View Full Version : Blackberry question

TOBTEK
10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
never have had one or touched one...
ARE they worth having?
easy to access Emails?
Internet access decent?
what model to get?
Want a I-phone, but the battery issues scare me away from I-Issues.
Thanks

riverbound
10-17-2007, 07:57 PM
depends on what you are going to use it for. I have the Pocket Pc. and will be going to a Blackberry ASAP. The email on a BB is way faster than all the others. the internet and bells and whistles of the BBs is not as good as the others though.

Havasu Hangin'
10-17-2007, 08:08 PM
ARE they worth having?
easy to access Emails?
Internet access decent?
what model to get?
Thanks
I have a Sprint World Edition Blackberry- works great.
Easy access to personal e-mail accounts, but you need an Enterprise activation for work stuff...or it's clunky.
Sprint uses high-speed internet- much better than the (slightly better than) dial-up speeds I had with Cingular on my last one.
Mine even has MP3 player, movie player, and GPS maps with realtime navigation built in.

squirt'nmyload
10-17-2007, 08:08 PM
my gf has the blackberry pearl. she hated it for a day or so but now says she loves it, although she doesn't really use it for email...mostly internet and playing games. imo the keys suck for typing. I have a moto-Q and for what I use it for it is perfect. I have all email accounts linked to it and mostly use the planner..... individual keys and a big screen....perfect for mobile ***boat :D :D the one thing I don't like about it(moto-Q), is that I can't send picture texts, can only send pics in email. :)

AZJD
10-17-2007, 08:11 PM
I have a blackberry and like it. Make sure you get the newer versions that are less grage door opener'ish!:D

XtrmWakeborder
10-17-2007, 08:13 PM
I got a blackberry for work and I like it alot. If you have big fingers emailing might take a while to get use too though. The damn buttons are small.

Havasu Hangin'
IMO...the best thing about the Blackberry Enterprise is not the e-mails...
...it's the realtime synching with Outlook. I make a change in my Calendar on my Desktop, and it appears seconds later on my Blackberry. The address book also synchs realtime- no more uploading phone numbers- ever.

mbrown2
Have tried them all....Pearl, 8700, 8800, Curve....BB is much better then any Pocket PC or Palm based device...better syncronization capabilities. Personally I like the Curve the best....best formfactor...small but with full keyboard....if you want smaller then the Pearl with the smarttype keyboard..
I use Cingular cause it comes in at Parker...coverage is great most places..
You can easily sync with your email...also Intenet is pretty good with the new higher speed WWan connectivity options..

AZJD
10-17-2007, 08:17 PM
You don't need enterprise software for email. Blackberry is supported by Gmail, Gmail Mobile (http://www.google.com/mobile/mail/index.html). Sign up for a gmail account. Gmail can now retrieve any IMAP or POP3 email account(s) along with your Gmail account. Personally, I use my Gmail account to retrieve three other POP3 accounts from two websites I own, couldn't be easier. The beauty of web based email is that no matter where you check your mail, send from, delete from, the account is always in sync up to the second.
Wow, 12k posts! And it was an informative post at that!!:D

Jyruiz
10-17-2007, 08:20 PM
I have the 8830 world through Verizon, and it is pretty good. Going thru an Enterprise server is the way to go if you want to sync your contacts and calender, but I also use it to retreive my Yahoo mail. You can setup upto 10 e-mail accounts, you just type in the e-mail addy and password and you are all set. I prefer to use Yahoo mobile though for my Yahoo e-mails. If I had to pay for it though, I would go with something with a camera, that is the only thing I don't like about the BB.

mbrown2
10-17-2007, 08:22 PM
I have the 8830 world through Verizon, and it is pretty good. Going thru an Enterprise server is the way to go if you want to sync your contacts and calender, but I also use it to retreive my Yahoo mail. You can setup upto 10 e-mail accounts, you just type in the e-mail addy and password and you are all set. I prefer to use Yahoo mobile though for my Yahoo e-mails. If I had to pay for it though, I would go with something with a camera, that is the only thing I don't like about the BB.
The Pearl has a camera and audio...just no video camera...

Jyruiz
10-17-2007, 08:29 PM
The Pearl has a camera and audio...just no video camera...
I know, but my work went thru Verizon, and I don't think they have The Pearl.

riverbound
10-17-2007, 08:31 PM
I know, but my work went thru Verizon, and I don't think they have The Pearl.
they will have one shortly.

Caribbean Jet
10-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I have the Sprint World phone and love it. To access my work email and my personal email is quit easy. My office is giving the I phone away, but most people love the internet options but HATE the phone features. Most are selling them as they get them...

JetBoatRich
10-17-2007, 09:05 PM
ARE they worth having?
Thanks
Necessary evial at work:eek:

IN2-IN2MX
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Had the iphone but returned it a week later because I couldn't text message quickly enough. Got the Curve and only paid a third of what the iphone cost me. It's been about 6 weeks and I love it. It's easy to use, full keyboard and great for texting, internet service rocks (through Cingular), great for personal emailing and surfing the web when I'm bored. Mike has the Palm and likes my Curve much better.

25Elmn8r
10-17-2007, 09:23 PM
Ditto for me! If it only had a camera it would be perfect.

BajaMike
10-17-2007, 09:51 PM
...it's the realtime synching with Outlook. I make a change in my Calendar on my Desktop, and it appears seconds later on my Blackberry. The address book also synchs realtime- no more uploading phone numbers- ever.
You need to have a company Exchange Server and Blackberry Server for those features to work......If you have that....they are great!
:idea:

Havasu Hangin'
10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
You need to have a company Exchange Server and Blackberry Server for those features to work......If you have that....they are great!
They give it to you if you have 10, or $4K.
Otherwise, you gotta sync with the cable.

riverbound
10-17-2007, 10:03 PM
i an do the same with my pocket PC and treo through our co. exchange server. In all reality I love it becuase no matter where I am or where I put a number into, it all syncs up. laptop, phone, internet email client, office.

reDECKulous
10-17-2007, 10:17 PM
I've had every phone you can imagine... Blackberry is hand down the best phone. I have two different emails set up on the phone and it works like a charm. Can't even compare the Treo's to it.

WestTNRiverRat
10-18-2007, 03:45 AM
Love my CrackBerry. :D Lets me work from anywhere. During the summer I rarely ever leave the river house, might actually go into work one day a week for some stupid ass meeting. Don't know how I ever lived without it.

duffster
10-18-2007, 05:56 AM
ARE they worth having?
easy to access Emails?
Internet access decent?
what model to get?
Thanks
I'm on one right now responding. I think for business the Blackberry 8830 is the best phone and I have used them all. Treo and PocKet-PC suck only get one of those if you like rebooting your phone every day and missing calls. Just make sure your office has a Blackberry server installed to push your email.

TOBTEK
10-18-2007, 07:08 AM
thanks everyone for all your input. I'm tech challenged. :( :D

TOBTEK
10-18-2007, 07:10 AM
I'm on one right now responding. I think for business the Blackberry 8830 is the best phone and I have used them all. Treo and PocKet-PC suck only get one of those if you like rebooting your phone every day and missing calls. Just make sure your office has a Blackberry server installed to push your email.
??? whys that, Cant I run the mails back through my Yahoo account? Plus if im in the office, id be using the decktop computer.

Jyruiz
10-18-2007, 07:11 AM
Ditto for me! If it only had a camera it would be perfect.
I can't complain too much, the company is footing the bill.:D

Jyruiz
10-18-2007, 07:13 AM
??? whys that, Cant I run the mails back through my Yahoo account? Plus if im in the office, id be using the decktop computer.
Yes you can, also, you can install the BB software and run the desktop redirector for your company e-mails, but you will have to leave your desktop on while away.

TOBTEK
10-18-2007, 07:13 AM
by the way....Verizon is my current carrier. With my current contract, I can get a new BB for about 49 dollars. Thats for the model right below the world model. Is the World that much better???

TOBTEK
10-18-2007, 07:17 AM
Yes you can, also, you can install the BB software and run the desktop redirector for your company e-mails, but you will have to leave your desktop on while away.
interesting...... if you do this redirect, will all the company email come to the BB and NOT the normal desktop?? OR if redirect software isn't installed, and up to 10 email accounts are std with the BB, wouldn't the emails appear on both devises?? I only have three email accounts.

Jyruiz
10-18-2007, 07:20 AM
interesting...... if you do this redirect, will all the company email come to the BB and NOT the normal desktop?? OR if redirect software isn't installed, and up to 10 email accounts are std with the BB, wouldn't the emails appear on both devises?? I only have three email accounts.
It would go to both, and then on the BB you can tell it to delete from both or one or the other.

TOBTEK
10-18-2007, 07:23 AM
It would go to both, and then on the BB you can tell it to delete from both or one or the other.
ahhhhhh, gotga. If you use the BB for all your email use, is it expensive?? or is the 40 whatever a month all inclusive? Also, cant you use the BB as your internet card for the laptop if im out in the field?

Jyruiz
10-18-2007, 07:26 AM
ahhhhhh, gotga. If you use the BB for all your email use, is it expensive?? or is the 40 whatever a month all inclusive? Also, cant you use the BB as your internet card for the laptop if im out in the field?
I could not tell you what the cost is, my company foots the bill and I never see it. You can use the BB as a modem, but it is not very fast.

duffster
10-18-2007, 07:35 AM
Yes Yahoo or Gmail accounts work. I just use it for my work Outlook account and it gives me a ton of freedom being able receive and send from wherever.

Angie
10-18-2007, 07:41 AM
I luv my BB Pearl.
Simple to use / navigate.
Has real-time synching.
Small enough to carry, yet screen is just big enough to view Internet, pix, & messages.
Note that buttons might be too small for those with large fingertips.
My unlimited data plan is $55 (company pays) with AT&T, which is probably pricey, but I keep this carrier since I receive coverage in tons of places and in some areas where Verizon doesn't.

riverracerx
10-18-2007, 09:18 AM
I have a Disney issued Blackberry. For a corporate environment it is great. Syncs with outlook perfectly for my email and my calendar. As a phone it sucks ass!
My wife has an iPhone for personal use. For Yahoo, Gmail, other personal email accounts it rocks. As a phone it works flawlessly.
Disney is looking into giving us the option for either one...
If you are a small business I would go iPhone. If you are corporate: Blackberry.

TOBTEK
10-18-2007, 10:47 AM
I have a Disney issued Blackberry. For a corporate environment it is great. Syncs with outlook perfectly for my email and my calendar. As a phone it sucks ass!
My wife has an iPhone for personal use. For Yahoo, Gmail, other personal email accounts it rocks. As a phone it works flawlessly.
Disney is looking into giving us the option for either one...
If you are a small business I would go iPhone. If you are corporate: Blackberry.
I would do a I-phone in a heart beat.... BUT the battery issues scares me! Heard that they will die after 350+ charges, then you have to send it back to the factory for battery replacement. $120.00 battery plus labor and shipping, AND down time...cant be without a business phone.

Jyruiz
10-18-2007, 12:02 PM
I would do a I-phone in a heart beat.... BUT the battery issues scares me! Heard that they will die after 350+ charges, then you have to send it back to the factory for battery replacement. $120.00 battery plus labor and shipping, AND down time...cant be without a business phone.
Thats 350 cycles, meaning that you would have to drain it all the way down 350 times and charge it back up 350 times. If you charge it before the battery dies, then that does not count as a cycle.

riverracerx
10-18-2007, 12:22 PM
My iPod battery has not died yet after 4 years.

ChumpChange
10-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Agreed. It's awesome for work.
thanks everyone for all your input. I'm tech challenged. :( :D
Same here. I had to adapt to the BB when I started my new job three months ago. It is not that bad to learn and once you get it, you'll love it. If you think you're more tech challenged than me, I didn't even have the internet in my house until a couple months ago. Technology sucks.
Have you found a way to make it format better to this site? I have the 8700 and this site is hard to navigate with it.
I can't complain too much, the company is footing the bill.:D
Bingo. The best way to have it. :D

BoatFloating
10-18-2007, 12:36 PM
I have a Sprint World Edition Blackberry- works great.
Easy access to personal e-mail accounts, but you need an Enterprise activation for work stuff...or it's clunky.
Sprint uses high-speed internet- much better than the (slightly better than) dial-up speeds I had with Cingular on my last one.
Mine even has MP3 player, movie player, and GPS maps with realtime navigation built in.
Look at Bill Fing Gates......:D

essexjet
10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
Toby + Blackberry = trouble (why too complicated for you Toby :D )
Keep to what you works for you:
http://www.techcrunch.com/wp-content/oldphones.png

HemiDude
10-18-2007, 12:52 PM
Not one mention of the Palm Treo.....???
I have had both, and the Palm Treo 700 thru Verizon, I think is the way to go. Great phone, emails, internet and camera. Also have my outlook sync to my computer and contacts. It does everything you would expect and more user friendly.
Most of the executives in my company have switched from Blackberry to the Treo.
Just my 2 coppers....

Jyruiz
10-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Not one mention of the Palm Treo.....???
I have had both, and the Palm Treo 700 thru Verizon, I think is the way to go. Great phone, emails, internet and camera. Also have my outlook sync to my computer and contacts. It does everything you would expect and more user friendly.
Most of the executives in my company have switched from Blackberry to the Treo.
Just my 2 coppers....
Goes to show you that is is a preference thing, here we have moved the VP's from Treos to BB, they like the BBs better.

duffster
10-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Have you found a way to make it format better to this site? I have the 8700 and this site is hard to navigate with it.
Yes get a 8830 I had a 8700 and they suck. I'm able to totally keep up on this site when on the road.

ekbearly
10-18-2007, 01:20 PM
curve is the best

Mrs. 33
10-18-2007, 01:23 PM
My husband and I both have the BB with sprint. The pearl will be out with sprint in march however- the nextel version is suppose to be out this time next year sprint network with nextel walkie talkie (blackberry). So we will convert to that..For now we really like what we have and We have both emails accounts on one phone.:)