PDA

View Full Version : Thermastat

shirkey4750
06-05-2003, 04:14 AM
Wanting to install a Rex thermastat housing on a friends jet. Do I need a special thermastat or use a regular one? Or is there a bypass hole drilled in it?

HammerDown
06-05-2003, 05:50 AM
shirkey4750:
Wanting to install a Rex thermastat housing on a friends jet. Do I need a special thermastat or use a regular one? Or is there a bypass hole drilled in it? Yes there is a hole drilled in the thermostat, in the shoulder under the flange...and some people drill an extra hole or two. Just stagger them!
Kinda hard to explane what the thermostat looks look...but it dose have about a 1/4" wide base thats at a 90 degree angle to the gasket flange...ALSO the top of the unit has a resting spot for the spring thats used in the Rex Piece. The 1/4" area is where the hole/or holes are driled...and that allows water to bleed through the block at start up when the T-stat is fully closed.
I just looked in Summit and Jegs...Page 153 (summit) and Page 47 (jegs) shows the T-stat ya want and what it looks like. Ya need a 160 temp stat.
PS...when ya drill that hole in the side...make sure you DEBUR it so the plunger dosent hang up when it try's to open...got it!
[ June 05, 2003, 06:55 AM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

Rexone
06-05-2003, 06:03 AM
We use a special brass thermostat, not a standard automotive unit. We also have them available separately. :)
Thermo Kits (http://www.rexmar.com/page161.html)
Cutaway view (http://www.rexmar.com/page160.html)

HammerDown
06-05-2003, 06:46 AM
Very true Rex...(no Stainless)..and also the Mr.Gasket one I used is a all brass unit.

shirkey4750
06-05-2003, 09:09 AM
Thanks Hammer and Rexone. Will try the Summit one, then have him order the correct one when we get back from Anna. I can call Summit now, and it will be here tomorrow. Trying to turn a bare hull into a boat, in time For Anna. Dropped the Motor in last night. Wirings done, except for hooking all the end devices. Still haven't touched mine.

miller19j
06-05-2003, 10:18 AM
shirkey4750:
Thanks Hammer and Rexone. Will try the Summit one, then have him order the correct one when we get back from Anna. I can call Summit now, and it will be here tomorrow. Trying to turn a bare hull into a boat, in time For Anna. Dropped the Motor in last night. Wirings done, except for hooking all the end devices. Still haven't touched mine. I’ll bet rexone could get it to you by tomorrow as well

Taylorman
06-05-2003, 05:53 PM
Rex one just had the coutesy to respond to your question, don't you think you could order one from him instead of Summit. After all, the thermostat is made by Rex Marine.

bakerman
06-05-2003, 07:32 PM
I agree with you Taylorman :cool:

shirkey4750
06-06-2003, 03:52 AM
If you will notice, I said I would order the correct one when I get back from Anna. I'm on the east coast and he is on the west coast. Yes he could get it to me next day, but at a cost. And I have had dealings with next day air before. I'm trying to get two boats ready for Anna next weekend, This jet was brought to me last week as a bare hull, bare block and boxes of parts. The wiring is done except for the end devices. And the motor is in the boat. And I work eight or more hours a day. And I still have a new tunnel ram to install on my hydro, plus do wheel bearings and a major polish and clean job on the hydro.