PDA

View Full Version : got a new berk how do I know if it needs rebuilt?

H20MOFO
10-16-2007, 07:00 PM
The id tag says it's an a impeller,the impeller is stamped a "aa" and someone has painted a-b. any way it looks pretty good how do you check clearance between the impellor and the wear ring? I'd like to try to rebuild myself if need be, what should I look for? (split bowl) Thanks Kreg. oh and the orig owner claims it's been balanced and bluprinted for what thats worth.

H20MOFO
10-16-2007, 07:21 PM
Used,not new,(new to me). Any special tools needed to rebuild a berk?

jetboatperformance
10-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Kreg ,two basic ways to tell the "health" of the jet, performance eg RPM vs speed etc (if its still in the boat) or if its out to take it apart the do visual and measuring, post up pics when you get it apart ! re special tools ,its really helpfull to have the "socket" and Impeller puller but it will usually come apart without them call if you need help Tom

H20MOFO
10-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Thanks Tom. I like to be hands on when i can. But if it requires spec tools i'm not going to buy them for just 1 time. I guess i can bolt it on and see if she goes or blows. haha:D

GAWnCA
10-16-2007, 09:01 PM
special tools ,its really helpfull to have the "socket" and Impeller puller but it will usually come apart without them call if you need help Tom
Well, mine didn't come apart and the tools showed up late this afternoon. Tomorrow will tell. Those are some husky tools and look to be well built. Glad I got them just in case there are more jets in my future. They ain't cheap but well worth not having a headache over the problem.
By the way, are the new impeller nuts different than when this Jetovator was made? - Greg

GAWnCA
10-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Thanks Tom. I like to be hands on when i can. But if it requires spec tools i'm not going to buy them for just 1 time. I guess i can bolt it on and see if she goes or blows. haha:D
H2O - the total for the 2 tools runs a little over $200.00. Impeller nut socket $72.99 Impeller puller $129.99. I figure I'll just put them in the tool box and then if I ever need them, I'll have them.

DelawareDave
10-17-2007, 03:12 AM
H2O - the total for the 2 tools runs a little over $200.00. Impeller nut socket $72.99 Impeller puller $129.99. I figure I'll just put them in the tool box and then if I ever need them, I'll have them.
I made my own socket. Brand new at Sears and Sawbucks- $22 or so, cut in half, weld a piece of pipe in to make it longer. I also just picked up a wrench at a yard sale for about a dollar. Box end with an end to beat on with a hammer, just in case the socket and impact won't do the job.

GAWnCA
10-17-2007, 03:55 AM
I made my own socket. Brand new at Sears and Sawbucks- $22 or so, cut in half, weld a piece of pipe in to make it longer. I also just picked up a wrench at a yard sale for about a dollar. Box end with an end to beat on with a hammer, just in case the socket and impact won't do the job.
Dave, That's all well and good if you have the equipment to do the job or have the space. My buddy wanted to do the same thing but I figured I could get the tool and have the job done long before he would get around to doing the task of making one. Never know when I'll need the tools again, if ever. :) Greg

cave
10-17-2007, 04:28 AM
I rebuilt my own pump. The only tool I needed was the bearing extractor. The sleeve bearings in the bowl are tough to get out without the right tool. It was a piece of cake. Installing the new bearings was easy with the tool. Didnt need the impeller puller or any other special tools. Just the one to remove the bearings in the bowl. Got the tool and the bearing remover/installer from Rex Marine. Less than 80 bux. I know I'll use it again. Hopefully not to soon.

TJS
10-17-2007, 04:37 AM
If you are going to rebuild your own pump the best thing to do is get a Seloc Manual. It covers many pumps as well as Berks. I also made a puller and cut and welded a socket. It really is pretty straight forward.You can see this stuff on my Nordic Project in my signature.
T.J.

GAWnCA
10-17-2007, 05:24 AM
I rebuilt my own pump. The only tool I needed was the bearing extractor. The sleeve bearings in the bowl are tough to get out without the right tool. It was a piece of cake. Installing the new bearings was easy with the tool. Didnt need the impeller puller or any other special tools. Just the one to remove the bearings in the bowl. Got the tool and the bearing remover/installer from Rex Marine. Less than 80 bux. I know I'll use it again. Hopefully not to soon.
Well, my neighbor has a press and I found an old (Made in China) socket that fit the sleeve just right so we pressed it out. BUT, there is an insert the sleeves fit into and it came out too. It made it really nice to re-press the sleeves back in and get them flush on both ends. Then we just pressed the insert back into the bowl. Slipped in the seal and we were done. The tools for the impeller nut and impeller puller as well made and should last a long time... Even if you used them every day.

GAWnCA
10-17-2007, 05:28 AM
If you are going to rebuild your own pump the best thing to do is get a Seloc Manual. It covers many pumps as well as Berks. I also made a puller and cut and welded a socket. It really is pretty straight forward.You can see this stuff on my Nordic Project in my signature.
T.J.
Where do you find the book and since I'm only running a Berk is it worth it or is talking to Berk and the people on these forums a good solution. Wish I were set up to make my own tools. But then, I ask myself, is it worth my time and trouble to make or just buy. I guess I get that mentality from being int eh computer world too long - cheaper to buy new than to try to repair the old.

H20MOFO
10-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the tips,all.

earlbrown
10-17-2007, 07:20 AM
http://www.americanturbine.com/downloads/pdf/oh_manuals/berk_oh_manual.pdf

H20MOFO
10-17-2007, 07:34 AM
That was a sweet link, thank goodness for printers.

GAWnCA
10-17-2007, 09:50 AM
http://www.americanturbine.com/downloads/pdf/oh_manuals/berk_oh_manual.pdf
Earl, That is great! Thanks! :) Sure beats what Berkeley has on their web site. Greg

H20MOFO
10-17-2007, 05:15 PM
That was a killer link Earl. Any guess at my impeller,like i said the factory tag said an A, the impeller is stamped AA and then someone has painted AB?