PDA

View Full Version : Jetaway as brakes question

Cavefish
10-17-2007, 07:24 AM
I was going to search for this info in the forum, but didn't find a search function so thought I would ask instead. Any insight would be appreciated.
Does your boats decelleration change with a Jetaway? I mean other than the motor locking up, just backing off the throttle, does the boat decellerate better, worse or no differently with a Jetaway? Do you get to keep any steering when you lose a driveline or motor?
I have a tunnel that I race in whitewater and am considering a Jetaway on the assumption that it would stop straight when I lose a driveline or motor instead of looping out as the boat gets down to 40 mph at the end of the "event".

IMPATIENT 1
10-17-2007, 07:33 AM
it'll sure help!

SmokinLowriderSS
10-17-2007, 03:54 PM
It should not make any difference unless the motor locks up. Then, it will allow the drive to free-wheel, allowing some water to pass thru and that should leave SOME small ammount of steering available.
Ask the creator of it for the best dope. http://hi-techperformance.com/Hi-Tech Performance. Duane OR Brian can answer any questions.

UBFJ #454
10-17-2007, 05:18 PM
The Jet-A-Way, being a clutch system, comes into play and functions on any significant shut down be it just a significant deceleration or, in the extreme case, motor lock up ...
I thought it only worked when the motor locked up until Duane, its Designer & Manufacturer, explained how it really functioned when we were working on our boat here in our shop. If you need to know more, I'd suggest you call Duane @ Hi-Tech Performance ... new # 1 (417) 858-8616.

bp
10-18-2007, 07:24 AM
I was going to search for this info in the forum, but didn't find a search function so thought I would ask instead. Any insight would be appreciated.
Does your boats decelleration change with a Jetaway? I mean other than the motor locking up, just backing off the throttle, does the boat decellerate better, worse or no differently with a Jetaway? Do you get to keep any steering when you lose a driveline or motor?
I have a tunnel that I race in whitewater and am considering a Jetaway on the assumption that it would stop straight when I lose a driveline or motor instead of looping out as the boat gets down to 40 mph at the end of the "event".
jesse, i never noticed any difference in decelleration with the jetaway than without it. i think it would work well, but you'd want to talk to duane, specifically for your application - wot for many miles. these things can tend to get fairly hot during extended running.

Cavefish
10-18-2007, 08:02 AM
Thank you all for the help! I will talk to Mr. Oblander, I had been thinking of trying one a few years ago and had talked to Duane, but didn't ask the right the questions.
Gotta, say I have been a lurker here for years and have learned an awful lot of stuff and different way of looking at some things.

Pops@Aggressor
10-18-2007, 09:03 AM
Jet Away is a mandatory Item on Go Fast Boats- Our Pumps are pre set up for them from the factory ( If 1 Guy is such) Yet we also do the same for pop off valve.
In a go fast boat you want both. The Jet Away will take the impact of a motor loss yet will do little to compensate for a flat vane impeller on shut down. It cannot begin to replace a pop off valve on necessary pump unload. It may or may not help some Yet in order to keep the boat from getting stupid or worse yet you need a pop off valve for safety sake.
#1 Jet Away big reason is it absorbes internal motor torque should a a motor go into a instant shut down for what ever reason. It absorbs the torgue and little or no torque will be transfered into the hull.
#2 It can provide a great way to run a quick motor check out by the nutral position when on the trailer. Note: This requires water to the wear ring surface thru any means available. At the Races you will see it done in some cases by a pump and a bucket of water. Its not recommended by Mfg's as water is the fluid used to lube the W/Ring surface on a jet. Some pumps are water lubed in the bowl Sleeves and this is a bigger problem. In all cases I would recommend this action be limited in time duration and never run them dry. Hope this helps.

Placecraft Dragstar
10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
A jetaway has alot of good reasons to run one. I have bought 3 of them in the last 2 years, if one is in your budget then get one.