PDA

View Full Version : F the Kobes....Some Clippers news :)

DILLIGAF
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Sam Cassell Provides an Emotional Rescue
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Andrew Kamenetzky | The Mind of AK, Los Angeles Clippers, Column
October 15th, 2007
It’s not conveyed in falsetto fashion, like Mick Jagger’s back in 1980. Instead, Cassell’s punctuation-free, non-stop words jacknife out of his mouth in a muddier, garbled baritone. Listening with eyes closed, it’s easy to picture his voice belonging to an old blues musician (albeit one obsessed with roundball). It’s only fitting that Cassell’s pitch smacks of John Lee Hooker, since blues are all about soul, which is exactly what “Sam I Am” provides for this Clippers squad.
Under the best of circumstances, a playoff spot in the brutal Western Conference could be tough for the Clippers to score. But with All-Star power forward Elton Brand out indefinitely after an offseason ruptured Achilles and point guard Shaun Livingston hoping for a best-case-scenario February return from an ‘07 knee dislocation, a repeat of their surprise 2006 semi-finals appearance feels like a pipe dream. Truth be told, your average NBA analyst expects the Clips to tank harder than ”Evan Almighty.” Tell that to Cassell, however, and you’ll be met with some cheerful dissension.
“I’m looking forward to this. It’s going to be a fun year.”
For Cassell, the uphill battle equals a call to arms, the impetus to resume a familar role of “squad pulse.” He refers to himself as the Clippers’ emotional leader, an assessment teammates would never dispute. And it’s a title that comes rather chatty. When acknowledging the leadership he and others must provide in Brand’s absence, veteran forward Corey Maggette knows fully well that one guidance style has already been claimed.
“I’ll leave the talking to Sam.”
Cassell’s voice will be a sound for sore ears after an injury-riddled 2007 brought out an uncharacteristic quiet- relatively speaking- from the fourteen-year veteran. According to Brand, frequent time spent in street clothes left Cassell asserting himself less often. “He didn’t feel comfortable leading by firing up the troops, because he wasn’t playing as much.” And when Cassell did play, he was often a shell of himself, his effectiveness limited by a badhamstring, a balky back and, in particular, a strained abdominal muscle that turned getting out of bed into a chore and forced him to ponder hanging up his sneaks for good during the offseason.
Upon deciding to continue playing, he underwent an intense core strengthening workout, determined to never suffer that injury again. “Go get Gunner Peterson’s workout book and look at it. Everything he did, we damn near tried it.” Cassell feels as good as when he joined the Clippers in 2005, and the refueled version couldn’t come a minute too soon. “Everyone knows he’s the key to this team,” says Maggette. “We need him on the floor. We need his leadership and what he brings to this team.”
One of those items brought is a whole lotta volume. Want a sneak preview of whose ear drums in particular will get worked? Try forward Tim Thomas, who Cassell wants to see in “good” version form. The version who lit up opponents from March-June 2006 in Phoenix (as opposed to “career underachiever” version, which led to being banished by the Bulls for the opening four months of that same season). “If Tim can be the Tim that I know he can be, he’ll be fine,” insists Cassell,who plans to set up his former Bucks teammate with gobs of pick and roll opportunities. ”Tim’s gotta shoot the basketball.”
Center Chris Kaman, coming off the most disappointing season of his young career, better prepare for 82 games of tough love as well. “He has talent out of this world. I don’t think he realizes how much talent he has.” The seven footer will be counted on heavily as the team’s best low post presence, a fact Cassell is more than happy to reiterate. “If he feels there’s no pressure on him, I’m sorry to tell him, but there is pressure on him. I will be the first to say,“Where’s Chris at?” Cassell’s also the first to praise Kaman for being humble enough to play in the Summer League, an activity typically reserved for rookies or those trying to work their way back into the L, not guys with guaranteed contracts worth more than $50,000,000. “I respect him for just going,” says Cassell, who admits he wouldn’t have done the same. “I might come to Vegas. I might be at the crap table. But I won’t be in no Thomas and Mack (Center) playing no damn basketball. It’s too hot.” Keeping with the Sin City theme, does Cassell think Kaman’s up to softening Brand’s absence? “Let’s roll the dice,” he says with a sly grin. “I’ll bet with him.”
But lest Thomas and Kaman feel singled out, nobody on this club should picture themselves exempt from a Cassell talking-to, especially on the heels of an effort Cassell felt wasn’t nearly up to snuff. “I don’t think we played as hard (last season) as we were supposed to play,” admits Cassell with little coaxing. It’s a sticking point for Cassell, since he figures elbow grease will be the key to any noise made.
“I’ll dictate our season right now. If our team plays harder than our opponents, we will definitely be in the playoffs. It ain’t about X’s and O’s with us. It’s about, can our team play harder than our opponents night in and night out like we did the year before last? It was like, “You might be more talented than us as a team, but you’re not gonna outplay us.” If Cassell’s teammates will also commit to doing the dirty work and little things, he’s confident they can hang with any team for three quarters. From there, the man with a still-deadly midrange jumper and a propensity for clutch shots and celebratory “big testicle dances” vows to return the favor.
“Just get me in the fourth quarter up two or down two and I think I can make the play.”
-AK
Andrew Kamenetzky hosts Lakers Blog and Blue Notes: A Dodgers Blog for latimes.com. In addition to his work with the Times, he is acontributing writer for ESPN The Magazine, espn.com and expn.com, and co-authored Fishing on the Edge, the autobiography of B.A.S.S. fishing bad boy Mike Iaconelli.

KineticoH20
10-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Los Angeles has another Ball team:D

acatitude
10-17-2007, 09:59 PM
damn is it almost that time again... and KObe still crying like a spoiled brat... my knee hurts so I aint practicing... lol. he never changes.
granted he is probably the most talented player in the NBA, but who wants to put up with his BS and whining.... The Lakers will never get value for him if they trade him and he will just bitch wherever he goes.. Buss already traded the wrong guy.... and I think Phil is fed up with Kobe also so the rumor has it..... oh well all is normal in laker land. Let the games begin...

GAME TIME
10-17-2007, 10:17 PM
With all the hype about Kobe and the Lakers I forgot the Clippers even existed. Not anything mentioned on talk radio about them the last two days. LOL.

dmontzsta
10-17-2007, 10:35 PM
Cassell? Oh yeah, he said he will leave the clippers after this year, to play for the Nuggets then retire, I guess he does not have alot of faith in the clippers.
clippers are the joke of the NBA. When the Lakers are in their worst state, they are still better than the clippers.:D

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 04:41 AM
Cassell? Oh yeah, he said he will leave the clippers after this year, to play for the Nuggets then retire, I guess he does not have alot of faith in the clippers.
clippers are the joke of the NBA. When the Lakers are in their worst state, they are still better than the clippers.:D
You just keep believing that Insane....lol In truth the Lakers have become the joke of the NBA. For the Lakers the talk isn't of basketball but of the daily drama that unfolds.

Jyruiz
10-18-2007, 07:02 AM
You just keep believing that Insane....lol In truth the Lakers have become the joke of the NBA. For the Lakers the talk isn't of basketball but of the daily drama that unfolds.
I would have to agree.

dmontzsta
10-18-2007, 07:58 AM
You sure can spin things. Sam Cassell wants to play for the Nuggets for he can get a year or two under George Karl. It's something they have talked about. He wants to be an NBA head coach when he retires and he thinks Karl's style will be most similar to his.
That still shows he could give a shit less about the clippers. :)
If the Lakers are the joke of the NBA, why is their PRE-SEASON game being Nationally Televised??? Come to think of it, I dont think a clippers pre-season game has even been televised, has it? :D
No matter what! The Lakers organization will remain as one of the most elite in the NBA, right behind the Boston Celtics.

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 08:11 AM
That still shows he could give a shit less about the clippers. :)
If the Lakers are the joke of the NBA, why is their PRE-SEASON game being Nationally Televised??? Come to think of it, I dont think a clippers pre-season game has even been televised, has it? :D
No matter what! The Lakers organization will remain as one of the most elite in the NBA, right behind the Boston Celtics.
Sam wants to coach and obviously the Clips haven't made any promises to him. I think he will make a good coach as he will not be afraid to kick the ass of the star of the team if he is being negative. Maybe he would make a good candidate for the Lakers? :)
I saw Clev-Orl playing a few games in China that were televised.....
Pre-season games aren't really fun to watch anyhow Insane. At least for me they aren't. The sports channels have a lot of air time to fill and they can cover the continuing drama called the Lakers.
Didn't they (National NBA coverage) decide to drop the Lakers from the Xmas games this year? Hmmmmmm..............wonder why? The Lakers are falling fast as far as one of the elite organizations in the NBA. It all started unraveling when Jerry West left. He was the glue that kept it all together. Didn't I read somewhere that PJ was behind that one also?
Boston will kick the living shit out of the Lakers this year.

dmontzsta
10-18-2007, 08:40 AM
Sam wants to coach and obviously the Clips haven't made any promises to him. I think he will make a good coach as he will not be afraid to kick the ass of the star of the team if he is being negative. Maybe he would make a good candidate for the Lakers? :)
I saw Clev-Orl playing a few games in China that were televised.....
Pre-season games aren't really fun to watch anyhow Insane. At least for me they aren't. The sports channels have a lot of air time to fill and they can cover the continuing drama called the Lakers.
Didn't they (National NBA coverage) decide to drop the Lakers from the Xmas games this year? Hmmmmmm..............wonder why? The Lakers are falling fast as far as one of the elite organizations in the NBA. It all started unraveling when Jerry West left. He was the glue that kept it all together. Didn't I read somewhere that PJ was behind that one also?
Boston will kick the living shit out of the Lakers this year.
Nice tap dancing around everything.
The Lakers are playing the Suns on Christmas, nationally televised as well.
I do see they have the clippers playing on the 22nd and the 27th, they need to make sure they keep them away from any of the prime TV time and dates.
Trivia: How many times have the clippers made it to the playoffs in the last 20 years? :)

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 09:17 AM
Nice tap dancing around everything.
The Lakers are playing the Suns on Christmas, nationally televised as well.
I do see they have the clippers playing on the 22nd and the 27th, they need to make sure they keep them away from any of the prime TV time and dates.
Trivia: How many times have the clippers made it to the playoffs in the last 20 years? :)
I guess I misunderstood. Maybe it was that they will not televise the Heat-Lakers game.
Trivia back at you: How many bridges has Kobe burned since the end of last year?

dmontzsta
10-18-2007, 10:40 AM
I guess I misunderstood. Maybe it was that they will not televise the Heat-Lakers game.
Trivia back at you: How many bridges has Kobe burned since the end of last year?
As it stands right now, zero. Burning a bridge means you cannot get back across it. He seems to be running back and forth and whichever direction he wants.
You did not answer my question. :rolleyes: Its ok, I think everyone knows the answer to that one. ;)

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 10:45 AM
You did not answer my question. :rolleyes: Its ok, I think everyone knows the answer to that one. ;)
I prefer to "Stay in the now" lol

AirtimeLavey
10-18-2007, 10:46 AM
It's good that Sam can provide some emotional leadership and entertainment, since as a team, the Clippers don't offer much basketball entertainment.....:eek: ;)

dmontzsta
10-18-2007, 10:48 AM
I prefer to "Stay in the now" lol
Alright then...so no playoffs for them last year and no televised pre-season games either. :)

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 10:51 AM
It's good that Sam can provide some emotional leadership and entertainment, since as a team, the Clippers don't offer much basketball entertainment.....:eek: ;)
See my sig :)

AirtimeLavey
10-18-2007, 11:02 AM
See my sig :)
Lol.....what, you didn't scroll down on that post of mine - biatch. :D :D
You've left one out there I may go tag....if I can figure out how. :D

DILLIGAF
10-18-2007, 11:11 AM
Lol.....what, you didn't scroll down on that post of mine - biatch. :D :D
You've left one out there I may go tag....if I can figure out how. :D
You RE guys are all the same.....lol
Selective reading is what I majored in while experiencing life :)

AirtimeLavey
10-18-2007, 11:24 AM
You RE guys are all the same.....lol
Selective reading is what I majored in while experiencing life :)
Lol....just trying to get on people's lists....and shiat. :rolleyes: :D