PDA

View Full Version : 20' Liberator - Help - Keel & Shoe

Gearhead
02-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I have a friend that has a '97 model 20' Liberator that he needs some help. I know absolutely nothing about a Liberator. What I am looking for is a recommended baseline on the keel shape (bubble, drop keel, etc.) and shoe angle and depth for about 800 to 850 hp and 100 to 110 mph. The boat is a lake weight hull, not an ultralight.
I have no history with this boat but have been told that originally it had the factory straight keel and would get the nose up and on top the water pretty quick, but had not top end. Then someone added a dropped keel (that looks pretty healthy to me) and the performance report is that you cannot get the nose up, even with a diverter all the way up and the boat won't e.t. or mph well. To me it looks like the dropped keel may be acting like a hook.
Is there anyone that can give advise on the proper dimensions of the keel and shoe as well as pictures for a good starting point for this hull?
Any advise and help will be appreciated! THANKS!

Ken F
02-28-2006, 07:27 PM
Wow, you know how to ask some LOADED questions don't you? LOL
At the risk of going down in flames here, I'll tell you what it sounds like to me:
First, how deep is the dropped keel? You stated that it looks pretty healthy to you. 5/8" is getting pretty healthy, and should be good to the speeds you are talking. (let me interject here that I'm not at all familiar with a liberator either)
It sounds like the set-up is way wrong, and you are not getting enough speed or lift to get the boat to fly. Was anything done to the shoe or rideplate after adding the keel?
I don't really see how the dropped keel could be acting like a hook.
The thing that comes to mind is that maybe the shoe is way too high now.
Man, without seeing the boat, you are almost asking the impossible.
I'd try calling Duane, Jack, or another to have someone look at the boat.
Sorry, didn't help much, but there are just too many variables to diagnose it over the internet.
Ken F

Cs19
03-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Lets see some pics and what is the weight of the boat? From what I understand, heavier hulls do not need big keels.
You need to find out how much keel is on the boat in relation to the flats next to the bubble.Ken says 5/8 is alot, I disagree. A daytona out of the mold has .500 and thats small in comparison to what alot of guys are running around here.
If the boat wont carry the nose the way it is, something is very wrong.Maybe the keel is dragging through the water and forcing the nose over???
CS

Gearhead
03-01-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks Ken and CS19.
I will find out the keel depth although it will probably be a week before I can do so. Ken, I know it is a big ticket item to "diagnose" over the internet, but at the same time if there were a knowledgeable Liberator person out there I'm sure they could provide a decent baseline in the complete setup - keel, shoe, plate, nozzle and/or loader. I would be willing to bet the hull is in the 550 to 600 range plus it has a full gage complement, lights, stereo, back seat, etc... In other words fully dressed. It also has an iron engine with a 6-71.... So the thing has plenty of weight.
I was out of the performance boats for 17 years but I still can offer a good starting point on an old Youngblood.