PDA

View Full Version : Registering/Title a bike at Havasu DMV..?

al cole'holic
10-15-2007, 11:36 AM
..anybody have experience? I am going to be in Havasu Thursday and thought it may be a good time to title and register a chopper. California is the worst state to title a bike in with EPA etc. Is this going to be possible? I don't know how it is in Az but I thought it may be worth a shot..

Boatcop
10-15-2007, 11:40 AM
Pretty painless experience.
All they really do is make sure the numbers on the bike match the numbers on the documents, and that lights, horn, etc. all work.
But be prepared to never take it into California. If you are a resident of Ca and are driving any vehicle you own in Ca, they require it to be registered there. If you're caught, they can impound the bike, fines up to $2,500.00, and past registration fees, interest and penalties.

al cole'holic
10-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Pretty painless experience.
All they really do is make sure the numbers on the bike match the numbers on the documents, and that lights, horn, etc. all work.
But be prepared to never take it into California. If you are a resident of Ca and are driving any vehicle you own in Ca, they require it to be registered there. If you're caught, they can impound the bike, fines up to $2,500.00, and past registration fees, interest and penalties.
I've had experience with trailers that have Ca reg and Az numbers on the boat but never heard it pertaining to bikes. I do ride bikes with Colorado reg in Ca all day long but I don't plan on making the 12 hour trip anytime soon. Also this bike has no blinkers, horn, smog tag...only a speedo...?

al cole'holic
10-15-2007, 11:50 AM
...I also have only 1 MSO which is for the bike as a whole we generate that supercedes any and all other MSO's as we are the manufacturer..any insight Alan is appreciated! I don't want to take the time to bring the bike out if it's gonna be for nothing..

al cole'holic
10-15-2007, 01:09 PM
I just got off the phone with the Az DMV and they just told me all I had to do was bring in my MSO and I will receive a plate and registration on the spot...wtf?? I asked 3 times, "are you sure I do not have to bring the bike in for inspections?" and I was told NO, because the bike and MSO is coming from a manufacturer there is no inspection required. Ok wtf...??

Boatcop
10-15-2007, 04:19 PM
I just got off the phone with the Az DMV and they just told me all I had to do was bring in my MSO and I will receive a plate and registration on the spot...wtf?? I asked 3 times, "are you sure I do not have to bring the bike in for inspections?" and I was told NO, because the bike and MSO is coming from a manufacturer there is no inspection required. Ok wtf...??
That sounds about right. But, as to my earlier statement, here's California Law:
VC-8804. Every person who, while a resident, as defined in Section
516, of this state, with respect to any vehicle owned by him and
operated in this state, registers or renews the registration for the
vehicle in a foreign jurisdiction, without the payment of appropriate
fees and taxes to this state, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
While you may have operated a bike with CO registration, you've just been lucky you haven't been caught yet.
If you ARE caught, get ready for an expensive experience.

TheCarDudes
10-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Took the golf cart to the AZ DMV after making sure it was street legal. They didn't even need to see it for an inspection because it was on an MSO from EZ-GO. I think you'll be OK.
Seriously, WTF? This is a major loophole.

al cole'holic
10-15-2007, 06:35 PM
...thanks Alan...at this point it's really a small hurdle until I can reg it as used here in Ca, and then it will be a transfer down the road..I've had a good share of being yanked over in these parts!
Hey TCD, yea weird about the title thing. What's even funnier though, I did the show in Vegas and got yanked with no plates, tags, or even a VIN and the damn officer told me to go to the DMV there and make up an address to use on the form and get a bike registered!! :eek:

coolchange
10-15-2007, 06:49 PM
You can MSO in CA also.

al cole'holic
10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
You can MSO in CA also.
..you sure can, as long as you do a CHP inspection.....and a DMV inspection....and lights, blinkers, speedo....and a charcoal cannister....and a EPA smog cert.....and an EPA smog tag....and a bullet for the forehead :eek: