PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing idiot....

rmarion
10-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Ok give it to me............:devil:
Has anybody received a ticket for unsafe boating operation of Transom Riding? The ticket was issued to me as the Driver/Captain of the Boat, for Title 14, 6697 (a).
I have been subpoena to appear in court for this matter.
We were wakesurfing, one of my passengers were sitting on the 12” cushioned ski locker which is located on the side of the boat, while traveling at 10MPH
I forgot about the ticket, did not receive a courtesy notice, and missed my original date, now it looks like IÂ’m doing some timeÂ….
what damaged am I looking at?????? Cost? Fee? Time?

wright27
10-15-2007, 01:19 PM
Not positive on this, but I would say a couple hundred thousand dollars and at least 10 years in prison.:D

Waist Deep
10-15-2007, 01:31 PM
My buddy got one, had to appear and it cost him about 6 bills, plus he was put on some sort of probation where they would revoke his ability to drive the boat if caught within 2 years for any infraction. I think this was out of Brawley.

OGShocker
10-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Wake Surfing: In this sport the rider is initially towed by a rope of various lengths that is attached to a weighted vessel. Once the desired wave is created by the vessel and the rider is balanced on his/her surfboard, the tow rope is tossed into the boat or on the opposite side of the wave. The rider then proceeds to surf the wave often approximately 10 feet behind and slightly to the side of the boat.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/surveyreports/pdfs/ectb-171-37a.pdf
Better read than DEAD.

riverbound
10-15-2007, 01:54 PM
so was the ticket for the surfer or the idiot sitting on the ski locker??:confused:
We have done quite a bit of wake surfing (usually using 2 boats) and have never been hassled.

SummerBreeze
10-15-2007, 02:02 PM
Not positive on this, but I would say a couple hundred thousand dollars and at least 10 years in prison.:D
Don't forget they will impound your boat while you do time

rmarion
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
so was the ticket for the surfer or the idiot sitting on the ski locker??:confused:
We have done quite a bit of wake surfing (usually using 2 boats) and have never been hassled.
it was the idiot driver (Me) for un safe boat operation, having the rider on the transom.

2Driver
10-15-2007, 02:19 PM
it was the idiot driver (Me) for un safe boat operation, having the rider on the transom.
yes, that's true :D

rmarion
10-15-2007, 02:20 PM
Wake Surfing: In this sport the rider is initially towed by a rope of various lengths that is attached to a weighted vessel. Once the desired wave is created by the vessel and the rider is balanced on his/her surfboard, the tow rope is tossed into the boat or on the opposite side of the wave. The rider then proceeds to surf the wave often approximately 10 feet behind and slightly to the side of the boat.
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/surveyreports/pdfs/ectb-171-37a.pdf
Better read than DEAD.
CO is deadly, the aricle is correct.
I remember in the 80's, raeading a boating article about a yound kid who died from CO posioning while boatiing with her family. She was riding in the back corner seats, the boat was traveling slowly due to rough water (15mph), the family never knew what was happening, she looked peaceful sleeping in the corner......:(

OC28HEAT
10-15-2007, 02:34 PM
http://www.saccourt.com/criminal/bailsch/misdbail/careg14.asp

rmarion
10-15-2007, 02:42 PM
http://www.saccourt.com/criminal/bailsch/misdbail/careg14.asp
thanks.........
I wish I could pay online...say a trip from OC... to El Centro

yopengo
10-15-2007, 02:49 PM
Wakesurfing idiot....
Fokking Bilge at it again? Id make the bastard pay. :eek: :D
<<<<<< yopengo drunk posting from New Orleans. :D

Boatcop
10-15-2007, 04:29 PM
It's also a misdmeanor offense. If you failed to appear, as directed on the citation and you've received a summons, there's a chance you also have a warrant out for your arrest.
I'd get in there ASAP, or you may end up with additional problems if you're pulled over for anything.

Faceaz
10-15-2007, 05:55 PM
I got a ticket years ago for someone not sitting in a designated seat & (convieniently) forgot about the ticket. A year or two later I got pulled over for speeding in my car & ended up spending the rest of my day in Madison Street Jail. Joe Arpaio lives up to his reputation, they had me in a holding cell with about 15 other inmates. Went to court, the judge put a pretty good scare in me, then let me off with a small fine. My suggestion - take care of the ticket ASAP.

beernut
10-15-2007, 06:16 PM
i would go to the clirks office,asap,and try to pay, dont go on friday incase they do keep you,and you would be there all weekend,or you could call them and find out where you stand,:idea:

rmarion
10-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Update.........
it is a misdemeanor charge.
Cost is $820
I can pay on-line....
Expensive lesson.....
BTW, I'd never allow anyone to sit on the transom, if we were skiing, wakeboarding, or under power......
but man, when your wakesurfing, top speed is 11mph....
now I know............:eek:

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Probably federal time at Pelican Bay.........lol

YeLLowBoaT
10-18-2007, 03:46 PM
It's also a misdmeanor offense. If you failed to appear, as directed on the citation and you've received a summons, there's a chance you also have a warrant out for your arrest.
I'd get in there ASAP, or you may end up with additional problems if you're pulled over for anything.
I would also add that if you try to buy a gun, you will get a DMV kick back... since you are now a fugative from justice... :)
Out of all the dros I ever filled out that came back ( about 30 out of over thousand) all but one was from a DMV kick back for a unpaid ticket of some kind.