PDA

View Full Version : Who's running the Place Rudder??

Mandelon
02-16-2003, 07:00 AM
I had one, but it met an unfortunate end, if you know what I mean... eek! Should I bother replacing it. Now its just a little nubby thing....I figured I could grind it a bit.
I honestly didn't notice any difference.
http://www.placediverter.com/media/parts.jpg

ChetCapoli
02-16-2003, 07:06 AM
If you didnt notice a difference dont bother with it. Hope that helps.
CHET
Now for my boy HB argue

Heatseeker
02-16-2003, 07:15 AM
I've never run the rudder. I removed it the day I brought my boat home.
I still have it, if you decide to replace your's. It's the smaller Place rudder.

Clown
02-16-2003, 07:29 AM
It gives you a little more control of the boat at idle speeds "But take that thing OFF "
Less friction in the water means more speed!.

TexasJet
02-16-2003, 07:35 AM
Hello to all. Just registered and this is my first post. I have the smaller rudder. It helps control at low speeds and when backing up. With the thin design I don't think it would cost any speed.

Clown
02-16-2003, 07:40 AM
TexasJet:
Hello to all. Just registered and this is my first post. I have the smaller rudder. It helps control at low speeds and when backing up. With the thin design I don't think it would cost any speed. Try and hold your finger in the water going 90mph
there is some friction. Then try all 5 fingers.

Mohavekid
02-16-2003, 10:24 AM
Heatseeker. I might be intertested in your rudder, how much are you looking to get out of it?
[ February 16, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Mohavekid ]

jeffro
02-16-2003, 10:37 AM
my boat won't go straight with a rudder. :rolleyes:
i can't imagine how bad it would be without one... jawdrop
laters
:cool:

JetBoatRich
02-16-2003, 11:52 AM
I run both with and without the rudder, I do feel more control with it on. Slow speeds is the main reason you may need it.

Beautiful Noise
02-16-2003, 12:05 PM
Isn't a Rudder like Training Wheel's :D Jet Boat's, Go Figure :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Steve

HammerDown
02-16-2003, 02:10 PM
At upper mph that smaller rudder is out of the water...where's the drag issue? My old Berk Jeto-vator had that big ol dorsal fin for a rudder, and I liked the controll it gave my Daytona going aginst a strong current in a no wake zone. Place diverter wants to much $$$ for that little piece of plastic, it should have come with the diverter anyhow, so I do with out.

Clown
02-16-2003, 02:32 PM
At upper mph that smaller rudder is out of the water...where's the drag issue?
I must be missing something here!
You mean that the nozzle is about 4-5 inch's out of the water??????
Its not that way on my boat.
:confused:

Mandelon
02-16-2003, 03:30 PM
Mine was aluminum not plastic. Well its still aluminum, its just a looooot smaller now. :rolleyes:

olds455jet
02-16-2003, 03:33 PM
the nozzle on my boat isnt out of the water either.

Beautiful Noise
02-16-2003, 03:36 PM
Mandelon:
looooot smaller now. :rolleyes [/QB]Sand & Rock's have away of grinding thing's down :rolleyes:
Steve

GlastronGuy
02-16-2003, 03:54 PM
It does help at slower speeds as everyone has said. I don't think you need it if you have separate throttle and bucket controls. With that set up you are able to go thru the no wake zones with more RPMs (better control) because you can keep the bucket more to the neutral side.

Sangster
02-16-2003, 03:54 PM
Must be a Jetboat Speed Secret....No prop, Small rudder, go Fast.....Got it.... idea idea

Jet Junk
02-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Is the v-drive forum slow today? :confused:
[ February 16, 2003, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Jet Junk ]

Banshee
02-16-2003, 04:30 PM
A had the large rudder on my tunnel with a droop and it made the boat real squirrelly at higher speeds so I cut a couple of inches off of it height wise and that helped but I think the boat is more fun to drive without it so that’s the way I run it now. I even cut the pin off that the rudder mounts to so it wouldn’t cause any drag.

Heatseeker
02-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Mohavekid:
Heatseeker. I might be intertested in your rudder, how much are you looking to get out of it? I'll let it go for $30 shipping included. If you're interested, send me a PM or an email.

1Bahnerjet
02-16-2003, 05:02 PM
A rudder can be handy. Say your heading down the lake at 50mph you get to end of lake and need to make a 180 degee turn, your in a jet just speed up a little but wait the motor just died (no gas?) now with a rudder you can still make some of that turn without rudder you can make none of that turn unless the shoreline knocks you around! :(
===========
Drive what you own and like what you Drive

Nubbs
02-16-2003, 06:19 PM
I have the small place rudder on mine. I think it helps me steer the boat at low speeds. Just my opinion.

77charger
02-16-2003, 07:29 PM
ChetCapoli:
If you didnt notice a difference dont bother with it. Hope that helps.
CHET
Now for my boy HB argue no offense chet but its about time you didnt start a cheerleader crusade and give some good advice. :D
As for the rudder i ran the large place rudder and i did gain full throttle stability(also had the missing intake skags rewelded on after having them missing for many years)so i dont know which helped but my boat did handle better after all the work i did and i dont care if the boat is slower with the large rudder and i am sure it aint much but have been told it is about 3 mph but for the first time i had a boat that went strait and turned sharply

rivercrazy
02-16-2003, 07:32 PM
I tried both sizes on my former 21 daycruiser. The small one was virually out of the water and the big one was maybe a few inches in the water. The big rudder was very effective for skiing because it kept the boat from being pulled around. Beyond that and docking/trailering, the small one was better

HammerDown
02-16-2003, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clown:
At upper mph that smaller rudder is out of the water...where's the drag issue?
I must be missing something here!
You mean that the nozzle is about 4-5 inch's out of the water??????
Its not that way on my boat.
:confused: [/QUOTE
You bet, on my 21 Daytona before I did the setback bump and the droop snoot with just the Berk Jet-o-vater the nozzle was way out of the water...now I'm talking extreme upper mph not at a cruse speed.
But now with the setback and droop...the water is just under the place diverter...about a few inches.

Beautiful Noise
02-16-2003, 09:41 PM
Jet Junk:
Is the v-drive forum slow today? :confused: No just having some FUN,Don't worry I'm sure your all Faster than me anyway's :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Steve