: Which is based off of a preconceived notion. If you don't think it's propaganda there is nothing that I can do for you.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

ULTRA26 # 1
10-15-2007, 12:41 PM
I'll try to find it before the day is over, thanks.
Gore's movie is about as accurate as a Micheal Moore movie. :( :mad: Which is based off of a preconceived notion. If you don't think it's propaganda there is nothing that I can do for you.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
Don't waste your time. I have reviewed good material on both sides of the issue, and I'm not convinced either way. It's amazes me how much you guys know about science and climatology. Making comments like "Gore's movie is about as accurate as a Micheal Moore movie" when you haven't taken the time to watch it, doesn't give your comment much credibilty.
View Gore as you will, that's not as issue. Basing your opinion of Gore's movie based on reviews, doesn't impress me as a thought out and well informed opinion. Oh well.

SB
10-15-2007, 12:41 PM
then please tell us why most of he worlds leaders are invloved. Have you watched Gore's movie? I have found that most people, at least on HB, who claims Gore's movie to be BS, haven't taken the time to watch it.
Yes, I've watched that POS.
The world's leaders are interested in taking cash from the US. There is not one country that follows Kyoto or will follow it. Russia only pretended interest while there was a chance they could hold us up for cash,

ULTRA26 # 1
10-15-2007, 12:46 PM
Yes, I've watched that POS.
The world's leaders are interested in taking cash from the US. There is not one country that follows Kyoto or will follow it. Russia only pretended interest while there was a chance they could hold us up for cash,
Please tell us less informed people how world leaders plan to take cash from the US, with regard to the climate change issue.

Sleeper CP
10-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Don't waste your time. I have reviewed good material on both sides of the issue, and I'm not convinced either way. It's amazes me how much you guys know about science and climatology. Making comments like "Gore's movie is about as accurate as a Micheal Moore movie" when you haven't taken the time to watch it, doesn't give your comment much credibilty.
Are you telling me that Gore's movie isn't propaganda? Are you telling me Micheal Moore's movie's are documentaries.. News flash.. They are docudramas if anything. He has already determined the outcome before he even starts to make the movie. As did Al Gore. Do I need to stick my hand into boiling water to know that it will hurt? Same goes for Al Gores POS movie, I can see who in th US likes it and who around the world likes it to make a fairly accurate assessment. BTW the people who seem to like it are the same hypocrites that talk about global warming and fly around the world in private jets. Or as in Gores place fly around in private jets and live in a house that uses 10 times the energy of the average house in his state.:idea: And he is going to preach to us about global warming........(I think not):mad:
As far as milking money out of the US goes as SB stated the Kyoto treaty was to do just that. Restrict the US manufacturing by reducing CO2 numbers to a level of 20 years before while China,India,Mexico and others get a free pass to catch up to the US economically. And if the US didn't abide by it we would have to pay more money into the UN or some other leftest world group.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

rrrr
10-15-2007, 02:04 PM
View Gore as you will, that's not as issue. Basing your opinion of Gore's movie based on reviews, doesn't impress me as a thought out and well informed opinion. Oh well.
Just curious, what qualifications do you have that allow you to determine the movie is accurate and factual?

ULTRA26 # 1
10-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Are you telling me that Gore's movie isn't propaganda? Are you telling me Micheal Moore's movie's are documentaries.. News flash.. They are docudramas if anything. He has already determined the outcome before he even starts to make the movie. As did Al Gore. Do I need to stick my hand into boiling water to know that it will hurt? Same goes for Al Gores POS movie, I can see who in th US likes it and who around the world likes it to make a fairly accurate assessment. BTW the people who seem to like it are the same hypocrites that talk about global warming and fly around the world in private jets. Or as in Gores place fly around in private jets and live in a house that uses 10 times the energy of the average house in his state.:idea: And he is going to preach to us about global warming........(I think not):mad:
As far as milking money out of the US goes as SB stated the Kyoto treaty was to do just that. Restrict the US manufacturing by reducing CO2 numbers to a level of 20 years before while China,India,Mexico and others get a free pass to catch up to the US economically. And if the US didn't abide by it we would have to pay more money into the UN or some other leftest world group.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
Suggesting that you know that Gore's movie is on the same level with the movies done by Michael Moore, without seeing Gore's movie, about sums it up. Opinion by the review of others??
Understand that I'm not trying to tell you what is or what isn't, as I'm not qualified. There is too much attention being given to this issue for me to blow it off as lightly as you appear to be.
Just curious, what qualifications do you have that allow you to determine the movie is accurate and factual?
I have no qualifications in this regard. I haven't claimed that the movie is or isn't acurate or factual.

Sleeper CP
10-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Understand that I'm not trying to tell you what is or what isn't, as I'm not qualified. There is too much attention being given to this issue for me to blow it off as lightly as you appear to be.
As did the head of NASA, until all the scientist that will benefit from the funding jump down his throat. In a vary candid interview here are the two quotes that jumped out at me:
Quote from NASA administrator Michael Griffin May 2007, " I have no doubt that a trend of global warming exists, I am not sure that it is fair to say that it is a problem we must wrestle with" and he made this statement that really pissed off a lot of other scientists:
" To assume that it is a problem is to assume that the state of the Earth's climate today is the optimal climate, the best climate that we could have or ever have had and that we need to take steps to make sure that it doesn't change. I guess I would like to ask which human beings ,where and when are to be accorded the privilege of deciding that this particular climate that we have right here today, right now is the best climate for all other human beings. I think that's a rather arrogant position for people to take." Quote from Michael Griffin.
I think this man has a set of ball$. He then took a bunch of $hit from a bunch of narrow minded,self interested people that want to chase dollars from the government. If you look at his statement one could consider it a "statement against interest" and it is. He is not going to promote the BS.
As an aside keep this in mind , more people die each year from cold than by heat. If it warms up a few degree's wouldn't that be a good thing:confused:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

ULTRA26 # 1
10-15-2007, 05:06 PM
As did the head of NASA, until all the scientist that will benefit from the funding jump down his throat. In a vary candid interview here are the two quotes that jumped out at me:
Quote from NASA administrator Michael Griffin May 2007, " I have no doubt that a trend of global warming exists, I am not sure that it is fair to say that it is a problem we must wrestle with" and he made this statement that really pissed off a lot of other scientists:
" To assume that it is a problem is to assume that the state of the Earth's climate today is the optimal climate, the best climate that we could have or ever have had and that we need to take steps to make sure that it doesn't change. I guess I would like to ask which human beings ,where and when are to be accorded the privilege of deciding that this particular climate that we have right here today, right now is the best climate for all other human beings. I think that's a rather arrogant position for people to take." Quote from Michael Griffin.
I think this man has a set of ball$. He then took a bunch of $hit from a bunch of narrow minded,self interested people that want to chase dollars from the government. If you look at his statement one could consider it a "statement against interest" and it is. He is not going to promote the BS.
As an aside keep this in mind , more people die each year from cold than by heat. If it warms up a few degree's wouldn't that be a good thing:confused:
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
Interesting that you brought this up. It's been said that in colder parts of the world, the expected warmer climate will greatly reduce the annual deaths that result from cold. At the same time the deaths from heat will not increase at a parallel number. Not all of the affects will be negative.
I believe that there is a great deal about this issue that remains unknown. Being one who was born and raised in Los Angeles, I have watched the skies filled with shit for nearly 50 years. For this reason, I don't view the concept that all of this pollution could affect the climate, as being impossible.

Sleeper CP
10-15-2007, 08:06 PM
I believe that there is a great deal about this issue that remains unknown. Being one who was born and raised in Los Angeles, I have watched the skies filled with shit for nearly 50 years. For this reason, I don't view the concept that all of this pollution could affect the climate, as being impossible.
Neither do I, but at what degree or percent of the increase is because of us. The earth has been heating and cooling for millions of years before "we" invented the internal combustion engine. A lot of that heating could be caused the the sun's activity(sun spots). Point being it is not all us.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

BajaMike
10-15-2007, 08:22 PM
As I mentioned, if you are interested in the subject, read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear".
Yes, this is a fictional "action novel", and it is fun to read, but its footnotes, and its 49 pages of "Authors Message", appendix, and bibliography are all examples of Crichton's well known reasearch on the topic he writes about.
From his "Authors Notes":
1. We know astonishingly little about every aspect of the environmnent, from it's past history, to its present state, to how to conserve and protect it. In every debate, all sides overstate the extent of existing knowledge and it's degree of certainty.
2. We are also in the midst of a natural warming trend that began about 1850, as we emerged from a four-hundred-year cold spell known at the "Little Ice Age"
3. Nobody knows how much the present warming trend might be a natural phenomenon.
4. Nobody knows how much of the present warming trend might be man made.
5. Nobody knows how much warming will occur in the next century........
:idea:
Good reading, no matter what your politics is.....
:D

SB
10-16-2007, 01:06 PM
Please tell us less informed people how world leaders plan to take cash from the US, with regard to the climate change issue.
The developing countries are exempt from Kyoto protocols, even China with the world's 4th largest economy is exempt. They know the US is the only country (if we signed) that might follow the rules. Which would mean we have to pay $ to them for carbon offsets. Completely ridiculous.
BTW, Hilary might be our next President. There is not a snowball's chance (:D)
she will pass Kyoto.

Sanger D
10-16-2007, 01:40 PM
not to mention the fact that this country has been up for sale for the last 20+ YEARS. 65% OF OUR FRUITS AND VEGGIES ARE IMPORTED AND MOST OF WHAT WE grow is being exported!!!go figure, we own less of this counrties ports then forgneirs. We are headed for great change alright but the climate one is the least of our worries!!!!:rolleyes: better buy all the guns while you still have a right to and pay off all you can cause the man is commin and he speaks a diff. language than you!!!!!! If you think a fight cant come here you deff. have your head somewhere than on your shoulders. I can't wait to see this country in 5 t0 10 years, it will be intresting to say the least!!!!

ULTRA26 # 1
10-16-2007, 02:59 PM
Neither do I, but at what degree or percent of the increase is because of us. The earth has been heating and cooling for millions of years before "we" invented the internal combustion engine. A lot of that heating could be caused the the sun's activity(sun spots). Point being it is not all us.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
Maybe we just don't agree on the probabilities. There is little doubt that at least part of what we are experiancing is a natural warming trend. Not sure how many more years I will be able, but as long as I am, I'm going to be boating.
As I mentioned, if you are interested in the subject, read Michael Crichton's "State of Fear".
Yes, this is a fictional "action novel", and it is fun to read, but its footnotes, and its 49 pages of "Authors Message", appendix, and bibliography are all examples of Crichton's well known reasearch on the topic he writes about.
From his "Authors Notes":
1. We know astonishingly little about every aspect of the environmnent, from it's past history, to its present state, to how to conserve and protect it. In every debate, all sides overstate the extent of existing knowledge and it's degree of certainty.
2. We are also in the midst of a natural warming trend that began about 1850, as we emerged from a four-hundred-year cold spell known at the "Little Ice Age"
3. Nobody knows how much the present warming trend might be a natural phenomenon.
4. Nobody knows how much of the present warming trend might be man made.
5. Nobody knows how much warming will occur in the next century........
:idea:
Good reading, no matter what your politics is.....
:D
Sounds like good reading. Thanks

SmokinLowriderSS
10-16-2007, 06:47 PM
Making comments like "Gore's movie is about as accurate as a Micheal Moore movie" .
Actually quite untrue.
Mikey Moore's crap actually have far FEWER out and out lies in them, and much MORE "creative editing" to make it look like people actually said things they never actually said, at least not at the same time.
Give MM video of 3 or 4 speeches and he can get anyone to "say" anything by cut/paste. The problem is it never matches the transcripts.
Gore just lies, and refuses to debate the lies, just as his supporters refuse to do.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-16-2007, 06:50 PM
Being one who was born and raised in Los Angeles, I have watched the skies filled with shit for nearly 50 years. For this reason, I don't view the concept that all of this pollution could affect the climate, as being impossible.
Again, your complete inability to separate polution from MAN-MADE global warming. :idea:
Can't get traction on one, try the other. :idea:

SmokinLowriderSS
10-16-2007, 06:57 PM
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
Just for argument usage, I did the calculations, months ago.
The USA, contributes aproximately 0.0027% of the world's carbon emissions, TOTAL.
Shut the entire US down tomorow, for a year, and the worldwide carbon emissions to the atmosphere drops 0.0027%.
That happens to be, on a trip from LosAngeles to N.Y.City, 35 feet.
Reducing them a small ammount like 10% WILL DO WHAT?
0.00027% improvement will "fix" the world?
Reducing them to zero WILL DO WHAT???????
0.0027% will "cure" the "problem"????????

SB
10-17-2007, 09:13 AM
The USA, contributes aproximately 0.0027% of the world's carbon emissions, TOTAL.
Shut the entire US down tomorow, for a year, and the worldwide carbon emissions to the atmosphere drops 0.0027%.
Sounds wrong to me. I thought the US produced about 25% of emissions. Though our GDP is growing faster than our emissions. And we have reduced methane and NO2 emissions. Methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2.
And most methane emissions are naturally occurring.
And if the planet warms, people will burn less oil in the winter.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Good Take Mike.

Sleeper CP
10-17-2007, 02:32 PM
Finally got around to looking for th info on the legal case, here are the inaccuracies that the judge found in Gore's movie:
Court Identified Eleven inaccuracies in Gore’s Movie
How marvelous. And what are those inaccuracies?
· The film claims that melting snows on Mount Kilimanjaro evidence global warming. The Government's expert was forced to concede that this is not correct.
· The film suggests that evidence from ice cores proves that rising CO2 causes temperature increases over 650,000 years. The Court found that the film was misleading: over that period the rises in CO2 lagged behind the temperature rises by 800-2000 years.
· The film uses emotive images of Hurricane Katrina and suggests that this has been caused by global warming. The Government's expert had to accept that it was "not possible" to attribute one-off events to global warming.
· The film shows the drying up of Lake Chad and claims that this was caused by global warming. The Government's expert had to accept that this was not the case.
· The film claims that a study showed that polar bears had drowned due to disappearing arctic ice. It turned out that Mr. Gore had misread the study: in fact four polar bears drowned and this was because of a particularly violent storm.
· The film threatens that global warming could stop the Gulf Stream throwing Europe into an ice age: the Claimant's evidence was that this was a scientific impossibility.
· The film blames global warming for species losses including coral reef bleaching. The Government could not find any evidence to support this claim.
· The film suggests that the Greenland ice covering could melt causing sea levels to rise dangerously. The evidence is that Greenland will not melt for millennia.
· The film suggests that the Antarctic ice covering is melting, the evidence was that it is in fact increasing.
· The film suggests that sea levels could rise by 7m causing the displacement of millions of people. In fact the evidence is that sea levels are expected to rise by about 40cm over the next hundred years and that there is no such threat of massive migration.
· The film claims that rising sea levels has caused the evacuation of certain Pacific islands to New Zealand. The Government are unable to substantiate this and the Court observed that this appears to be a false claim.
Now I thought before that it was a POS propaganda flick, Now I know it is.
I'm not sure if I were you that I would quote from this source. Just my .02
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

jimslade
10-17-2007, 03:25 PM
I have not seen Al Gore's movie, but I was watching Fox News the other morning and the reporter said that under the Polar Ice Caps, which are melting supposedly due to Global Warming, was an un-tapped supply of OIL. The Russians are claiming that it belongs to them and the U.S. is saying it should belong to us. This was the first I have heard of oil in that region. :jawdrop:
Sorry the oil belongs to us
Canadians. Our continental shelf runs to the north pole. I would be concerned about Jimmy Carters peanuts. I read somewhere that peanuts fart.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-17-2007, 05:38 PM
You have posted this many times. How about you post your calculations. Seems your conclusion is extremely low.
__________________________________________________ _____________
CP, where did you find your information. Please post the link. Thanls