PDA

View Full Version : MOLD!!! wife has infection!!!!!!

Sanger D
10-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Can anyone PLEASE help us:confused: , my wife caught an infection from mold in the building she works at. The company will can her if she says anything and the doctor told her she should not go back or it will get even worse, called EPA and DEQ and OSHA and also the health department,we can not get anywhere:( :( ,does anyone know of an attorney in Arizona who can handle this. I'm really scarred for my wife right now,she's pretty sick,I've been prayin pretty hard. Any help would be so greatly appriciated. Thanks
Darin and Nicole

riverroyal
10-15-2007, 06:08 PM
mold is the new asbestos

Mandelon
10-15-2007, 06:16 PM
There are no govenmental established Personal Exposure Limits. A certain amount of mold exposure is normal, excess presence of spores and hyphae is not. The government has not or will not pick a level.
Personally I think that if they did, it would open them up to lots of expensive lawsuits and mitigation work.
Have her take lots of photos. Try to document her ill effects. The doctors have to be pretty savvy to prove the issues.
Additionally I'd hire an industrial hygienist to come in and take some samples of the air and dust present in the office...even if they have to do it on the sly.
I am certified for mold remediation and inspection. but again, not by the state. There is no recognized license or certification by either arizona or ca.
google these site AmIAQC, IESO, IAQA also check out http://toxic.mold-help.org there are forums there.

Sanger D
10-15-2007, 06:19 PM
The only way to test for mold is to get the building owners permission, (that aint goona happen) or a court order, hence , I need an attorney!!!! what to do first???? not to worried about the job, just want them to pay and my wife to get better!this company needs to be nailed,they are very bad to employees,arizona is right to work state, it really sucks.

Mandelon
10-15-2007, 06:22 PM
She could do tape lift samples herself....consult with a hygienist and see what they suggest.
Do her symptoms go away when she is away from the office for a few days?

CHAD1
10-15-2007, 06:27 PM
How Do You Know She Was Exposed At Work? Is It Visable? If So Take Picks And Tell Her Boss...think About Her Coworkers , They Need To Know!!!

westair
10-15-2007, 06:37 PM
The only way to test for mold is to get the building owners permission, (that aint goona happen) or a court order, hence , I need an attorney!!!! what to do first???? not to worried about the job, just want them to pay and my wife to get better!this company needs to be nailed,they are very bad to employees,arizona is right to work state, it really sucks.
How do you know its from that building? You can buy a test kit from Home Depot for 10.00, let it sit for a couple days and then send it to their lab .... takes about a week and you get complete results of everything your breathing. It will tell whats harmful and what is not.

Mandelon
10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
But it won't tell you the concentrations of what's there. And not all airborne spores are going to grow in the petri dish. some are quicker growing that others.
Basics here...buy some glass slides at a hobby store and use some old fashioned scotch tape. Not the opaque invisible kind the old clear type.
have her pick up dust sample from here and there, on top of pictures, behind stuff...wherever there is dust, mold will be in it.
If she can get the doctor to support her she can make a workers comp claim, and an attorney can force testing to be done....but it won't be cheap for either.
Does she have respiratory issues, skin rashes, aspergilliosis?? Some of the more robust types can grow in your lungs......

blown428fe
10-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Where is your wifes infection? Lungs? hope she gets better. I had a brain infection this summer that was caused by my history of ear infections. going back under the knife next Monday, not looking foward to it. Good luck to the both of you.

Faceaz
10-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Question for you Mandelon,
I had heard there are (2) different types of mold found in buildings. One being black mold that would be created from a leaking sewer system & another that's created just by too much moisture or maybe roof leaks. Is that true? I was told it's only the black mold that's harmful - any truth to this?
~ Thanks,
But it won't tell you the concentrations of what's there. And not all airborne spores are going to grow in the petri dish. some are quicker growing that others.
Basics here...buy some glass slides at a hobby store and use some old fashioned scotch tape. Not the opaque invisible kind the old clear type.
have her pick up dust sample from here and there, on top of pictures, behind stuff...wherever there is dust, mold will be in it.
If she can get the doctor to support her she can make a workers comp claim, and an attorney can force testing to be done....but it won't be cheap for either.
Does she have respiratory issues, skin rashes, aspergilliosis?? Some of the more robust types can grow in your lungs......

AirtimeLavey
10-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Sorry to hear your wife is sick. I'd look for other reasons besides mold unless she has a significant immune suppression problem or severe allergies. The reason there are no set levels is because they haven't produced conclusive evidence that mold causes specific serious health issues. It's more hype than reality. There are lots of people profiting from the hype; mostly attorneys, contractors, etc. C.D.C. would be the best place to look for information regarding actual dangers of mold. I'm no expert and could be wrong. Hope you find what the problem is and get her the care she needs.
Here's some info from the NY State Dept. of Health website:
Can mold make my family sick?
Exposure to mold can cause health effects in some people. The most common effects are allergic responses from breathing mold spores. These allergic responses include hay fever or asthma and irritation of the eyes, nose, throat or lungs. We usually cannot say how much mold is too much as our reactions to allergens can vary greatly depending on individual sensitivity. Allergic responses can come from exposure to dead as well as to living mold spores. Therefore, killing mold with bleach and or other disinfectants may not prevent allergic responses.
Less common effects of mold exposure include infections and toxic effects. Serious infections from living molds are relatively rare and occur mainly in people with severely suppressed immune systems. Many types of molds may produce toxins but only under certain growth conditions. Toxic effects have been reported from eating moldy grain, but evidence is weak that breathing mold spores in buildings causes toxic effects.
What are common symptoms of mold exposure?
Allergy and irritation are the most common symptoms of mold exposure. Although symptoms will vary, the most common symptoms seen in people exposed to mold indoors include:
Nasal and sinus congestion
Eye irritation, such as itchy, red, watery eyes
Respiratory problems, such as wheezing and difficulty breathing
Cough
Throat irritation
Skin irritation, such as a rash
Headache
None of those symptoms are any fun. Hope she gets better soon. :(

Squirtin Thunder
10-15-2007, 07:41 PM
D I would call down to the main offices in Masa (I think), you will get way better responce. Bullhead sucks for this.

BajaMike
10-15-2007, 07:45 PM
It is debatable, and never proven, whether this is a real illness and/or disease....(not to imply she is not sick).
From Wikipedia......
""Health effects
Main article: Mold health issues
The problems with mold usually stem from the symptoms and health effects resulting from indoor mold exposure. There is public awareness that exposure to mold can cause adverse health effects, symptoms, and possible allergic reactions. Health professionals are often tasked with the investigation and/or assessment of these health effects on employees and/or the public.
The most common form of hypersensitivity is caused by the direct exposure to inhaled mold spores or hyphal fragments which can lead to allergic asthma or allergic rhinitis.[2] The most common effects are runny nose, watery eyes, coughing and asthma attacks. Another form of hypersensitivity is hypersensitivity pneumonitis (HP).
This is usually the direct result of inhaled large spores or fragments in an occupational setting.[2] About 5% of individuals are predicted to have some allergic airway symptoms from molds over their lifetime.[3]
Toxic effects from mold are produced by exposure to the mycotoxins of some mold species, such as Stachybotrys chartarum (S. chartarum). These are often referred to as “Toxic molds”.
These toxic molds are often implicated as a potential cause of Sick Building Syndrome. A 1993-94 case study based on cases of pulmonary hemorrhage in infants in Cleveland, Ohio originally concluded there was no causal relationship between the exposure and the disease.
The investigators revisited the cases and established a link to the exposure to S. chartrum and the infants in their homes. This relationship was later disproved by a different panel and re-evaluation.[3]""
:idea:
My comment:
Note that the most common reaction is an "allegic" reaction, not an illness or disease. Also, the above mentioned "Sick Building Syndrome" was later "disproved".
I hope your wife is OK, just be sure to look at other causes. As noted above....."The most common effects are runny nose, watery eyes, coughing and asthma attacks".
There is still a lot of disagreement in the medical world as to whether this "syndrome' even exists, so if you wife is sick, keep an open mind to other causes and solutions.
I hope she is OK!
:idea:

AirtimeLavey
10-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Here's some info from the C.D.C.;
There is always some mold everywhere - in the air and on many surfaces. Molds have been on the Earth for millions of years. Mold grows where there is moisture.
Mold and Your Health
Exposure to damp and moldy environments may cause a variety of health effects, or none at all. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, molds can cause nasal stuffiness, throat irritation, coughing or wheezing, eye irritation, or, in some cases, skin irritation. People with mold allergies may have more severe reactions. Immune-compromised people and people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may get serious infections in their lungs when they are exposed to mold. These people should stay away from areas that are likely to have mold, such as compost piles, cut grass, and wooded areas.
And their website:
http://www.cdc.gov/mold/dampness_facts.htm

BajaMike
10-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Can anyone PLEASE help us:confused: , my wife caught an infection from mold in the building she works at. The company will can her if she says anything and the doctor told her she should not go back or it will get even worse.
Darin and Nicole
If the doctor told her she had an "infection" and "not to go back to work" (without testing of the building) I would go to another doctor. Infections can be treated with anti-biotics. Allergic reactions can be treated with other drugs.:idea:

boat boy
10-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Our Son-in-Law and Daughter are in Okinawa, in USMC housing. There previous home was infested with mold, she's caring our first Grandchild and was constantly sick. They finally moved them and the government is closing that pectoral base.
Since there move she has been a lot better, all I can say is good luck dealing with it, your health is more important than a job. As stated earlier mold is our new asbestos.

OGShocker
10-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Hope everything turns out OK! Were thinking of you!

OCMerrill
10-16-2007, 07:12 AM
Additionally I'd hire an industrial hygienist to come in and take some samples of the air and dust present in the office...even if they have to do it on the sly.
I am also a certified in remediation although we do not do this full time.
If it's visible then tape lifts and a good digital camera will be a good place to start. You can do this yourself and send it in to a mold testing lab for analysis. If it's not then like Mandelon stated you need an air sampling. Pretty tough to do that on the sly but I am sure it's done.
Thing is unless your prepared to lawyer up maybe a change of scenery might be best.
States (with exception of two) just refuse to get involved with mold. It is pretty much litigation driven.

Baja Big Dog
10-16-2007, 07:27 AM
Sanger...how do you know its from her work?
Has anyone else been sick?
Wrongful termination could lead to an early retirement for yo r wife, if she is fired over a claim for unsafe work conditions.

Sanger D
10-16-2007, 09:48 AM
UNBELEIVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,the state of AZ is a F&^%*N JOKE!!!!!!!!The building has sick building syndrome and no one in any agency cares,they could care less if my wife is sick or not,....the roof leaks and the intake filters have a inch of grey slime on em (its discusting) and the smell is terrible and others are feeling it too. The problem is that no one else knows ,they think they have a cold or flu but it just doesnt quite kick in, just dry chronic cough and teary eyes and body aches that come and go,the cough just stays and gets worse,...........almost took her to emergency last night. The employer will can her if shes says anything and they will can her if she goes to the doctor or files for work comp,s they have crappy insurance so shes on her own for payment(its getting exspensive). Others are scarred to speak up ..........jobs are very hard to come by here in bullhead,...specailly good paying jobs, and cant find an attorney to help us , really discourageing!!!!:(

Nord
10-16-2007, 10:04 AM
If you are truely worried about her health, you need to remove her from the problem.

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-16-2007, 10:17 AM
UNBELEIVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,the state of AZ is a F&^%*N JOKE!!!!!!!!The building has sick building syndrome and no one in any agency cares,they could care less if my wife is sick or not,....the roof leaks and the intake filters have a inch of grey slime on em (its discusting) and the smell is terrible and others are feeling it too. The problem is that no one else knows ,they think they have a cold or flu but it just doesnt quite kick in, just dry chronic cough and teary eyes and body aches that come and go,the cough just stays and gets worse,...........almost took her to emergency last night. The employer will can her if shes says anything and they will can her if she goes to the doctor or files for work comp,s they have crappy insurance so shes on her own for payment(its getting exspensive). Others are scarred to speak up ..........jobs are very hard to come by here in bullhead,...specailly good paying jobs, and cant find an attorney to help us , really discourageing!!!!:(
is the job actually more important then her health.
she can find another job.
Have you tried to get a government inspection in there .. get someone in there for everyones health. be the ones to speak out and possibly save someone from becoming deathly ill or dead.

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-16-2007, 10:23 AM
http://www.arizonamoldinspectors.com/

RiverDave
10-16-2007, 10:27 AM
Has anyone else employed there complained of the same health problems?
Do the symptoms go away is she's not there for a few days?
RD

sorry dog
10-16-2007, 10:42 AM
Who own's the building??
Does the employer rent or own?
I'm doing a rehab on a house right now and the insurance is going to pay an amount on the mold remediation. It was a separate clause in the policy that addressed it and had a limit on it...don't know if this is common but something to think about.
I think the tape test will just let you know if any of the molds present are toxic or just allergenic. Mandelon's advice goes along with my recent experience in this. High humidity with lack of air circulation is the usual cause. Mold is everywhere and the air test will first do a baseline test outside, and then test several other sites in the building as well as try to indentify potential issues such as lack of air turnover from HVAC system, or in the case of my project the lack of a vapor barrier and foundation vents.
My grandmother's 50 year old house was mold city in some rooms, and about half my family would have problems spending the nights...only gave me itchy eyes, but it was definately the mold...had to throw away a lot of furniture from the place. After she moved, her asthma suddenly cleared up.

sorry dog
10-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Others are scarred to speak up ..........jobs are very hard to come by here in bullhead,...specailly good paying jobs, and cant find an attorney to help us , really discourageing!!!!:(
The reason your having a hard time finding any attorney is that the difficulty in proving your case does not make much business sense for the amount of damages you currently have.
...now if you have a wrongful termination. The law is much more clear on that and I'm sure you'll have attorney's finding you in that case.

Sanger D
10-16-2007, 12:18 PM
thanks for the imput everyone , today is her last day, I told her to get the hell outta there, I'd had enough, (shes very stubborn) Not one agency would help and not one attorney would even give us advice:mad: Her doctor will give her a letter for not going back so we'll see what her employer does, I will NEVER give to another federal or state or city orginezation or agency as long as live I'm so effin done with trying to abide by the channels, Now I can see why people just snap and go ballistic in businesses with AK's. What the F%$^k has this country turned into????:jawdrop: To bad she was'nt an illegal, she might have got some justice!!! Oh well ,I just hope she gets better soon,doctors are even retards:rolleyes: .............What a mess!