PDA

View Full Version : my bowl

cyclone
02-14-2003, 03:30 PM
just picked up my bowl from Jack and dropped it off at the powder coaters. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/tn_bowlveins_detailed2.JPG

HBjet
02-14-2003, 03:31 PM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/bowlveins_detailed2.JPG

cyclone
02-14-2003, 03:31 PM
http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/bowlexitdetailed.JPG

HBjet
02-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Nice! did you see mine there?

Jake W
02-14-2003, 03:52 PM
MPD does a kick ass job.My bowl came back way better tham the mess I sent in.I have been thinking about sending in my G bowl for the 79 Kachina project.Jake

93eliminator
02-14-2003, 03:59 PM
looks like another fine masterpiece :)

Heatseeker
02-14-2003, 06:20 PM
Looks nice!
I am dropping off the bowl from the Heatseeker to Walt's ***boat Service tomorrow. It'll be interesting to compare the work afterwards.

Jake W
02-15-2003, 07:51 PM
Hear is a pic of my 9 vein Aggressor bowl Jack at MPD flowed and put a stuffer in.Jake http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/020_20.JPG
[ February 15, 2003, 07:58 PM: Message edited by: Jake W ]

JetBoatRich
02-15-2003, 08:22 PM
bowl:
[ February 16, 2003, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: JetBoatRich ]

ChetCapoli
02-15-2003, 08:27 PM
I'll admit that some nice work on those bowls... what does something like that cost?? See how much nicer that stuffer is there HB?? Bet you can't show me a berk stuffer that nice. Another reason i chose aggressor.
FYI, heatseeker I've seen a bowl walt did for $200 and it sure doesnt look anything like those do. Looks like walt spent 15minutes on it tops.
CHET

Jake W
02-15-2003, 08:30 PM
And a pic of the back side.Jake http://free.***boat.net/ubb/Avatars/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/009_091.JPG
[ February 15, 2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: Jake W ]

Jake W
02-15-2003, 08:36 PM
Chet the Berk Stuffer does look nice it is billit alum it not only closes up the center at all so takes up the space infront of the impeller to bowl lip .CP Preformance has pics of them.Jake
[ February 15, 2003, 08:54 PM: Message edited by: Jake W ]

ChetCapoli
02-16-2003, 07:42 AM
Too bad it it's an extra $175 dollar part plus labor to make it fit the berkeley and is standard on the one you have. All that adds up after awhile dont ya think?
CHET
[ February 16, 2003, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: ChetCapoli ]

HammerDown
02-16-2003, 08:04 AM
Damm that Aggressor Bowl looks, dare I say it....Aggressive eek! . I like
Ya dont here to much about stuffers anymore, wonder why?

SQUIRRELY
02-16-2003, 08:27 AM
I've had pump work done by walt,Jacks work looks really good.I've seen some things on the pic.of jacks work that now i wish walt would have done to mine. :confused:

hack job
02-16-2003, 09:56 AM
HBjet:
Nice! did you see mine there? what about mine?
lots of bowls down there right now it would seem. wink

wfodude
02-16-2003, 08:21 PM
just a question....I have used extrude hone on sprint car heads ...it's some sweet shit. Has anyone tried it on their bowl? It seems like it would make a world of difference

BrendellaJet
02-16-2003, 08:51 PM
wfodude:
just a question....I have used extrude hone on sprint car heads ...it's some sweet shit. Has anyone tried it on their bowl? It seems like it would make a world of difference I've been thinking the same thing.

HBjet
02-16-2003, 09:25 PM
ChetCapoli:
I'll admit that some nice work on those bowls...See Chet, Jack can't be all that bad right?
ChetCapoli:
See how much nicer that stuffer is there HBThat Aggressor bowl sure "Cleans Up" nice after Jack has worked on it. As for the stuffer, yeah, that purple anodize makes it look really trick!
Happy Chet?
HBjet

HotHallet
02-18-2003, 01:27 PM
This is unrelated to pump work but Jake W where did you get those tie down hooks for your trailer? They look like they bolt-on. I am looking into putting something on the outside of the back beam so I do not have to hook my tie downs underneath.

Shmoolie
02-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Jack's got my bowl down there also, along with the SS A impeller and the DPS. The guy does amazing work.
I'll add some pics to this thread when I pick them up.

jacuzer
02-18-2003, 08:55 PM
Extrude honing will clean up the inside nicely but if that is all you do, you miss out on the the shaping of the vanes that Jack does.
Go back and look at the pictures again. You can really see the vane shape better in the back side picture of the Berkeley.
The Aggressor Stuffer is different than the MPD stuffer. The Aggressor is used to fill the void(instead of water) directly behind the impeller so that you aren't spinning the water(parasitic power loss?) The MPD stuffer fills the gap between the back of the impeller and bowl, mainly to improve flow.
Kevin

ChetCapoli
02-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Interesting kevin....might you have a picture of this mpd stuffer???? My gap between bowl and impeller measures .050 with stuffer, untouched it had .110, i'd say that's as close to improving flow as you can get for a factory piece.
Now what does all this bowl flow work,stuffer install and vein thinning gain in a lake boat besides looking pretty and making you feel good?? If your in the quarter where every little bit helps i could see it but on the lake are you really going to notice with small to moderate HP??? Sounds like alot of money to spend for a small result.
CHET

jacuzer
02-18-2003, 11:15 PM
I don't have a picture of the stuffer so you will have to use your imagination. Take a look at the inside of the Berkeley bowl (picture above). The 4 small screw holes on the inside ring there are the mounting for the stuffer. That means the stuffer outside diameter is the same as that ring outside diameter, result:better flow. The MPD stuffer also closes the gap between the bowl and impeller.
Now look at the aggressor stuffer. It is mounted inside the ring, therefore not improving flow but indeed filling the void as I explained before. Your .05" created a bit more (seal?) than before which is what they were trying for I believe.
As for the money vs performance boost... It's usually the last thing you do to increase the performance of your jet other than testing testing & more testing. I don't think anyone here is claiming something unreasonable, like an 8 MPH gain, but every little bit helps.
As for the money spent, that is each owner's opinion on what is excessive. A lot of guys want the assurance that their pump is not going to be the weak point in their setup. What price do you put on peace of mind???
Kevin

cyclone
02-19-2003, 01:01 PM
Chet- the reason for all the pump work and shaping the veins is to make the pump as efficient as possible. I wanted to make the pump work as good as possible so that i could concentrate on other areas of my setup in the quest for more speed. Of course you dont have to spend the money for all of this work and none of it is a necessity. its all about what you're willing to spend and how fast you desire to go. You should know this already.

Jake W
02-19-2003, 04:42 PM
HotHallet it is a Compitive trailor and they were on it when I bought it used.But I think, I have seen them dare I say it at Wallmart with the trailor lights and stuff.Jake

ChetCapoli
02-19-2003, 09:25 PM
jacuzer:
The 4 small screw holes on the inside ring there are the mounting for the stuffer. That means the stuffer outside diameter is the same as that ring outside diameter, result:better flow. The MPD stuffer also closes the gap between the bowl and impeller.
Now look at the aggressor stuffer. It is mounted inside the ring, therefore not improving flow but indeed filling the void as I explained before.I would think that's because all that is being done to that berkeley bowl is already done to the aggressor factory. That stuffer is "inside" the ring because the viens and "ring" is already forward to begin with. The berkeley is not thus needing that thick stuffer to make up the gap and "improve flow" as you call it. The back of my impeller is .050 away from the ring and that little "flush" area of stuffer that is "inside" that you see. It rides right there. What does all this bowl flowing and stuffer installation cost down at MPD if someone could be kind enough to tell???
A lot of guys want the assurance that their pump is not going to be the weak point in their setup. What price do you put on peace of mind???
Kevin That "assurance" is a flowed bowl and a stuffer??? I would say you would have better piece of mind spending the money on a rideplate/shoe combo dont ya think?? If you dont have enough water at the right places what good is a fancy bowl going to do??
CHET

Jake W
02-20-2003, 05:10 AM
Chet I all ready have a rideplate shoe droop wedges loader grate.So what is left a flow and stuffer.(Well and inducer)I will tell you how much I paid 150 to get it flowed and 86 bucks for the stuffer.And Chet the stuffer does not all ways go right in.On some of the Aggressor bowls the holes are off.Jake PS my dam Avatar is not showing up pn this new site.

jacuzer
02-21-2003, 09:20 AM
Chet,
Most people that are spending money on flowing a bowl already have the shoe & rideplate. That's why I said "it's one of the last things you do" on my earlier post.
As for the stuffer... Your stuffer does not extend to the outside of the ring so even if it closes up the gap from .110" to .050" it is not improving flow. The gap that is presented to the flow is still .110".
Kevin

ChetCapoli
02-21-2003, 08:57 PM
jacuzer:
As for the stuffer... Your stuffer does not extend to the outside of the ring so even if it closes up the gap from .110" to .050" it is not improving flow. The gap that is presented to the flow is still .110".
Kevin From what i gather kevin you are not familiar with an aggr bowl??...the viens are closer to the back of the impeller by design....thus improving flow...thus having a stuffer like the one in the picture above. The part on the berk stuffer(bolts to ring) your refering to is already part of the aggressor bowl to begin with. Like a "thick" ring so to speak. Modeling clay does wonders when matching your impeller, bowl, and stuffer btw.
CHET

Jake W
02-22-2003, 06:57 AM
Does any one know how much it would be to get the inside of the bowl hard inodised?Jake

jacuzer
02-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Chet,
Yes I am familiar with Aggressor bowls. Yes your .110 is closer than other bowls stock...but not optimum. Still, pretty good for a production piece.
Kevin