PDA

View Full Version : What kind of boat did I buy???

Graymatter80
10-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the forum and the jet boat scene. I just bought what was described to me as a 1976 "Bonner Fantasy", 18.5'. The previous owner said this "Bonner" guy worked for Fantasy, then branched out on his own. The first three letters of the HIN are "FAN" which comes up in the database as Sparkman Marine, also known as Fantasy Boats in Santa Ana, CA. The whole time I was talking to the owner, I was thinking that maybe he had "Bonner" confused with "Bahner". Then the other day as I'm waxing it, I notice a barely legible name across the transom, long since painted over, which reads "Bahner Custom Boats, Santa Ana, CA". I was under the impression that Bahner didn't start making boats until 1977. The hull shape kind of suggests a Bahner, but like I said, I'm new to the jet boat scene. Any input you knowledgable folks can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!
http://a953.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/114/l_d36f91462eb051add6021e9743445948.jpg
http://a545.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/17/l_5c5ae6c44027e1c641a29338d51f8820.jpg
http://a300.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/45/l_a1e00e54040f81f671ff4368bf1acb9b.jpg
Part 2 entitled "What the hell is wrong with my motor" to come later.
Thanks!!

Longstr
10-17-2007, 09:57 AM
This may help...
http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_database.htm

pw_Tony
10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
I believe they're the same as a Southwind.

pro53
10-17-2007, 10:04 AM
Cool Lookin Boat :d

85CARRIBEAN
10-17-2007, 10:10 AM
I ''THINK'' you meant.....Bahner, not ''BONNER''! LOL. Nice buy. Good luck with that.

El Prosecutor
10-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Congrats on a nice boat. That is an unusual transom adapter too. Anyone else seen one like that?

kcsteck
10-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Bonner nick name for bonneville.I talked to that guy as well.He told me Bonneville I think.looks like a real nice boat. doesnt look like any Bahner I ever saw.
Casey

Longstr
10-17-2007, 10:33 AM
Just put your HIN number in the website I posted... It will end all confusion, it will tell you exactly what it is and where it was built. :D

DeltaSigBoater
10-17-2007, 10:43 AM
Then the other day as I'm waxing it, I notice a barely legible name across the transom, long since painted over, which reads "Bahner Custom Boats, Santa Ana, CA".
Congrats on the new ride... if you can post a pic of painted "BCB" across your transome, be neat to see.

Graymatter80
10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Just put your HIN number in the website I posted... It will end all confusion, it will tell you exactly what it is and where it was built. :D
Thanks for the link Longstr! I'm still a little confused, as the name that comes up on the website is Fantasy, while the name painted across the transom is Bahner Custom Boats. Fantasy went into business in '86. I believe Bahner started making boats in '78. I was told this boat was a 1976. Did the previous owner just tell me the wrong year?

468miller
10-17-2007, 10:54 AM
congrats on the boat, dosent look like any bahner ive ever seen........:idea: :idea:

Graymatter80
10-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Congrats on the new ride... if you can post a pic of painted "BCB" across your transome, be neat to see.
The BCB name on the transom is extremely hard to see. I'm pretty sure I couldn't get it to show up in a photo. I'll give it a try though.

468miller
10-17-2007, 10:57 AM
you are correct sort of, i asked my old man, he was friends with the guy way back in the day, they split ways, my dads a cop and rod i belive his name was had legal problems but we wont go there, anyhow he built my dads 78 and it was the third boat he ever built, he did build 2 in late 77 from what i was told........

468miller
10-17-2007, 11:00 AM
i just looked at my dads boat, the hull started with BAH:idea:

Graymatter80
10-17-2007, 11:16 AM
i just looked at my dads boat, the hull started with BAH:idea:
Thanks for the help 468. So it can't be a late '70's Bahner, as my HIN doesn't start with BAH. Could this be one of the early boats built by Rod while he was still working for Fantasy, before he officially switched to Bahner? Or did some goofball just decide to paint the Bahner name across the transom for an unknown reason?

Longstr
10-17-2007, 11:18 AM
WELL then this link will straighten you out...
http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html
:D :D

DeltaSigBoater
10-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the link Longstr! I'm still a little confused, as the name that comes up on the website is Fantasy, while the name painted across the transom is Bahner Custom Boats. Fantasy went into business in '86. I believe Bahner started making boats in '78. I was told this boat was a 1976. Did the previous owner just tell me the wrong year?
Funny thing the 7 & 8 are right next to each other on the keyboard. So the 7 could've been typed instead of the 8.
Just for fun, what are the last 2 numbers on you HIN? that will tell you the year

468miller
10-17-2007, 11:26 AM
who personally built it i have no clue if it was rod or not, i personally never met the guy, but ur theory is quite possible, its 100% a fansty built boat........... hin numbers tell it all.........:D :D

LuckyDaze
10-17-2007, 11:39 AM
thats a good looking boat! I would suggest ditching the single carb tunnel ram though. They have distribution problems.
~Brian

Graymatter80
10-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Cool, I didn't know that about the HIN. This means the boat is definitely a '76, most likely a Fantasy. The Bahner name on the transom is still a mystery. Thanks for the help everyone!!

Graymatter80
10-17-2007, 12:18 PM
thats a good looking boat! I would suggest ditching the single carb tunnel ram though. They have distribution problems.
~Brian
Thanks Brian! Do you mean I should get rid of the tunnel ram, and keep the single carb? Or keep the tunnel ram and run dual carbs? You mentioned distribution problems. What are the symptoms? I ask because I've had engine problems I haven't been able to diagnose. It runs fine in the driveway, but put it in the water and its another story. Very hard to start when I first put it in the water. Once I get it started, it runs fine for a while, then dies after 5 minutes or so, and becomes extremely hard to start again. Let it cool down for a while, and it starts right up. BTW, its a 468 roller, demon carb, 9:1 compression, elec fuel pump w/ fuel-water separator, MSD dist + coil.

old rigger
10-17-2007, 01:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Rod Bahner never worked for Fantasy boats. Fantasy was owned by Worth Potts back in the day, well before 1986. Later it was known as Galaxie boats.
A family friend, actually married to my mom now, built all the windshieds for Fantasy back then in the 70s. Oddly enough he was a cop too.

H20MOFO
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
Hi Graymatter, on my single tr. #'s 5,7,and 2 seem to burn a little leaner than the other 5 cyl. Spin in a new set of plugs and just keep an eye on them.

LuckyDaze
10-17-2007, 02:54 PM
Thanks Brian! Do you mean I should get rid of the tunnel ram, and keep the single carb? Or keep the tunnel ram and run dual carbs? You mentioned distribution problems. What are the symptoms? I ask because I've had engine problems I haven't been able to diagnose. It runs fine in the driveway, but put it in the water and its another story. Very hard to start when I first put it in the water. Once I get it started, it runs fine for a while, then dies after 5 minutes or so, and becomes extremely hard to start again. Let it cool down for a while, and it starts right up. BTW, its a 468 roller, demon carb, 9:1 compression, elec fuel pump w/ fuel-water separator, MSD dist + coil.
From everything I have heard the rear two cylinders burn lean and the center ones burn rich. I would ditch that setup and stick your carb on a Performer air gap or something of the sorts. Depends on your cam though and how much reversion you have. Im running dual carbs because I have a bit of reversion from a lumpy cam and the tunnel ram cleared up the mix distribution for me. I probably could have solved my problem with a better single carb intake but I got a smokin deal on the tunnel ram. Its pretty too. :)
Have you checked your base timing? How much initial timing do you have? What do your plugs look like? Does it run hot? If its running hot are you getting water out the back of the boat where the engine coolant water is being dumped? If its running hot, do you have a gate or any valve on the back side of the pump? It would have a hose on it leading to the block. If you do thats there to control water flow, check to see if thats open or if its got crap in it. I'd start with the timing if I were you, then move to the carburetor. Is your accelerator pump working? If a boats been sitting for a while it wont squirt any fuel down its throat and makes it hard to start and not want to run under a load. Hows the fuel in the boat? New? Old or older? Starting to smell like kerosene? How long has the boat sat before you got it? Sorry for all the questions but if you answer them the fellas on the board might be able to better asses your problem. If you live near Rialto Ca, I have a timing light I can throw on it for you and help you get her tuned up. Im not an authority of all things automotive but I might be able to get you up and running.
~Brian

ol guy
10-17-2007, 04:54 PM
Definetly a BAHNER. I rebuilt one front to back for a friend of mine acouple of years back and same thing, On the top of the transom you could make out BAHNER CUSTOM BOATS and on the gunnels the name of the boat was DOG BAWLS. I was told that this was Dave Bahners first RACE???? boat never checked the bin #s wasn't my boat who cares!!! But the paint scheme was the same. With the exception that this boat had a REAL wierd color scheme.If I were a betting man I would say you had another one of the first's I was also told that the reason for the BAHNER CUSTOM BOATS on the top of the transom was for the Long Beach boat show in 1977. Maybe that helps. MARK

RitcheyRch
10-17-2007, 06:18 PM
Nice looking boat.

maxwedge
10-17-2007, 06:50 PM
I just bought what was described to me as a 1976 "Bonner Fantasy", 18.5'.
Maybe I was mis-pronouncing the word "Bonner" in my head as I read it, but for some reason this sentence struck me as being extremely funny.:D

Graymatter80
10-18-2007, 09:43 AM
From everything I have heard the rear two cylinders burn lean and the center ones burn rich. I would ditch that setup and stick your carb on a Performer air gap or something of the sorts. Depends on your cam though and how much reversion you have. Im running dual carbs because I have a bit of reversion from a lumpy cam and the tunnel ram cleared up the mix distribution for me. I probably could have solved my problem with a better single carb intake but I got a smokin deal on the tunnel ram. Its pretty too. :)
Have you checked your base timing? How much initial timing do you have? What do your plugs look like? Does it run hot? If its running hot are you getting water out the back of the boat where the engine coolant water is being dumped? If its running hot, do you have a gate or any valve on the back side of the pump? It would have a hose on it leading to the block. If you do thats there to control water flow, check to see if thats open or if its got crap in it. I'd start with the timing if I were you, then move to the carburetor. Is your accelerator pump working? If a boats been sitting for a while it wont squirt any fuel down its throat and makes it hard to start and not want to run under a load. Hows the fuel in the boat? New? Old or older? Starting to smell like kerosene? How long has the boat sat before you got it? Sorry for all the questions but if you answer them the fellas on the board might be able to better asses your problem. If you live near Rialto Ca, I have a timing light I can throw on it for you and help you get her tuned up. Im not an authority of all things automotive but I might be able to get you up and running.
~Brian
Hey Brian, thanks for taking the time to help me out. Unfortunately, my boats in storage, so I can't answer a lot of those questions. I know I have water flow - it was running at about 150 degrees, with plenty of water flowing. I'll probably try the easy stuff first like you said: check the timing, check for adequate fuel flow to the carb, etc. I've heard a lot of negative stuff about single carbs on tunnel rams, so if nothing works, I guess I'll swap that setup out for something else. Hate to do that though - it looks so bitchin! My first priority right now though is to rebuild the pump. Once I finish that, I'll get started on the engine. Might have to start a new thread if I can't figure it out!

Graymatter80
10-18-2007, 09:47 AM
Definetly a BAHNER. I rebuilt one front to back for a friend of mine acouple of years back and same thing, On the top of the transom you could make out BAHNER CUSTOM BOATS and on the gunnels the name of the boat was DOG BAWLS. I was told that this was Dave Bahners first RACE???? boat never checked the bin #s wasn't my boat who cares!!! But the paint scheme was the same. With the exception that this boat had a REAL wierd color scheme.If I were a betting man I would say you had another one of the first's I was also told that the reason for the BAHNER CUSTOM BOATS on the top of the transom was for the Long Beach boat show in 1977. Maybe that helps. MARK
Very interesting. I'll check the gunnel to see if I can see a name. Did the boat you built have that weird transom adapter too? Whatever the boat is, I think I'll just refer to it as a Bahner. That has much better ring to it than Fantasy. Sorry to all you Fantasy fans out there (all 2 of you)!

LuckyDaze
10-18-2007, 02:28 PM
What kind of tunnel ram do you have? You might be able to just purchase a dual top for it and throw some 450's on that bad boy and have the bitchen look and good distribution. :)
~Brian

pw_Tony
10-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to the forum and the jet boat scene. I just bought what was described to me as a 1976 "Bonner Fantasy", 18.5'. The previous owner said this "Bonner" guy worked for Fantasy, then branched out on his own. The first three letters of the HIN are "FAN" which comes up in the database as Sparkman Marine, also known as Fantasy Boats in Santa Ana, CA. The whole time I was talking to the owner, I was thinking that maybe he had "Bonner" confused with "Bahner". Then the other day as I'm waxing it, I notice a barely legible name across the transom, long since painted over, which reads "Bahner Custom Boats, Santa Ana, CA". I was under the impression that Bahner didn't start making boats until 1977. The hull shape kind of suggests a Bahner, but like I said, I'm new to the jet boat scene. Any input you knowledgable folks can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!
http://a953.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/114/l_d36f91462eb051add6021e9743445948.jpg
http://a545.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/17/l_5c5ae6c44027e1c641a29338d51f8820.jpg
http://a300.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/45/l_a1e00e54040f81f671ff4368bf1acb9b.jpg
Part 2 entitled "What the hell is wrong with my motor" to come later.
Thanks!!
Looks like a jet boat to me, but don't quote me on that :idea:

Josh@JBP
10-18-2007, 03:29 PM
Very interesting. I'll check the gunnel to see if I can see a name. Did the boat you built have that weird transom adapter too? Whatever the boat is, I think I'll just refer to it as a Bahner. That has much better ring to it than Fantasy. Sorry to all you Fantasy fans out there (all 2 of you)!
I believe that weird transom adapter is from a Drake pump, or at least its similar.

ol guy
10-18-2007, 04:58 PM
No. The boat I went thru was a berkely pump with the standard transom adaptor. THat could be a Drake Or Bayjet deal but I have seen those before.Mark

ol guy
10-18-2007, 05:01 PM
Sorry I just had that last brain cell kick in for a minute very well could be a Super jet piece. Mark

beerjet
10-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Hey there Graymatter . Welcome ! Tons of great peeps and info here as you've figured out. Could you turn on your PM function please.
-beerjet-

bahner78
10-19-2007, 04:08 PM
sure looks like a bahner i have a 77 and almost identical hull , nice boat

speedymopars
10-19-2007, 10:38 PM
OK, you have to say, what is different on the water than in your driveway? A:The jet is pumping water and requiring HP to turn.
Maybe, just maybe the engine isn't the problem, it could be the jet. A bearing that is going south and sezing in the bore? I saw a boat the other day that had the driveshaft just behind the impellor seize and snap in half.
If it isn't the jet, then I would look for a lean condition. Was the TR put together with gaskets? Sometimes people leave these off not realizing there is a gasket between the top and bottom.
A stuck float in the carb? I'm gonna assume the carb is jetted right, and I wouldn't change anything out like the manifold yet. TR single Carb disti problems will affect top end HP, but won't cause the issues you are discribing. and yes, you can buy just the top. Run what you have for now.
A stuck float may cause it to idle unloaded (and lean), but kill it on the water.
However, your statement that it is hard to start, to me points to the jet.
Jet first - Lean carb second.
This advice is worth what you paid for it though, so keep that in mind.

ol guy
10-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Single top tunnel ram. Just stop and think about air mass and feul distribution and that will solve it's self. Tunnel rams were made to run on upper end of the RPM range, But with the proper tuning will work GREAT in a jet boat. The thing you always need to keep in mind is the amount of air introduced to the engine vs the fuel???? Look at the plenum size and the RPM you are turning for a good holeshot, open the air and add the fuel and life will be good. MY 2Cents Mark.

beerjet
10-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Mine ran awsome for a long time . I still have my single TR and will be reuseing it .
-beerjet-

Longstr
10-21-2007, 05:11 AM
I've had engine problems I haven't been able to diagnose. It runs fine in the driveway, but put it in the water and its another story
It is real hard on Jets to run when not in the water, get that wear ring heated up and you will be rebuilding the whole jet. If I were you I would put a stop to the driveway starts.;)