PDA

View Full Version : Which Impeller

jimsride
06-03-2002, 11:42 AM
I'm new to this board, give me a little love guys. I asked earlier about impellers, I have 18ft Biesemeyerw/legend jet, mild BBC gen6, hotter chev roller cam, headers, performer and holley 750. It runs about 5500 rpm now, I have an AB impeller. I like acceleration, not necesarily top speed. LVJetboy sounds like he knows what hge is talking about, I just didn't quite follow.

flat broke
06-03-2002, 12:32 PM
Relatively easy to answer question. Take your dyno sheet and overlay it onto the impeller charts found at http://www.liquidaddiction.net/impeller.html and grab the biggest impeller you can that doesn't intersect too far down on your RPM from your dyno sheet. Basically if you like leaving harder than having top speed numbers move to a larger impeller than what you have. Not knowing what you specifically want out of the boat makes it harder to answer the question. Since I think LV even had an 18' Biesemeyer at one point in time, he might remember what he was running and how it worked.
Good luck,
Chris

Bense468
06-03-2002, 12:54 PM
I have an 18' Biesemeyer and I am running a AA it comes out real hard. Spinning 5100 looking for 5500 when the motor goes back together. We will see.
[This message has been edited by Bense468 (edited June 03, 2002).]

HBjet
06-03-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Bense468:
I have an 18' Biesemeyer and I am running a AA it comes out real hard. Spinning 5100 looking for 5500 when the motor goes back together. We will see.
Bense, what power are you running again? Because an AA for a 18' boat you would need some serious power to spin it at 5100 RPM. I have a 19' boat, no serious power, and I'm spinning a B at 5100-5200 RPM. When was your last pump rebuild?
HBjet

wrightnow
06-03-2002, 03:13 PM
HBjet, Is 5100-5200 rpm an improvement from last year?

HBjet
06-03-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by wrightnow:
HBjet, Is 5100-5200 rpm an improvement from last year?
Well, last year I was around 5000-5100, but I also realized this last trip out, my RPM guage is acting funny, I don't think it's very accurate.
HBjet

77charger
06-03-2002, 04:21 PM
5500 for an a-b sounds a little high unless you have some good power.If the pump is tight then you have good power and a, b cut will only run a little higher and maybe a litlle gain.Hb jet you have to remember with the blueprinting your rpm will be lower than without it so your rpm could be right.shit mine lost 400 from bowl and a complete impeller detail same speed though.

INFINITEJJ
06-06-2002, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by HBjet:
Well, last year I was around 5000-5100, but I also realized this last trip out, my RPM guage is acting funny, I don't think it's very accurate.
HBjet
Must be going around, just rebuilt my motor over the winter to a "no serious power" 460. Now I am turning a Berkley "B" to 5100 from 4600 RPM, My guage is acting a little funny also, maybe it doesn't like change? Gonna have to check it out.
JON

froggystyle
06-06-2002, 10:14 PM
You guys better define "good power" because I am spinning an "A" at 5500 with a medium motor build.

flat broke
06-07-2002, 07:57 AM
Froggy,
You've gotta be turning around 625hp with your mill. Now consider 625 from say a NA 460 or 454, would you not call that good power? Everything is relative. For the bigger CI mills 625 is an okay number or even a starting point for the guys with the 540s. For those of us with less than 500 CI, 600+ is good power for the level of cash and work most of us have in our mills. The reality of the situation is that the "average" jet boat probably has around 400-425hp. So once again 600hp would be a big improvement. Don't take this negatively. Your boat does the exact same things I want mine to do when I'm done with it(minus the stereo then add about 7 mph http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif ) But since I'm one of the small cube guys I figgured I'd chime in with my take on it. In my mind, a 454/460 making an honest 600hp below 5500 consitutes good power. That 600 HP in a decent 18' shallow v hull is going to be worth 70-low 80s with decent setup. Once again that is far above the average for jetboats as a whole and would be considered good performance. Not the fastest kid on the block, but you also didn't spend 20k on a motor. Once again, I'm not dissing anyone, just giving my take one the definition of "good" power relative to recreational jetboats.
Chris

TX19
06-08-2002, 08:23 AM
Flat Broke,
I agree with you about the horsepower most jet boats run. I would consider 600 "reliable" horsepower the upper end for a stock stroke BBC or BBF - especially on 93 octane fuel. I define reliable as an engine that will last several seasons without a rebuild.
Maybe I am relating to what I see in my area, but an 18-19' boat spinning a Berkley / Dominator A at 5500 rpm will be showing rooster tails to most jet boats around here.
Just my opinion.

jimsride
06-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I would say 600 hp is out of the cash reach for a lot of guys, me included. So the basic question , I did look at the impeller,hp chart, but what is it telling me? If i have a AB impeller now and want harder acceleration which way do you go? To an A or to a B? Or something in between?Its a stock legend.

rivercrazy
06-08-2002, 05:01 PM
I'd start with an A. You can always turn it down to an AB for little $$$. An A will leave a little harder than a B and cruise at lower RPM's making your motor last a little longer

Bense468
06-08-2002, 06:39 PM
I had it set up tight last year. I droped about 350 rpm. I am running some good power and the last time I ran it it was 5100 on a AA. I am going with some more hopefully. We will see. Yeah randy you are running a B right with a pretty stock motor? That sounds about right. My buddy is running 4900 on an A in the same boat you have. Pretty stock 454.

HBjet
06-08-2002, 08:21 PM
Bense468, what mph is your friend seeing with his setup, and yours? I haven't GPS'd my boat yet, but I will next time out (crossing my fingers too) http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
HBjet

HBjet
06-08-2002, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by froggystyle:
You guys better define "good power" because I am spinning an "A" at 5500 with a medium motor build.
You better define "Medium Motor Build" then!
HBjet

flat broke
06-09-2002, 09:09 AM
You better define "Medium Motor Build" then!
HBjet
You know, "medium". Somewhere between a $3500 BBC and a $20,000 blown 540. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
Chris

77charger
06-09-2002, 10:18 AM
I guess my motor is way below medium then.!

Bense468
06-09-2002, 02:15 PM
I am not sure randy. Neither of us have been been around a gps to try it. I would bet he (my buddy) is running around 65-68. He had through trasom logs and now he just put a set of headers and gained a few R's so I would bet 69-or 70 somewhere right in there. I am probably running close to 80 if not a little more. I ran a guy last year that claimed he was running 78 on gps and his boat sounded pretty good. He was running an ab impellar and I pulled him out of the hole hard and kept pulling on him. I would say I was about 5 or 7 mph faster then him. I would say it is a mild built motor. Just like froggy said. Its not stock but its not pro stock either. It sounds healthy and runs strong. If I had a faster hull then I could probably squeeze high eighties or very low 90's. I am pretty positive that your bottom is faster then mine. I just think your boats run pretty good with pretty stock setups. As you know I want a gullwing and was thinking about NJBA racing (with a new motor) but have decided to just keep a nice river boat. So if I get one it will be layed up heavier then 390 lbs.

HBjet
06-09-2002, 03:46 PM
I am not sure randy. Neither of us have been been around a gps to try it. I would bet he (my buddy) is running around 65-68. He had through trasom logs and now he just put a set of headers and gained a few R's so I would bet 69-or 70 somewhere right in there. I am probably running close to 80 if not a little more. I ran a guy last year that claimed he was running 78 on gps and his boat sounded pretty good. He was running an ab impellar and I pulled him out of the hole hard and kept pulling on him. I would say I was about 5 or 7 mph faster then him. I would say it is a mild built motor. Just like froggy said. Its not stock but its not pro stock either. It sounds healthy and runs strong. If I had a faster hull then I could probably squeeze high eighties or very low 90's. I am pretty positive that your bottom is faster then mine. I just think your boats run pretty good with pretty stock setups. As you know I want a gullwing and was thinking about NJBA racing (with a new motor) but have decided to just keep a nice river boat. So if I get one it will be layed up heavier then 390 lbs.
Well, bring that bad boy out to OP6C and we'll pair up in the morning! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
HBjet

77charger
06-09-2002, 05:29 PM
now you guys are going to force me into taking two nos bottles just to keep sight of you two.dont for get mine is a tiny 429 bbf.and a bigger hull.
for me it's all in fun though.

Bense468
06-10-2002, 01:24 PM
as for me it is all in fun. I don't think I am going to be able to make it Randy. I have a lot going on right now. I thought I was going to make it but it does not look that way. I wish I was. First of all when is it again? Second of all my motor is still apart. My pump is out of my boat. If I do show it will probably be with a friend in his boat. If you want to run them when it is back together and everything I have going on is taken care of then I have no problems with that. I want to meet up with you guys at the river anyway. I may just may be selling my hull though and if that happens then I will be stuck with my dads ultra for the summer and will have a CP for next.

HBjet
06-10-2002, 01:48 PM
All in fun here too! I just wanted to see how much your boat pulls over mine with your motor upgrade. If your buddy it there, and you said we have the same hulls, and basically the same motor, I'll pair up with him, for fun. OP6CIII is the weekend of June 22. in Parker.
Try to make it out.
HBjet

Bense468
06-10-2002, 01:53 PM
I am going to try. I am going out next weekend. to Havasu and will try to make it out. Yes same hull. You probably have a mph or 2 on my buddy. If you are running 72.

rivercrazy
06-10-2002, 01:57 PM
I want for a ride in his boat a few weeks ago. 72 sounds a "little" slow.
I am going to try. I am going out next weekend. to Havasu and will try to make it out. Yes same hull. You probably have a mph or 2 on my buddy. If you are running 72.

HBjet
06-10-2002, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy:
I want for a ride in his boat a few weeks ago. 72 sounds a "little" slow.
Shish!
haha! J/K

Bense468
06-10-2002, 03:44 PM
Randy. I know you are up to something because a while back you posted a pic. I asked you if you put new heads on and you did not answer. I think you did as a matter of fact I am sure you did. I saw the paint on the springs. I don't think you would put money in to your small port heads. I am not sure what you are up to. First off I could care less if you can beat my friend. Second off what I posted was what I was running last year. Like I said motor is down. I am happy if your boat is running good. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Bense468
06-10-2002, 03:46 PM
Oh and you thought my pump was shot. Wonder why you thought that. Is it because I am spinning more R's with an AA then you with a B? I think thats the problem MY TOLERANCES ARE NOT ALL THERE ANYMORE. Hmmmm. LOL

bp
06-10-2002, 05:20 PM
hb, why go to parker the 22? why not just come to b'field? and, bring that badboy along; i'll run ya with my B... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

HBjet
06-10-2002, 05:21 PM
Bense468, to tell you the truth, I have no idea what my boat will do. I will GPS it at OP6CIII to see what it does. I'm going to GPS it with just me, and then with one person, anchor, and cooler on board to see the difference. I didn't buy new springs this year, I bought them last year.
HBjet

HBjet
06-10-2002, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by bp:
hb, why go to parker the 22? why not just come to b'field? and, bring that badboy along; i'll run ya with my B... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
BP, your way faster then me, I know, I talk to JackMc. Besides, I'm hosting OP6CIII, so I kinda have to be there. Let us know how you do at B'field, and when your sitting on the rope, sweating your butt off in your driving suit and helmet, think of me at Parker strip, boating and jumping in the water cooling offffff, and I'll think if you bud! haha! Really, Good Luck & be safe!
HBjet

Bense468
06-11-2002, 11:29 AM
Cool So what have you done that is making it faster then last year? Sorry if I threw out a number. I thought you had said you ran about 72 before I don't know where that came from. I am not talking shit because I still like your boat. I would take it without the tunnel ram though. I am just one of those guys that don't like dealing with dual carbs unless you have to. Meaning pushing serious HP. I would be intrested in seeing what the difference would be with my motor in my hull vs my motor in your hull. I keep telling my buddy his bottom is faster then mine. I just know that they are pretty nice boats. My uncle had a liberty and I always had a blast in it. Anyway good luck. Looks like I am going to the river this weekend and then going back thursday night of next week and will be in Havasu for the next weekend. Might have to drive down with some buddies to say hi and hang out one night or something.

HBjet
06-11-2002, 03:28 PM
I am just one of those guys that don't like dealing with dual carbs unless you have to. Meaning pushing serious HP.
There is nothing wrong with dual carbs when ther dialed in. I had some problems before I took them to DNE. Last year he set up each carb on the motor and dialed everything in. All year long, I didn't have to touch a thing, and I had no problems. You not suppose to be having problems with your carbs. If they are setup right THE FIRST TIME then you have no worries. I just don't understand why people thing dual carbs are such a mess.
Bense468, there is nothing new with my boat, except the interior, and rail kit. Other then that, nothing new! I'm running dual 450's for carbs and the throttle response is bitchin!
HBjet

Bense468
06-11-2002, 05:15 PM
So why would it be any faster? Because of throttle response. Are you running a flex plate or are you running a stardard flywheel? Oh and I agree with you on having them set up right the first time. Unfortunally I really am not that great with carbs. Wish I knew a little more. My runs really good to

rivercrazy
06-11-2002, 06:47 PM
Bense468, there is nothing new with my boat, except the interior, and rail kit. Other then that, nothing new! I'm running dual 450's for carbs and the throttle response is bitchin!
HBjet
[/B]
Are you sure the heads didn't come off for some odd reason???

HBjet
06-11-2002, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by rivercrazy:
Are you sure the heads didn't come off for some odd reason???
I didn't say that, I just said there is nothing new on my boat but the interior and rail kit.
Bense468, I'm not saing I'm faster with dual carbs, I was pointing out that I have dual 450's and because of the smaller carbs, my throttle response is bitchin. Oh, it's a flex plate. I don't know why you would need a flywheel!
HBjet
[This message has been edited by HBjet (edited June 12, 2002).]

rivercrazy
06-12-2002, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HBjet:
[b]new
[This message has been edited by rivercrazy (edited June 12, 2002).]

Bense468
06-12-2002, 12:09 PM
I know dual carbs are not going to make you faster. Oh and when I meant new I meant new to you boat the heads could have been used. Get what I am saying. So did you buy a used set of heads which are new to you or your boat? This is like pulling teeth.

rivercrazy
06-12-2002, 12:33 PM
ROFLMAO! http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
I know dual carbs are not going to make you faster. Oh and when I meant new I meant new to you boat the heads could have been used. Get what I am saying. So did you buy a used set of heads which are new to you or your boat? This is like pulling teeth.

HBjet
06-12-2002, 12:53 PM
Did I mention I got new interior, and rail kit?
HBjet

canuck1
06-12-2002, 03:45 PM
Nice dodgin HB

MissHBjet
06-12-2002, 09:18 PM
Did you guys see the new bad ass foot pedal HBjet installed in his boat to???
MissHBjet
[This message has been edited by MissHBjet (edited June 12, 2002).]

HBjet
06-12-2002, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by MissHBjet:
Did you guys see the new bad ass foot pedal HBjet installed in his boat to???
You mean this one?
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/footpedel.JPG
I heard it makes my boat faster. Oh, and having the diverter housing coated also makes the rooster tail higher......that's what I heard!
HBjet

jweeks123
06-12-2002, 11:31 PM
HB, if you heard it on the Net it's gotta be true.
jw

revndave
06-13-2002, 06:52 AM
WHAT TIME IS PAIRING UP?

bp
06-14-2002, 06:27 PM
hb, that's a way faster lookin' foot pedal than i have. i think ya really oughtta bring that bad boy to b'field, and come play on the rope with us geezers... http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

77charger
06-14-2002, 06:35 PM
Looks like it will keep his foot from moving under all that high speed and acceleration!

LVjetboy
06-15-2002, 10:39 AM
Hey, I'll race you HB http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif
http://users.lvcm.com/lvjetboy/loudpedal.jpg
We must be running the same speed http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif Oh, wait, mine's still spread all over the garage...my bad.

Blown Sleek
06-19-2002, 10:21 AM
Hey I have the same peddle but what are the little springs for on the bottom? Mine just coasts off the trailer and I push on it once and CRUISE controle is set!

LVjetboy
06-20-2002, 12:03 AM
I think it's there to help exercise your right calf muscle. Like a built-in bow flex in a pedal.