PDA

View Full Version : Measure for a new oil dip stick

h2oboy
02-28-2006, 11:36 PM
Can anyone help me out... How do I measure for a new dipstick for the oil pan. I am missing the whole deal.... ???? Thoughts

CARLSON-JET
03-01-2006, 01:07 AM
get new dipstick assembly. Install. drain oil. fill with prescribed amount of oil minus 2 quarts. mark dipstick at prescribed 2 qt low oil level. add 2 quarts. mark full level. I hope this is what you meant.

GunninGopher
03-01-2006, 05:34 AM
I've always been a little curious about that, pardon my ignorance if I have this wrong.
It seems that the top of the oil level, the maximum, is dictated by the rotating assembly, to prevent windage in the crank and rods. 2 quarts low is still 2 quarts low, instead of having 3 or 4 quarts still in the pan, you have 7 or 8.
If all you're doing is replacing the pan, not stroking the motor, shouldn't the old dip stick read true?

h2oboy
03-01-2006, 09:00 AM
Yeah that helped a lot... thats what I was thinking of doing, but was not sure if there was something I was missing... Besides my dipstick assembly.... Thanks again!!

maxwedge
03-01-2006, 10:39 AM
was not sure if there was something I was missing... Besides my dipstick assembly.... Thanks again!!
Seems like you are almost begging for somebody like me to make a smartass comment here. :D