PDA

View Full Version : Programs to protect kids on the net?? help?

WetWillie
10-19-2007, 09:36 PM
My 9 yr old daughter didnt want my wife to take our spare laptop downstairs to charge it and my wife got the sense she didnt want her looking to see what she was look at. My wife did a search after she went to bed tonight and saw that she was searching kissing on Youtube and Google..:eek:
Time to put something in place to make sure she is being a good girl.. maybe to much Hanna Montana..:idea:
What can I put on the computer that will help me to keep her in line..
I cant belive I am asking this when she is 9yrs old.. Making me sick to my stomach..

Goldilocks
10-19-2007, 10:13 PM
My 9 yr old daughter didnt want my wife to take our spare laptop downstairs to charge it and my wife got the sense she didnt want her looking to see what she was look at. My wife did a search after she went to bed tonight and saw that she was searching kissing on Youtube and Google..:eek:
Time to put something in place to make sure she is being a good girl.. maybe to much Hanna Montana..:idea:
What can I put on the computer that will help me to keep her in line..
I cant belive I am asking this when she is 9yrs old.. Making me sick to my stomach..
Maybe it's time for the birds and the bees talk :)

WetWillie
10-19-2007, 10:19 PM
I am not ready for that..:D

Goldilocks
10-19-2007, 10:21 PM
I am not ready for that..:D
I would feel the same way. Thank goodness I only have a cat and dog :)

asch
10-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Well....first and foremost, I'd nail the computer down in an area where you or your wife can monitor ALL activity. Beside that there's iBoss and another one I forget the name of.
Then again there's some people around that think its ok for their youngsters to learn about sexuality at an early age. No sir, Not my kids.

HM
10-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Check out Net Nanny: http://www.netnanny.com/products/netnanny?pid=3-11&gclid=CMKujf_snI8CFRctagodLka-eg

Cheap Thrills
10-20-2007, 07:39 AM
First ~ Unplug the Cat5 cable . DING your done , easy cheesy and doesn't cost a thing. :D
Second ~ Buy the Encyclopedia Britannica on CD. that's more than enough information for a 9 year old and will probably be enough to get her through school.
Third ~ Interactive CDs focused on particular age groups are inexpensive and will provide plenty of entertainment and a safe learning environment.
IMO There is absolutely nothing on the WWW that a 9 year old could benefit from.
If you/she insist on being on the WWW get a good firewall/router and set up the client IP restriction filters and regulate the times the child's computer can be online so that their activities can be closely monitored.
Also HM's suggestion of Net Nanny is also a good safety measure.
Best Of Luck.
T.

INSman
10-20-2007, 08:00 AM
My 11 year old is as innocent as they come, not even interested in kissing yet and ALREADY got her friggin' period !! :eek: :mad:
My 7 year old on the other hand thinks she is Beyonce, Jay-Lo, Hannah Montana and Brittany Spears all wrapped up into one and kisses like nobody's business, just not savvy enough to really do "internet" searching and stuff but I know that time is coming :squiggle: :cry:

Cigalert
10-20-2007, 08:40 AM
I just grounded my 3 month daughter after reading this thread.

riverroyal
10-20-2007, 10:37 AM
check this out.www.woogiworld.com.My 10 and 7 just signed up.Their school sent home a flyer on it.It teaches kida about net safety and its fun.Like a kids chat world with characters.VERY monitored

Ryphraph
10-20-2007, 09:03 PM
Try www.cyberpatrol.com It has a 15 day free trial.
Ryph