PDA

View Full Version : Protecting palms from freezing!

HPBoats83
10-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Last winter in Corona the winter was a bit cold and took quite a toll on the palms. Has anybody thought of anything to do to protect their palms from freezing this winter or is anybody even concerned about it besides me?

BoatFloating
10-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Last winter in Corona the winter was a bit cold and took quite a toll on the palms. Has anybody thought of anything to do to protect their palms from freezing this winter or is anybody even concerned about it besides me?
Kinda soon to be worried about a maybe???? Best is some type of tarp....

HPBoats83
10-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Who cares?
Have you ever tried to dig 1 of them sonsabitches up? Let um die. :D
Mine didn"t do nuttin, ya want um ? Just come and dig um up. PLEASE.
Rio
Well so far I have spent approx $5,000 on palms this year trying to get the yard going so I care, unless you want to just give me $5,000

voodoomedman
10-18-2007, 09:32 PM
My wife's starting to think about it. We had hundreds of dollars of stuff die last year and aren't going to let it happen again. Of course we will cover them but she is going to talk to the nursery and see what they have to say.

HPBoats83
10-18-2007, 09:37 PM
My wife's starting to think about it. We had hundreds of dollars of stuff die last year and aren't going to let it happen again. Of course we will cover them but she is going to talk to the nursery and see what they have to say.
What are you guys thinking about covering the palms with?

voodoomedman
10-18-2007, 09:43 PM
What are you guys thinking about covering the palms with?
Unless the nursery says something specific..... My wife gets these blue things from the operating room that they use to cover you up during surgery and stuff.

C-2
10-18-2007, 09:43 PM
I couldn't figure out why half my plants died - yet others of the same type lived. Until I realized the sprinklers made popsicles out of them. So make sure they are off.
And if you like, there is an abandoned citrus fan attached on top of a telephone pole behind my house. If you want me to borrow it; we can hook it up at your place.
But I think the concept is correct - move some air? That or some of the old smudge pots laying around in all those abandoned citrus groves.

HPBoats83
10-18-2007, 10:16 PM
I couldn't figure out why half my plants died - yet others of the same type lived. Until I realized the sprinklers made popsicles out of them. So make sure they are off.
And if you like, there is an abandoned citrus fan attached on top of a telephone pole behind my house. If you want me to borrow it; we can hook it up at your place.
But I think the concept is correct - move some air? That or some of the old smudge pots laying around in all those abandoned citrus groves.
I might have to take you up on that or atleast check it out! I cut WAY back on the watering in the winter (like 1 day a week); however, last winter was the first winter I have ever seen it say "ICE" on my truck mirror!
Unless the nursery says something specific..... My wife gets these blue things from the operating room that they use to cover you up during surgery and stuff.
I think covering them with anything would be good. One of the things I sell everyday is an insulating blanket for backflow enclosures which just literally slides over them.

Jim W
10-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Here in Upstate NY there is a woman near me who has a greenhouse for her exotic plants.
Believe it or not, they left out a royal plam all last winter and it is still outside and doing well. -10 to -15 below at times. It's still outside so I would guess it's going to see another winter outside.
Had a friend up from Florida and he just shook his head.
This winter I will try to remember to take a pic of it covered in snow for you guys.
Be good, Jim

purrfecttremor
10-19-2007, 05:03 AM
I just thrw towels on the segas. It promots a real fashon statement :D I pay attention to the weather report and cover when needed.

mmered8299
10-19-2007, 05:19 AM
You can rap the Queen Palms up in Burlap! Your local Nursery might carry some.

LAVEYSABRE575
10-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Take some christmas lights and wrap them around the tree and if not that tall put burlap over the top, I lost a alot of red banana trees last year midway thru my buddy told me about the lights and i saved a few.Derek

HPBoats83
10-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Those are some good ideas with the burlap sacks and the christmas lights. I will deffinately be doing that this winter.

Sleeper CP
10-19-2007, 07:59 AM
Those are some good ideas with the burlap sacks and the christmas lights. I will definitely be doing that this winter.
How big are your trees.
Last year we put 12 expensive palms in the ground and then the next weekend in drooped to 27*. OH SHIT:eek:
So I called a few people and I was told to water the ground around the roots which I did. On the 4 multi trunk "Kings" I triangulated 5 ft fence post's and purchased cheap reflective shop lights with the tin ring around them and put 400 watt heat lamps in them. Each tree had 1200 watts of heat lamps radiating heat up through the tree's. It was 27* outside but 5-6' up in the middle of our palms it was 38*. The heat lamps worked great. The front of or house was lit up like Las Vegas.:D
The burlap works well as would beach towels or blankets. Good luck.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Legal Chemistry
10-19-2007, 09:47 AM
sheets/tarps/or burlap. The palm with make heat and keep it from shock.

MKEELINE
10-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Drink massive amounts of Tequila and then pee on each tree:D . Worked for me last winter, although I had such a huge hangover I didn't remember I had palms for a day and a half.

Her454
10-19-2007, 10:19 AM
Who cares?
Rio
I second that. I hate those fockers. Nothing but a pain in the azz. I took one out already (and that wasn't easy) and have one more about 70 feet high if anyone wants it. FREE:D :D :D

Sleeper CP
10-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I second that. I hate those fockers. Nothing but a pain in the azz. :D
Don't want to be a pain in the azz , but there are more than 2,000 species of palms. Some in so-cal, typically the "Mexican Palm" Washingtona (sp) are like a weed.
I have 12 varieties at my house and am working on planting at least 4 or 6 more species in the next year.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

maxwedge
10-19-2007, 11:22 AM
Just one word..."Plastics" it's the new natural look in palm trees.:D
http://www.tropicalexpressions.com/images/newqueen8.jpg
...it's also the only kind I'm aware of that will live around here, some of them actually look really good.
http://www.tropicalexpressions.com/page1.html

Sleek-Jet
10-19-2007, 11:25 AM
I use a pair of nice insulated gloves... my palms stay nice and toasty...

LGCDEVIL
10-19-2007, 11:31 AM
Who cares?
Rio
I'm lookin' for a 30-40 footer if anybody wants have one removed.

Baja Big Dog
10-19-2007, 11:57 AM
Move the air...if you cant light a smudge pot, (can you imagine what would happen in this day and age if you did that!!), get some big fans from depot, and blow air around them towards the tops, yes if you have thousands invested in exotic palms you will want to protect them, the freeze last year wiped out a bunch of palms, my buddy was lovin life, he is a palm grower!!!

C-2
10-19-2007, 12:26 PM
Some in so-cal, typically the "Mexican Palm" Washingtona (sp) are like a weed.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
Yeah, and just like their human cousins, those fawkers are taking over my neighborhood! :eek: :sqeyes: :eek: :sqeyes:

BiggusJimbus
10-19-2007, 02:03 PM
I use a pair of nice insulated gloves... my palms stay nice and toasty...
Fingers too.

Sleeper CP
10-20-2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah, and just like their human cousins, those fawkers are taking over my neighborhood! :eek: :sqeyes: :eek: :sqeyes:
:D :idea:
Sorry, but sometimes you got to laugh.;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

Pepperkornski
10-20-2007, 09:22 AM
Fingers too.
I soke mine in cider. :D

phebus
10-20-2007, 09:30 AM
Palms need love too. I have a reciprocal agreement going with mine. :D

Sleeper CP
10-20-2007, 10:13 AM
I soke mine in cider. :D