PDA

View Full Version : bad pump =bad motor ?

FOMOCO76
09-05-2003, 02:27 AM
Finally tore my pump apart found that the front bearings outer race is split in half . The impeller's wear surface has been worn back aprox. 1/8 inch . My question is , could this be the reason my motor tore up the main bearings . I tore up the center 3 bearings and spun a cam bearing . Just wondering if this all could be related .If so how can I keep this from happening again , 460 Ford 500 hp with a jaccuzzi yj , A impeller with energizer kit .

HammerDown
09-05-2003, 02:32 AM
You bet...with a bad Thrust Bearing as you had, the Impeller wants to now push foward on the Crank Shaft. The Crank is now taking the pressure that the (THRUST) Bearing is ment to take eek! ...NOT GOOD!
[ September 05, 2003, 03:33 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

BiggusJimbus
09-05-2003, 05:58 AM
You also need to make certain that you have enough clearance with the coupler and the pump shaft. If you are pushing dead against it, you are adding a lot of a variety of bad forces to the driveline.

Squirtcha?
09-05-2003, 08:47 AM
HammerDown:
You bet...with a bad Thrust Bearing as you had, the Impeller wants to now push foward on the Crank Shaft. The Crank is now taking the pressure that the (THRUST) Bearing is ment to take eek! ...NOT GOOD! I had a thrust bearing go out when I first bought the boat, 5 years ago. I didn't realize what other problems could result and just had the pump rebuilt. Two seasons ago I had the motor rebuilt and the crankshaft had to have a thrust repair done to it (they had to build up the end of it, and machine it back to spec). I can't say for sure, but I suspect that the bad thrust bearing and improper clearance between the pump and crankshaft was a player if not the cause of the problem.

pops1
09-05-2003, 08:54 AM
HammerDown:
You bet...with a bad Thrust Bearing as you had, the Impeller wants to now push foward on the Crank Shaft. The Crank is now taking the pressure that the (THRUST) Bearing is ment to take eek! ...NOT GOOD! Also add one more time-"LIPPED WEAR RING"
Non Lipped- Is the MFGs best salesman for new suctions also!. Sorry about your problems. frown

Squirtcha?
09-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Good point pops. Forgot to mention I got to the repairs quick-like and even so............my impeller had almost worn through the shouldered wear ring. Reckon I got lucky on that one.