PDA

View Full Version : weiand

468miller
10-16-2007, 05:37 PM
hey guys i acquired a brand new weiand tunnel ram intake with single carb adapter for a 454 and realizes its square port and my heads are oval, should i sell it and get another intake or get new heads, whats the intake worth.....:idea: :idea: :idea:

McIntyrelocal
10-16-2007, 05:46 PM
run it,just use square port gaskets it wont hurt anything but performance wise unless you have a ton of horse power and turn over 6000 rpm square ports wont help any the manifold is probably worth 300 -350 used.

468miller
10-16-2007, 05:55 PM
so i should just run it, its on a fairly stock 454 w a cam:idea:

McIntyrelocal
10-16-2007, 06:03 PM
it wont give u any performance but it wont hurt u if you like the look or something. tunnel rams and square port head only benefit u if you turning at least 6000 rpms but you can still use the manifold with your heads if you had square port heads and a oval manifold it wouldnt be recomended but with what u have it wont hurt anything.

SmokinLowriderSS
10-16-2007, 06:16 PM
hey guys i acquired a brand new weiand tunnel ram intake with single carb adapter for a 454 and realizes its square port and my heads are oval, should i sell it and get another intake or get new heads, whats the intake worth.....:idea: :idea: :idea:
Trade it for a good Torker or (better) a Performer RPM Air Gap, and go fasater, unless you can spin over 6-grand like said above.
I have seen virtually everyone on here who has TRIED a single-4-barrell tunnel ram have nightmares trying to get the end cylinders to not be lean while the center 4 are rich as hell. Lousy mixture distribution from a single-4 atop a TR designed for 2-4's.

pw_Tony
10-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Torker? lol...
My father runs a square port tunnel ram on oval port heads. The tunnel ram looks cool, but I don't think it hurts performance that much

QuickJet
10-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Take the single carb adapter and use it for a tire Chaulk. Bolt on the dual carb dealio with some carbs, upgrade the cam and go have some fun.

ol guy
10-16-2007, 06:58 PM
Don't know what carb you plan on setting on the tunnel but to make them work on the bottom GET LARGE SQUIRTERS the volume of that manifold requires alot of fuel to atomize, or fill the void of air. If you like to learn about tuning It will be a challenge. Just remember you have more than doubled the plenum space and the carb and fuel half to keep up. I have played with them and they will give alittle more to the top RPM but when you hammer at the bottom the air creates a big bog so send it food to go along. Mark

RCB19
10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Take the single carb adapter and use it for a tire Chaulk. Bolt on the dual carb dealio with some carbs, upgrade the cam and go have some fun.
Yep! Fuel distribution on that single Weiand setup is horrible. Badly matched ports isn't a plus either. I'd stay with what you have now or bust out for a RPM Air Gap like Smokey said.

468miller
10-16-2007, 07:10 PM
ill just buy an rpm performer, my dad says that would be the way to go.......:D

RCB19
10-16-2007, 07:18 PM
ill just buy an rpm performer, my dad says that would be the way to go.......:D
Your dad is a wise man.

468miller
10-16-2007, 07:20 PM
everything he tells me works, i just never listen the first time........:jawdrop: :jawdrop: :D :D :D

steelcomp
10-16-2007, 07:23 PM
The TR will work fine with a pair of small carbs, but don't even bother with the single four set up. It's worth more at an alum. recycle center. If you don't want to bother with the dual carbs, get a small single plane int like the Victor Jr. There's no reason to run a dual plane on a jet.

468miller
10-16-2007, 07:25 PM
thanks for savin me a headache guys.................;)