PDA

View Full Version : Almost accident at the sand bar??

sigepmock
10-15-2007, 11:17 AM
We decided to take the hooptie pontoon out this Saturday and as we were coming down river just past the Sand Bar at the big bend we saw the closest thing to an accident I've ever seen. :eek: :confused:
A PWC was headed down river and cut in front of a Cat that was coming up river...they did a short round of this way and that way and then both ended up spinning out right in front of each other in a giant ball of whitewater.....craziest thing I've ever seen. How they didn't hit each other I don't know and the how the Cat stopped that fast was amazing. Looked like everyone was ok other than a little shook-up and wet. The PWC rider stayed around and took his lashings.....he was way in wrong.....started out on the right side of us and cut in front of us and in front of the cat as it took the corner wide to miss the little sand bar that sticks out right at the turn just like everybody else. Not sure what PWC rider was thinking but he just about got killed.
Anyway it shook all of us up and we were really happy no-one was seriously hurt. Curious if it was anybody from here?
Chris

AirtimeLavey
10-15-2007, 11:21 AM
:idea: Sounds like a couple people got lucky after being stupid. I gotta learn that safety spin thing....Can it be done with a "V" hull? :D

2Driver
10-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Crazy stuff. It's kind of like that grocery store aisle dance you get into sometimes with people :D
I guess what some don't realize is you must move to the right and do so with intent so the oncoming driver understands your direction.

thumbs
10-15-2007, 11:45 AM
move to the right and do so with intent so the oncoming driver understands your direction.
Exactly. Does anyone ever think about pulling back on the throttle and showng the on comming boat your port side?

Biglue
10-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Exactly. Does anyone ever think about pulling back on the throttle and showng the on comming boat your port side?
I do that everytime I find myself going up against another boat who's not very clear in which way they're going to go. Although it would be pretty hard to do that on the river.

ADDICTED
10-15-2007, 11:56 AM
It was very close. :mad:
Going up river stay to the right. Going down river stay to the right. Is there somewhere in the US where we drive on the left side?

Benjhamina
10-15-2007, 12:12 PM
I think I know the guy on the PWC. We were staying at moabi and he came with a friend of a friend. We were at the sandbar and he borrowed his buddys sea doo and when he came back he told me that he almost got hit. His story was that there were three boats coming up river at him and he wasn't sure where to go so he tried to dart inbetween two of them and wound up having to spin out to avoid the collision. He said that the lady in the other boat that had to spin out looked like she hurt her hand and was yelling at him. He felt bad but I think he was more emberrased than scared. It was only his second time ever driving one and the first time he was driving it alone. He came back and asked me what he should have done and I said he should have stayed all the way to the right but I think he just got nervious and frose. After he told me the other boat had to spin out also I realized how serious it was. He was a nice guy but just knowing there are drivers like that on the water worry me everytime I go out.
Keep your head on a swivel and be safe out there......

boatnam2
10-15-2007, 12:14 PM
EXACTLY i seen it so many times just let ofF the ****KKKing throttle swallow your pride let the jet ski pass and go on your merry way. Im not sure what it is there in hurry, hard to get on plane and dont want to slow down,or they have to make a pass to show off and are getting up to speed crazy how friggin stupid some boaters are you already know the seadoo are dumbasses.

Captain Dan
10-15-2007, 12:31 PM
It was very close. :mad:
Going up river stay to the right. Going down river stay to the right. Is there somewhere in the US where we drive on the left side?
Yes, on the freeway, now matter how fast they are going.

Kilrtoy
10-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Does the guy on the sea doo own a green aftershock deckboat???????

WYRD
10-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Yes, on the freeway, now matter how fast they are going.
uhhhh, remind me NOT to get on the freeway you happen to be driving on:confused: :confused:

Benjhamina
10-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Does the guy on the sea doo own a green aftershock deckboat???????
No but he did say he had such a good time he was going to buy one of those yamaha jet boats so watch out next year.....I told hom to take a boating class

ClownRoyal
10-15-2007, 01:06 PM
The boat was the 26 Eliminator 'Sea Tow' owned by Hot Boat Mag test driver Russ. Not a happy camper as he blew his outdrive in the 'near' accident. Wife broke her hand.

sigepmock
10-15-2007, 01:08 PM
I think I know the guy on the PWC. We were staying at moabi and he came with a friend of a friend. We were at the sandbar and he borrowed his buddys sea doo and when he came back he told me that he almost got hit. His story was that there were three boats coming up river at him and he wasn't sure where to go so he tried to dart inbetween two of them and wound up having to spin out to avoid the collision. He said that the lady in the other boat that had to spin out looked like she hurt her hand and was yelling at him. He felt bad but I think he was more emberrased than scared. It was only his second time ever driving one and the first time he was driving it alone. He came back and asked me what he should have done and I said he should have stayed all the way to the right but I think he just got nervious and frose. After he told me the other boat had to spin out also I realized how serious it was. He was a nice guy but just knowing there are drivers like that on the water worry me everytime I go out.
Keep your head on a swivel and be safe out there......
Yep that sounds like him. I think he got nervous when he saw the boats coming up river and coming around that turn....they have to stay towards the middle of the river to clear the sand bar that sticks out.....I don't think he realized what they were doing so he started to cut from the right (topoc) side of the river over to the Havasu side then when the boats made the turn towards the right he realized he was on the wrong side of the road. He spun hard and so did the cat. I don't think there was anything the driver of the cat could have done differently.....he was alreardy half way through the turn towards the big sandbar when the ski cut across.....he couldn't chop the throttles safely so he started to slow down and turned harder to the right...the guy on the ski panicked and went back and forth a couple of times before spinning out right in the middle of the river......only thing the cat could do was spin her out....better or luckier driving than I think I could have done. Like I said the guy on the ski went over to make sure everyone was alright and got his ass chewed out I'm sure. We stopped and asked if everyone was alright and they waived us on.
When I see traffic at that same turn I just come off plane and idle around that curve......just too busy and narrow right there.

sigepmock
10-15-2007, 01:09 PM
The boat was the 26 Eliminator 'Sea Tow' owned by Hot Boat Mag test driver Russ. Not a happy camper as he blew his outdrive in the 'near' accident. Wife broke her hand.
Oh crap....we stopped and asked if everyone was ok and they waived us on. Let me know who to contact with our info as witnesses.
Chris

AZJD
10-15-2007, 01:11 PM
That sucks.....:(

Captain Dan
10-15-2007, 01:12 PM
uhhhh, remind me NOT to get on the freeway you happen to be driving on:confused: :confused:
don't be confused - the operative word here is "they", which could be you, actually

Havasu Hangin'
10-15-2007, 01:12 PM
Was there a "Sea Tow" American Offshore with a blown drive, too?

ADDICTED
10-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Crazy, the whole time I thought you guys were talking about us as this same thing happend to us in the same spot. Excatly the same incident except there were more sea doos. When all set and done we were facing the oposite direction and soaking wet.

WYRD
10-15-2007, 01:18 PM
don't be confused - the operative word here is "they", which could be you, actually
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Havasu Hangin'
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
...we were facing the oposite direction and soaking wet.
Were you trying to put a fire out?
:jawdrop:

sigepmock
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Crazy, the whole time I thought you guys were talking about us as this same thing happend to us in the same spot. Excatly the same incident except there were more sea doos. When all set and done we were facing the oposite direction and soaking wet.
The one we saw was around 2:00PM or so on Saturday afternoon. I want to say it was a 25 or 26 foot Cat....Eliminator. I should have paid more attention to the boat colors but I was more worried about the passengers.....I do know the passengers were getting out their camera to take pics of the guy on the Sea Doo. Looked like four adults, two couples, one younger and one older.
Chris

Benjhamina
10-15-2007, 01:25 PM
That sucks to hear. Thank God Russ is a good driver or that could have been allot worse.

Schiada76
10-15-2007, 01:36 PM
That sucks to hear. Thank God Russ is a good driver or that could have been allot worse.
I see a subpoena in your future.:D

Cole Trickle
10-15-2007, 01:40 PM
Scary....Glad to hear Russ and crew made it threw the ordeal with no major injuries:)

ClownRoyal
10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Was there a "Sea Tow" American Offshore with a blown drive, too?
Yes but totally unrelated to this.

derek
10-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Just to straiten it all out, the boat is a 26" Eliminator Daytona, which didn't break a drive, it actually blew the motor on way back down the river, a little later that day. The lady that broke her hand was just a friend, not his wife. The Sea Tow, American Offshore, blew a drive in the poker run, near Copper Canyon. Hope this is all more clear now!

TheCarDudes
10-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Oh crap....we stopped and asked if everyone was ok and they waived us on. Let me know who to contact with our info as witnesses.
Chris
Russ was the driver.
Sea Tow Lake Havasu
Capt. Russ & Debbi Nyland
Phone: 928.727.6945

sigepmock
10-16-2007, 05:47 AM
Russ was the driver.
Sea Tow Lake Havasu
Capt. Russ & Debbi Nyland
Phone: 928.727.6945
Thanks. I talked with him yesterday and gave him my info. Cool guy. He also confirmed what was said above. Couple of broken fingers and pretty shakin up but he said that's better than a dead jet skier....pretty lucky all around could have been worse. Hopefully the jet skier and the owner of the ski he was on will be stand-up guys and do what's right.
Chris