PDA

View Full Version : Electric Water Pump for use with Blowers?

js66chev
10-16-2007, 06:42 AM
I have a general question. I have a 402 bbc with a 6-71 Weiand blower and wanted to get some information on which electric water pumps will work with blowers....from what I know.....the CSR's do not....which ones do? I'm sure its a fitment issue. Any help would be great. Thanks!:idea:

ck7684
10-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Not sure what would be different with a blower motor, but there are a few V8 Fiero conversions that use electric water pumps mounted off the engine and plumbed into the water outlets...

js66chev
10-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the reply...I beleive its issues with the blower belt, accessory belts clearing the pump housing. I beleive there are one or two that would work with blowers but not sure which ones. Meizere, etc.??

Warp Factor
10-16-2007, 03:10 PM
It would help if you describe your setup and what it is that you want to accomplish.
Is this on a boat? Do you want a recirculating system, or do you have a closed system with a heat exchanger, or are you just trying to find a way to push lake water through the engine and dump it out the back?
Why do you want an electric pump?

Wizard29
10-16-2007, 04:32 PM
I have an 8-71 blown 632 in my '70 Monte Carlo. I am running a CSR electric water pump with it. The blower is from The Blower Shop and I required a 2V lower pulley to run the blower belt out far enough to clear the water pump. If not for the extra spacing of the 2V pulley, the blower belt would not have cleared. It barely clears now, but doesn't hit.
I attached a couple of pictures here that hopefully show how close it is. This is a street motor that doesn't run sustained high RPMs, but I run the belt pretty loose and have never had any problems with the belt contacting the water pump. Good luck...

js66chev
10-16-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Guys, this is for my car....66 chevelle with a blown 402 bbc with a 6-71. Its underdriven but still pulls out 600 horses. I mainly drive it on the street and to shows.
I wanted an electric pump since my motor idles low in traffice and I figure a electric pump would help in decreasing the temperature & prevent overheating in hot conditions on some occasions & help my electric fans out.
Very nice car in the pics:) Thoughts on my thinking or just stick with my mech. pump?

Wizard29
10-16-2007, 07:30 PM
I wanted an electric pump since my motor idles low in traffice and I figure a electric pump would help in decreasing the temperature & prevent overheating in hot conditions on some occasions & help my electric fans out.
Very nice car in the pics:) Thoughts on my thinking or just stick with my mech. pump?
Fuel pump or water pump? I like electric everything. My water pump seems to do just fine, although the engine will begin to run hot if I don't keep it moving. Idling in traffic is out of the question, even with my electric fan on. However, as long as the car is moving, the temperature isn't an issue. That tells me it is an airflow issue, not a coolant movement issue, so the electric pump would appear to be adequate. I have quite a few cubes though, so your 402 may be okay in the same situation. It's also a good benefit to be able to run the fan and the pump with the engine not running. This allows me to cool the engine more quickly when it isn't running.
For fuel pumps, I certainly prefer my electric pump. I have something like a 300GPM pump with a return line to the tank. This ensures I have a constant pressure in the system at all times. Being mounted next to the tank, the return line was easier to accomplish. Also, I'm not sure what the fuel requirements of your engine are, but I don't think mechanical pumps can achieve the high GPM capability of some of the electric pumps. Mine is noisy, but worth it.

bubbletop409
10-16-2007, 10:28 PM
Fuel pump or water pump? I like electric everything.
For fuel pumps, I certainly prefer my electric pump. I have something like a 300GPM pump with a return line to the tank.
What are you running that requires 300GPM from a fuel pump? Perhaps a PT boat with 3 twelve cylinder Packards? :D

ck7684
10-17-2007, 04:23 AM
Look here and you can see how this Fiero mounted the water pump in an unorthadox way...
http://www.hotrodder.com/emarsh/
http://www.hotrodder.com/emarsh/images/wp_mounted.JPG

Wizard29
10-17-2007, 05:51 AM
What are you running that requires 300GPM from a fuel pump? Perhaps a PT boat with 3 twelve cylinder Packards? :D
My mistake, that would be GPH, not GPM. Was a little tired last night and still in work mode where I deal with pumps a lot larger than what goes on a car.
I went back and looked at my fuel pump specs and it is a 250 GPH pump. Adequate for a blown 632 with dual 950 blower carbs and flowing more than any mechanical pump I've seen.

js66chev
10-17-2007, 06:24 AM
Sorry for not clarifying,,,,the questions I have pertain to a electric water pump. I am running a electric fuel pump with a regulator. My engine is not as big but am running dual Carter 750 AFB's. I would imagine that by running a electric water pump that it would be running for the entire time the engine is running right?? which would help in cooling down the engine at a standstill.

Wizard29
10-17-2007, 07:13 AM
I would imagine that by running a electric water pump that it would be running for the entire time the engine is running right?? which would help in cooling down the engine at a standstill.
You can set it up however you want. You could set it to a temperature switch to turn on at a specific temperature, or you can set it to a manual switch where you can control it, or you can set it to the ignition where it runs any time the ignition is on. I have mine on a manual switch and I prefer it that way. Allows me to run it and the fan when the engine is off for quicker cooling after a run.
The electric water pump will run at a constant speed and flow while a mechanical pump will flow more when the engine is revved up. So, at a standstill with an electric pump you will see the same water flow and cooling capability (minus airflow from the vehicle moving) as you would driving down the road. Whether or not you will cool down at idle or heat up at idle depends on your engine and cooling system in general. Mine heats up at idle, which makes keeping the vehicle moving very important. You could see an entirely different situation.

bubbletop409
10-17-2007, 08:46 AM
My mistake, that would be GPH, not GPM. Was a little tired last night and still in work mode where I deal with pumps a lot larger than what goes on a car.
I went back and looked at my fuel pump specs and it is a 250 GPH pump. Adequate for a blown 632 with dual 950 blower carbs and flowing more than any mechanical pump I've seen.
I knew what you meant, and it was late at night, just havin some fun. ;)

Warp Factor
10-17-2007, 09:12 AM
I prefer belt-driven water pumps where space allows on a street motor.
I even managed to fit one on my V-8 Fiero! :D
Electrics are typically less reliable, and won't flow nearly the water volume that a mechanical will at high rpm.
I think Stewart claimed that their big-block belt drive water pump free-flows 50 gpm. No electric comes close.

blown 600ci
10-17-2007, 03:32 PM
I prefer cam-driven water pump my.02

Shadow1
10-18-2007, 09:04 AM
Hi Guys, this is for my car....66 chevelle with a blown 402 bbc with a 6-71. Its underdriven but still pulls out 600 horses. I mainly drive it on the street and to shows.
I have done extensive test with and without thermostats on street driven blower motors and found by removing the thermostat and running NO restrictor the motor runs alot cooler.
I also run the water pump pulley 30% overdrive by running a smaller then stock pulley to increase cooling.
Removing the thermostat and the housing wide open makes a big difference.

10-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Meziere makes a few remote pumps that you may want to check out. They have one style that has a bulkhead mount and another that mounts directly to the radiator. They come in 20, 35, and 55GPM versions and last 2500 to 3000 hours.
Just my .02 Good Luck!