PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit...How much space matters???

Reckless288
03-15-2002, 08:05 PM
Okay, we hear over and over about width, depth, etc. etc...In the "real world" how much does say a large beam for a 26-32 footer matter compared to what you use the boat for? Typically 2-4 bodies, run awhile, beach/raft-up awhile, get out walk around awhile then head back. Okay, coolers if you don't have'em built in, but do you need dancin' space to justify the added hull weight? I'm in an 8'1" beam and my 28'8" feels more than roomy enough for me and the couple of knuckle-heads that tag along. I simply don't feel cramped. And yes, I've been in 8'6" beams and they don't feel noticably larger than mine. Just a point of conversation since this comes up over and over...Opinions?????

32fever
03-16-2002, 07:14 AM
I don't think the beam matters much for cockpit space, but maybe more so room in between facing couches in the cabin, and rough water ride stability. Basic common sense says heavier and wider boats will ride better all other things equal.
The thing that matters to me most in cockpit size, is the distance between the bolsters and rear seat, to make sure you have enough room, because that's where we'll sit at eat our lunch and put a cooler in front of us as a table. That and storage for fenders, etc in the gunwales.
And, amazing how that differs. Like, Sunsations 32 is one of the tighter ones I've seen (with the McLeods) the Baja 33 Outlaw (although a longer boat) could store a compact car. I think there I'd rather trade that for extra cabin space or engine room.
Mark

Indy
03-17-2002, 04:53 AM
I'm with 32 Fever, The fore & aft elbow room is he most important to me. 6" difference of beam between a 8'6" boat vs 8' boat don't mean too much, but that 6" behind the bolsters or in the engine compartment is a whole different world.

RumRunner
03-17-2002, 03:04 PM
I guess it's all a matter of what you are doing. The tighter boats, I feel more secure, but storage sucks !!! And nomatter what there is never enough room in the engine compartment.
Doug

TriSum
03-18-2002, 03:30 PM
Cockpit space was one of the major reasons for choosing the Baja 33 Outlaw over some of the other boats. It is great to be able to have a party ON/IN your boat. More space = More girls!!!!!!

32fever
03-18-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by TriSum:
Cockpit space was one of the major reasons for choosing the Baja 33 Outlaw over some of the other boats. It is great to be able to have a party ON/IN your boat. More space = More girls!!!!!!
I'm married, so I just use a 2 person kayak http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif You can still opt for second set of bolsters in the 33 can't you? Seems like that would still be an option. That's cool too and something I looked at when I was shopping for boats. I don't know a 33'er with any more cockpit room than the Outlaw... I know Advantage can get another row of Bolsters in their 32. That's a pretty neat concept, I'm surprised more don't do that sort of thing.

euby
03-19-2002, 05:19 AM
along as its big enough for a cooler!
speaking of...i can get a 32qt cooler under my floor between the front seats! now that has been the handiest thing i've ever had on a boat.

TriSum
03-23-2002, 01:31 PM
Yes you have the option of the 2nd bolsters in the 33. I like having the space to walk around (wink..wink). Like I said before it's nice to cruise out to Catalina or go to Havasu and just hang on the boat and not be crunched. I'm not sure if the extra 6 inches of Beam matter, but like Indy said fore to aft it makes all the difference.

Chestah Cheetah
03-23-2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 32fever:
I know Advantage can get another row of Bolsters in their 32. That's a pretty neat concept, I'm surprised more don't do that sort of thing.
The Advantage and Baja's are designed in kind of a "cab-forward" fashion allowing more room in the cockipit. It is strange that not too many builders do this. Could it affect hull performance negatively that much? I'ts funny how many 21' cruisers will have way more room to walk around compared to a 30' and still be able to offer jumpseats behid the driver and passenger.

AudioGuy
03-28-2002, 08:56 AM
I also agree with 32 Fever, I pick my 28 over a so-called 29' because the distance between the rear bench and Bolsters was noticeable better in the 28. The reason i called the other a so-called 29 was it had a built in swim step, I hate to pay the kind of money these things cost for swim step.

jon 280silencer
03-30-2002, 06:10 AM
Cockpit size is also relative to a persons physical size. When you got a bis a$$, you need all the room you can get!!!!! I'm 6'-4" X 250+ pounds, once you start taking away cockpit space the boat becomes too confined.
Just my opinion.....

dzr928
04-08-2002, 08:48 AM
I've got a 32 advantage, and love the room. throw two per bolster, and 5 across the back, 12 people comfortable, and there's usually 2 or 3 standing, 15 people in an offshore, and not cramped, it's like having 6 on most other brands. I would think this would have spread to other manufacturers, more rapidly, but Baja is the only one I know of that has copied this Idea since, and There's still a ton of cabin room down below. Make's for a good party, especially when rafting.
[This message has been edited by dzr928 (edited April 08, 2002).]

Steamin' Rice
04-09-2002, 08:54 AM
I have to agree on the 32 Advantage cockpit setup...Very nice to have the extra bolsters. I went on a ride in one and we had 11 people in it comfortably (2 in each bolster, 4 on rear bench)...