PDA

View Full Version : How do you beach your boat?

Bullhead Bully
10-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I after all these years still don't understand how people go out and spend as much money on a boat as most people spend on a house and then put it on a rocky beach and tear the bottom to hell:confused: . I can't even beach a Sea Doo, am I missing something . I guess they probally put there dirty riding boots on the hood of there new truck to. I just don't get it.:jawdrop:

Havasu_Dreamin
10-18-2007, 07:49 PM
The bottom is all white and we get the scratches removed every year or so...But I really phucked up the bottom of the port sponson at Steamboat one day earlier this year...We won't beach in that particular area of Steamboat again...

riverbound
10-18-2007, 07:52 PM
How?
Well I come into the beach and right before thewater gets to shallow I kill the motor and raise it up (so it wont hit) and then glide right up the beach. In the jet I just kill the motor. ;)
If it doesnt go up far enough then we get out and pull the boat up the rest of the way. :mad:
Beaver retreaver has an interesting way of beaching in where he comes up to the beach a little hot and bounces off the sea-wall...... I dont recomend that method.:idea:

War Canoe
10-18-2007, 07:56 PM
They save so much money by NOT boating, they can afford new gel coat !

Havasu_Dreamin
10-18-2007, 07:56 PM
Beaver retreaver has an interesting way of beaching in where he comes up to the beach a little hot and bounces off the sea-wall...... I dont recomend that method.:idea:
Be careful, he may try and make you cry.....and stuff...:D

Kachina26
10-18-2007, 07:57 PM
I watched a family of lake lice use the WOT technique. Interesting to watch:eek:

ultra26shadow
10-18-2007, 07:58 PM
Usually I try to look for the sandy parts in the channel

War Canoe
10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Parking your boat on the beach is like taking a dump in your bilge and saying, " but I have a pump to pump it out"....

riverbound
10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Parking your boat on the beach is like taking a dump in your bilge and saying, " but I have a pump to pump it out"....
I dont get it...can you explain in more detail?:confused:
My boat is 13 years old, has never hed the bottom touched up and I beach it all the time. last time I checked there was still no damage to the boat. it has a couple scratches from hitting the dock. and has the all so famous "Parker dock rash" from the bumpers at all the docks. so using most people's logic...you shouldnt dock your boat either because it might get scratched??:confused: :idea:

vee-driven
10-18-2007, 08:43 PM
WTF is the point of having something so nice you cant even enjoy it?

riverbound
10-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I keep my stuff nice...but at the same time, my analness wont stop me from having a good time. Gelcoat buffs out, stains can be removed, but good times can not be replaced.

DMOORE
10-18-2007, 10:47 PM
I after all these years still don't understand how people go out and spend as much money on a boat as most people spend on a house and then put it on a rocky beach and tear the bottom to hell:confused: . I can't even beach a Sea Doo, am I missing something . I guess they probally put there dirty riding boots on the hood of there new truck to. I just don't get it.:jawdrop:
What the hell. Don't you have sand where you boat? I promise it wont hurt.:)
Darrell.

Bullhead Bully
10-19-2007, 06:40 AM
Not much sand where I boat the bottom of the river is 100% rock (2 feet deep) and the beaches are 100% 300 grit sandpaper, ideal for cutting through gel coat .:idea: Anchors and spikes work well.

2forcefull
10-19-2007, 07:12 AM
Not much sand where I boat the bottom of the river is 100% rock (2 feet deep) and the beaches are 100% 300 grit sandpaper, ideal for cutting through gel coat .:idea: Anchors and spikes work well.
I wouldn't boat where you boat, whats the sense in spending
150k on a boat then hav'n some kid t-bone it on a sea-doo
with no insurance.
I used to never beach my boat, spent the whole time ski'ng
every used boat I have ever bought had been beached,
easy fix,

Reaper1
10-19-2007, 08:22 AM
I keep my stuff nice...but at the same time, my analness wont stop me from having a good time. Gelcoat buffs out, stains can be removed, but good times can not be replaced.
I like it.

mbrown2
10-19-2007, 08:36 AM
Have two v drive...so even at the sandbar I anchor off...however when I had a cat, I would beach it in the channel or at the Turtle using the method RB uses..
Not the Beaverretriever method..:):):) j/k

beaverretriever
10-19-2007, 10:07 AM
How?
Ha, ha,...:D if you are going to rip on me, at least spell my screen name right..LOL;) :)

riverbound
10-19-2007, 11:36 AM
Ha, ha,...:D if you are going to rip on me, at least spell my screen name right..LOL;) :)
I was hoping to really piss you off :D

HemiDude
10-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Well said!!!:cool: :messedup:

Throttle
10-19-2007, 04:22 PM
yep, gonna be gettin some gel work done this winter... :D
its a boat, use it! dont get me wrong, I am anal about things but sometimes you just gotta get over the little stuff.

Bullhead Bully
10-19-2007, 08:11 PM
I enjoy and use my fiberglass more than most , but abusing the bottom is not an option . I use a box anchor and spike and get all the fun without the damage , and the best part is when I go to sell it most of the time the first buyer takes it because there is no hiding the history of it was treated .Gel repairs are not perfect and found quite easy , I was just trying to understand how it could be justified and I'm still at a loss.:confused:

WILDMAN
10-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Bullhead, put a few scratches in it, then sell it to me for $20 Grand!

Beer-30
10-20-2007, 08:03 AM
I'm still at a loss.:confused:
Well then, you're lost. No biggie. Just call it a day and move on.
Beaching properly relies commonly on common sense. But, common sense is sometimes not that common :) .
In this photo, you can just see the sand in the lower right corner. At that part of the river it is more "sponge-like" than sandpaper:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2433smsig.jpg
You can see here, in front of the NakedTurtle, that the sand is quite soft and fine. Do these help?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433070sm.JPG

havaduner
10-22-2007, 06:35 AM
I'll beach the boat in the channel, where it's not rocky, the channel at park Moabi, or a sandy spot in Steamboat. I usually stop the boat short of hitting the sand, get out, make sure that there are no rocks, then pull the boat up the rest of the way.
I wont put it anywhere rocky, or where the boat will get bounced around by the current or boat wakes.

Not So Fast
10-22-2007, 12:37 PM
I'll beach the boat in the channel, where it's not rocky, the channel at park Moabi, or a sandy spot in Steamboat. I usually stop the boat short of hitting the sand, get out, make sure that there are no rocks, then pull the boat up the rest of the way.
I wont put it anywhere rocky, or where the boat will get bounced around by the current or boat wakes.
Exactly, just be a little cautious and dont beach on a rocky shore but if it gets a scratch then live with it, just have the sponsons regelled every three or four years, really no big deal and I'm damn picky. NSF

Havasu Hangin'
10-22-2007, 01:10 PM
I used to get mine on the beach, then slowly power it up.
However, after watching KROOZIN power his $600K Skater on the beach, I stepped up my game and gun it as much as I can.
After all, we can't have a Skater beating a Cig...lol.

AZJD
10-22-2007, 05:18 PM
Bingo!

jackpunx
10-22-2007, 05:28 PM
I learned a new trick from a very famous parker HERO:).. You go in backwards.. when you get to the shallow part you just drop the drive a little so that it stays in one place.. after you been drinking at the sandbar all day you just step on the prop, climb over the motor (polishing the carb covers with your shirt because your to fat to take it off)... then you go nose first between the seats.. (this is how you put your cigarett out)... Start up the motor and rev the engine alot so everyone knows how fast your boat is and take off right from the beach so that you dont scrape the bottom of your boat on the rocks.. Dont worry about the ropes to all the other boats, if your spinning the prop fast enough it will cut right through.:)

Bullhead Bully
10-22-2007, 06:27 PM
OK I got it now thanks for all the input :idea: ,I guess I will continue to close my eyes and ears when the grinding :eek: goes on next to my boat . And continue to buy new NEVER buy used.:D