PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic lock - NEED HELP BAD!!!!

Kachinalazer
06-08-2003, 08:57 PM
My 1986 Kachina Lazer had a destroyed Chevy 350 (Berkeley Jet) when I bought it, number 7 cylinder cracked and the combustion chamber in the head blown apart, and it was full of water. I just finished a complete (read EXPENSIVE) build-up of a brand new engine, got it all mounted, and took it to the lake for its first fire-up. Didn't take it off the trailer, just got the pump in the water so the pump would be wet and pumping water. Motor fired right up and after adjusting the timing, sounds great! I didn't run it very long, when I shut it down I went to restart and the starter started to turn and then stopped. Not sure, but fearing hydraulic lock (indicative of the problem that blew the original motor), I did not attempt to run it any further and took it home. Upon taking the plugs out, I found significant amounts of water in the #5 cylinder, and some in the cylinders on that whole side. I don't want to ruin this new motor, so I need to know if anyone can recommend a good 'ol jet boat expert in the San Jose, CA area, or maybe the San Francisco Bay Area at least. Summer's here and I don't want to screw around anymore, I need a pro who can diagnose and solve my problem. I suspect something with the exhaust log is up, but I'm not sure and don't want to risk this motor. HELP!!!!

GlastronGuy
06-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Not exactly your area but a good man.
In Modesto (http://www.walts***boat.com/)

Snorider
06-09-2003, 05:10 PM
Quick question for you, although this may seem like the obvious answer: What cam is in the new motor? With a boat motor, if the cam has too much overlap, it can actually suck water back in through the exhaust ports, which would fill the cylinders up. If the motor was brand new, that seems to be about the only thing i can think of that would fill the cylinders (besides water getting in the carb)

Fufu Queen
06-09-2003, 05:21 PM
What kind of exhaust are you running? If they are headers I'm wondering if your ball valve is working

Hal
06-09-2003, 05:41 PM
If you are you are using water cooled manifolds the one on that side must have a leak or crack in it. If you have wet hedders you have to much water going to them. Install an adjustable shut off valve to control your water flow to them.
Need more info on your set up...
Did'nt see your post FUFU.. Started this and left for a while before I posted. :D
[ June 09, 2003, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Hal ]

Jet Hydro
06-09-2003, 08:00 PM
I had that same problem one time but it was to much pump pressure and it kept blowing the intake gaskets out of my motor.
I put a regulator on, problem solved.
Just something to think about!

BiggusJimbus
06-09-2003, 08:24 PM
The guys at GTH Marine in Concord have always been straight with me.
Also, I've been corresponding with Jim at Performance Jet in Sebastapool. He has been very helpful with e-mail and over the phone. Seems to love what he does and will help you, no strings attached. Haven't tried out his work, but he comes recommended. jim@performancejet.com www.performancejet.com (http://www.performancejet.com)
Good Luck.
Jimbus.
[ June 09, 2003, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: BiggusJimbus ]

squirt
06-09-2003, 10:05 PM
[took it to the lake for its first fire-up. Didn't take it off the trailer, just got the pump in the water so the pump would be wet and pumping water. Motor fired right up and after adjusting the timing, sounds great! I didn't run it very long, when I shut it down I went to restart and the starter started to turn and then stopped. Not sure, but fearing hydraulic lock (indicative of the problem that blew the original motor), I did not attempt to run it any further and took it home. Upon taking the plugs out, I found significant amounts of water in the #5 cylinder, and some in the cylinders on that whole side. I don't want to ruin this new motor, so I need to know if anyone can recommend a good 'ol jet boat expert in the San Jose, CA area, or maybe the San Francisco Bay Area at least. Summer's here and I don't want to screw around anymore, I need a pro who can diagnose and solve my problem. I suspect something with the exhaust log is up, but I'm not sure and don't want to risk this motor. HELP!!!! [/QB][/QUOTE]
Sounds like more than an exhaust reversion problem to me, and Jet Hydro could be right about too much pressure.How far did you open the valve on your pump? What temp were you running at? I put a pressure gauge on the intake manifold just so I can monitor the pressure. Just a little too much (1/2 turn more open than normal on my valve) and I'll see 25lbs at WOT. Since your in the SJ area there is a good shop right in your area. It is called Pleasure boat specialties,I think it is off Montahue exp. (sp) The owner is Glen, He is a good guy and will help ya figure it out. He knows his stuff when it comes to jets and has done a number of boats in the bay area.
Good luck.
Don

Cas
06-10-2003, 06:11 PM
I'll 2nd squirt's recommendation on Pleasure Boats.
If you have thru transom exhaust, check to make sure the flaps inside the tips are there and are the proper size. The reason being is it's possible when you backed the boat in the water you filled the exhaust manifold up a little. If you get a little reversion at that point, you can suck the water right in.....especially since you ran the engine prior to launching. Being that it was hot, it'll suck the water right in to any open areas.
Unfortunately, that is speaking from experience but fortunately nothing bad happened.

Kachinalazer
06-10-2003, 07:19 PM
Thanks for all the input, I'm going to try Pleasure Boat, they're really close to me. I have a feeling it's a water log gasket or possibly a crack, as it only did it on the odd-cylinder side, and actually I did not run the motor before putting it in the water. I only backed it in far enought to keep the pump wet, and the flaps look great so I don't think the water got in when I backed in. I'm using a mild RV cam (about 205 at 50 I believe) so I would be surprised if it's an overlap issue. I've built a couple boat motors and this one is brand new, so I don't think it's an internal gasket issue. I do suspect the logs, this is a mini-daycruiser style with an engine cover, so it doesn't have risers, probably because of clearance below the engine cover. The manifolds sit WAY above the water line, I'm also suspect of pump water pressure since there are no risers and the exit water plumbs in right behind the gasket between the log and the exhaust half. I've heard everyone talk about Berkeley Pump water pressure, I experienced it first hand as the heads I had rebuilt on this thing were off a car motor, and I forgot to put the plug in the head where cars usually take hot water from. Man, when I first fired the thing up, let me tell you, the amount of water shooting out of that hole was enough, and under enough pressure, to put out a house fire! So, I think I'll take it to Pleasure Boat and see if they can pressure test the logs, and maybe look into a pressure valve of some sort.

Wet Dream
06-10-2003, 07:26 PM
The part that doesn't make me believe its a pressure issue is that you had it on the trailer. I'm willing to be that you didn't take it anywhere near full throttle which increases the block pressure. Idle to 2500 rpm will not create enough block pressure to blow a head gasket without a gate valve or pressure regulator. Could the heads need to be shaved or one is warped?

bp
06-10-2003, 07:51 PM
it can happen sitting on the trailer if the trailer isn't holding the boat at the same attitude it would be if it was in the water. boat should be side to side level, with the bow up, or that water from the hose could find it's way into bad places...

Popeyes Ride
06-10-2003, 08:04 PM
I would remove the log manifolds and hydro test them with a garden hose leaving the risers on. If they pass the test I would Hydro the block to see if you have any leaks first.

84taylor
06-11-2003, 05:10 PM
Had the same problem once with a bbc. Had just reset the timing and ran the boat. Ran fine, but when I shut it off and then restarted it, it must have been advanced too far and kicked backwards. Next try with the starter it fired right up but with a very faint knock. Turned out it had sucked water in all the cylinders that had the exhaust valves open when it kicked back. Bent a rod at the wrist pin.I'd check the timing before I went any further.