PDA

View Full Version : LS Series Engines

Desert68
10-15-2007, 06:53 PM
I've been lurking and learning for a few months, asking a question here and there, and here's another question. Has anybody dropped a GM LS series engine - LS1, LS2, LS6 - into one of these cool, older boats? Couple things made me think of this: pro-touring folks are doing it to Camaros, Novas, etc, plus I've recently been reading about the LSX Shootout races. It could be anything from a junkyard LS1 w/ a GMPP carb setup to an LSX/Procharger deal. Just sharing a thought ...

JAY4SPEED
10-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Xerophobic had a shot of one in an older thread about tin can boats.
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2152046&postcount=10
I'd love to do the same project myself, I do EFI tuning on LSX engines, have been around them since day 1 and love them. But, after I've figured out what it would take to make the amount of reliable horsepower to compete with the power output of a bigblock and converting it to marine use, and fabricating everthing I would need to fit it in a jetboat, it would be close to the same amount of money to actually building a supercharged big block. But then again, a big block in a jetboat isn't very unique now a days.
Jay

sanger rat
10-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Jay do you tune?

IMPATIENT 1
10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
Jay do you tune?
yes he does, tune-n-tokyo:D
gm performance parts has a complete drop in , carb'd ls series motors;) i also seen jegs and summit started selling the intake with the ignition system.
like jay said though, it'd be cool yeah, but fast , prob not without major $$$$ compared to a big block. i've got 2 6.0liters in great shape sitting in my barn waiting for parts to get cheaper. i'd like to use 1 in a v-drive;)

sanger rat
10-16-2007, 01:19 PM
I want to hop up my silverado.:D

JAY4SPEED
10-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Jay do you tune?
Yes sir I sure do :D
I want to hop up my silverado.:D
What do ya have in it and what are you looking to get out of it?
I saw your post in the sandbar in the Denali MPG thread. You had posted a link to wait4meperformance, good choice, Jesse Bubb is well resepected in the LSX tuning circles. He has helped me sort out some issues I was having in a forum in which we both belong. The dude sure knows his stuff!
Jay

JAY4SPEED
10-16-2007, 08:13 PM
yes he does, tune-n-tokyo:D
gm performance parts has a complete drop in , carb'd ls series motors;) i also seen jegs and summit started selling the intake with the ignition system.
like jay said though, it'd be cool yeah, but fast , prob not without major $$$$ compared to a big block. i've got 2 6.0liters in great shape sitting in my barn waiting for parts to get cheaper. i'd like to use 1 in a v-drive;)
Tom, do you want to donate one of those 6.0s in the name of science??:D I'd be willing to set it up in my SWTD and see what happens:D :D :D
Jay

IMPATIENT 1
10-17-2007, 05:55 AM
Tom, do you want to donate one of those 6.0s in the name of science??:D I'd be willing to set it up in my SWTD and see what happens:D :D :D
Jay
how have you not collected a few already???:D i'm still waiting for a 8.1l:rolleyes: 1 of the 6.0l will go in my kids project in a couple yrs., the other i was gonna try a couple of 6.5l turbo garrets(i just happen to have a couple:D ) on at some point.

sanger rat
10-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Yes sir I sure do :D
What do ya have in it and what are you looking to get out of it?
I saw your post in the sandbar in the Denali MPG thread. You had posted a link to wait4meperformance, good choice, Jesse Bubb is well resepected in the LSX tuning circles. He has helped me sort out some issues I was having in a forum in which we both belong. The dude sure knows his stuff!
Jay
2000 5.3 rcsb. Daily driver. I'm new to the ls stuff. I was amazed at what can be done with these engines. I've been reading the truck boards learning what I can. It it possible to change to a hotter cam and still run 87-89 octane? Needs to still tow the boat and drive in the snow. Want it to sound good too.I'm willing to go with the trailblazer converter. I figured I would go with Jesse seeing that he is close to me.

AaronL
10-17-2007, 04:31 PM
I say do it! I was very close to putting an LSX engine in my boat, but I'm a Ford guy and just couldn't bring myself to do it. I build lots of parts for the LS engines (intake manifolds, valve covers, turbo headers/kits.....) and I think they are a great engine. You can get good horsepower out of them. Here's an underhood picture of a truck with twins that runs a 10 flat in the 1/4 mile :jawdrop:
http://intakeelbows.com/parish01500.jpg
Summitracing.com sells a kit with the edelbrock ls1 single plane intake with fuel rails for $400, or just the carb intake for cheaper.
http://intakeelbows.com/ls1eblowgrey01.jpg

JAY4SPEED
10-17-2007, 05:50 PM
how have you not collected a few already???:D i'm still waiting for a 8.1l:rolleyes: 1 of the 6.0l will go in my kids project in a couple yrs., the other i was gonna try a couple of 6.5l turbo garrets(i just happen to have a couple:D ) on at some point.
LoL, my service manager is a gearhead also. He will pay the core charge for the engine usually before the engine hoist is pulled out of the storage area to remove the engine. Its hard to beat him to the punch:mad: But, he needs someone to do the electrical and tuning so I have the upperhand...:D
2000 5.3 rcsb. Daily driver. I'm new to the ls stuff. I was amazed at what can be done with these engines. I've been reading the truck boards learning what I can. It it possible to change to a hotter cam and still run 87-89 octane? Needs to still tow the boat and drive in the snow. Want it to sound good too.I'm willing to go with the trailblazer converter. I figured I would go with Jesse seeing that he is close to me.
Jesse does good work, you won't be dissapointed. How does he handle the mailorder tune, do you pack up your ECM and mail it in? All of my work is local, I've never done a mail order tune. I like having hands on so I can see what changes I make and what the effects are. EFIlive is coming out with a remote programmer but isn't available yet. Its kind of like a custom "hypertech" programmer which has your custom tune loaded in it. You send your customer the compact unit, they copy their calibration file onto the unit and send it in. The tuner will manipulate the calibration file and install it on the unit and send it back to the customer. The customer then loads the file into the vehicle. Its a great way to do mail order tunes but I'm told "Autocal" from EFIlive wont be out for a while. I was just wondering how everyone else does it.
I say do it! I was very close to putting an LSX engine in my boat, but I'm a Ford guy and just couldn't bring myself to do it. I build lots of parts for the LS engines (intake manifolds, valve covers, turbo headers/kits.....) and I think they are a great engine. You can get good horsepower out of them. Here's an underhood picture of a truck with twins that runs a 10 flat in the 1/4 mile :jawdrop:
http://intakeelbows.com/parish01500.jpg
Summitracing.com sells a kit with the edelbrock ls1 single plane intake with fuel rails for $400, or just the carb intake for cheaper.
http://intakeelbows.com/ls1eblowgrey01.jpg
Wow, nice work! Beautiful welds! I've bookmarked your site in case I need it later on.:)
Jay

sanger rat
10-17-2007, 08:59 PM
$150. and you get to keep your stock ECM. I got a feeling I'm going to get carried away with this thing.:D

pokerboat
10-19-2007, 02:56 PM
I want to put a LS1 in my tunnel hull after I restore it. But I am still looking for some exhaust water logs