PDA

View Full Version : Legal Ownership of Off Road vehicles

Not So Fast
10-20-2007, 06:10 AM
In another thread I just posted yesterday about buying a golf cart without any legal ownership papers I was so surprised that most replies stated you had bought carts with no Certificate of Ownership.
Even if the subject is to always be off road what would you do if say the value jumped up a bit like used Rhino for say $15,000? Would you still buy this item? And so you buy it without any legal ownership papers, you bring it home and a couple of days later its gone from your garage. Could happen right? So you call the police and file a report, thats what I would do. Couple of days later you are driving home and you see a very similar looking Rhino sitting in a garage a few blocks away, its distinctive and you know this is the one. Now what, you call the poilce and they come out and queston the guy and he says he bought it from a private party a week ago. How do you prove its yours? How do you produce anything that proves its yours because this guy could do the same thing your doing, which is having a bill of sale written up by Joe Shmoe. Now what, save the macho BS here OK, what legal recourse do you have to prove, really prove this is your Rhino.:idea: Same thing applies to a golf cart no?
What about insurance? Please dont tell me just because its an off road vehicle you dont have insurance, nobody could be that dumb could they?
Maybe I'm missing something here but there are plenty of scenarios where the proof of ownership would play out and to be the one standing when the music stops and youre left with no legal recourse, well It aint gonna be me, guaranteed.
Please enlighten me,Thanks. NSF

phebus
10-20-2007, 06:18 AM
I have bought two used carts, both from the same golf course. When I bought them, all I was given was a bill of sale that gave a description of the carts, as well as their serial numbers. The purchases were made in California, and therefore no attempt was made to license them. They were neighborhood cruisers only, and no, I didn't insure them.
I would have thought that if they were stolen, the bill of sale would suffice in proving ownership, much the same as a bicycle or other item that bears a serial number.

Wheeler
10-20-2007, 06:31 AM
I purchased a new tractor and found out that it had no title, only serial # and bill of sale.

SummitKarl
10-20-2007, 06:35 AM
couple of things...
pay for it with a check and carts serial number on the check, then keep a copy of the canceled check, also take a picture of the cart at your home showing your address. I would assume that would be good enough proof that you not only paid for the item but were in possession of it. that should cover both the cops and your home owners INS

phebus
10-20-2007, 06:36 AM
In California, when I bought something that I knew had to be documented (registered) through the DMV (cars, motorcycles, quads, etc.), I always expected a title/registration to be part of the sale, but a golf cart sale wasn't handled by them, so I never expected nor did I ever recieve one.

BoatPI
10-20-2007, 07:01 AM
This is an excellent question for this forum.
There are several ways to document the vehicle, and YES, these are ALL vehicles. Some may be street legal in States, others are not. Nearly every vehicle produced in the past 20 or so years has a VIN, or in the case of some golf carts and all construction equipment, a PIN stamped or afixed to the frame. Nearly all VIN's since 1981 have 17 digit VIN's. Later model boats have 12 (1984 up).
1. Title from any State
2. Off Road title or document from any State.
3. A Mfg. statement or origin, or MSO. This may be signed off or not by the selling dealer. Be aware of fraud docs in all cases.
4. Cert of registration from any State. Some States do not require boats or trailers to be registered. Most will have to pay a taxable amount to a county, and receive a receipt.
5. ALWAYS obtain a bill of sale and examine the sellers drivers license to confirm the true seller.
There is always a posibility that you can be stung with something stole, no system is perfect. Ask a local police detective, generall an auto theft detective, or DMV office to verify that the vehicle is not listed as stolen. This needs to be done in person and with the documents. The DMV/MVD inspectors of VIN's are NOT-and I repeat NOT, experts in determining legit or VIN switched vehicles. Generally speaking investigators assigned to the State CHP, etc, are experts in VIN verifying. Local police auto theft detectives may also be experts if properly trained and experienced.
Having examined thousands of VIN's and boat HIN's, I can say the only way to ensure that the number is not changed is to know what a legit VIN/HIN looks like on a legit same make/model. This takes one or more experts to determine.
To be a true vehicle ID expert takes many years and constant training.

Not So Fast
10-20-2007, 09:12 AM
I have bought two used carts, both from the same golf course. When I bought them, all I was given was a bill of sale that gave a description of the carts, as well as their serial numbers. The purchases were made in California, and therefore no attempt was made to license them. They were neighborhood cruisers only, and no, I didn't insure them.
I would have thought that if they were stolen, the bill of sale would suffice in proving ownership, much the same as a bicycle or other item that bears a serial number.
Ok then Rick, I understand about your thoughts on buying them but to not have insurance; I cant believe an intelligent man such as yourself would put you and your wife and all of your wordly possessions in jeopardy for about a $100 ploicy at least for liability:jawdrop: But what do I know:(
Thanks Boat PI, I guess I'm the one to play things safe cause if sh-it happens , it's usually to me;) If I spend my hard earned money then it will have a Certificate of Title or the seller can keep it as far as i'm concerned. NSF

phebus
10-20-2007, 09:28 AM
Ok then Rick, I understand about your thoughts on buying them but to not have insurance; I cant believe an intelligent man such as yourself would put you and your wife and all of your wordly possessions in jeopardy for about a $100 ploicy at least for liability:jawdrop: But what do I know:(
Thanks Boat PI, I guess I'm the one to play things safe cause if sh-it happens , it's usually to me;) If I spend my hard earned money then it will have a Certificate of Title or the seller can keep it as far as i'm concerned. NSF
To be honest, the thought of insurance never crossed my mid. The cart was only used in a closed community that was made up of three streets, and was just for cruising up and down the street socializing. Never felt it was a threat to me or anyone else. Also, it wasn't licensed. I wonder if you could even get insurance for a cart that was unlicensed, didn't have any street use equiptment (headlights, mirror, horn, etc.), yet was being driven on public streets?

gqchris
10-20-2007, 09:53 AM
To be honest, the thought of insurance never crossed my mid. The cart was only used in a closed community that was made up of three streets, and was just for cruising up and down the street socializing. Never felt it was a threat to me or anyone else. Also, it wasn't licensed. I wonder if you could even get insurance for a cart that was unlicensed, didn't have any street use equiptment (headlights, mirror, horn, etc.), yet was being driven on public streets?
Insurance for a golf cart on private property? I didnt know you could get that either. I have bought items from guys here on the boards, dirt bike, scooters etc, that didnt have papers, but I knew the price was reflected with the paperwork issues. I got a detailed bill of sale, and never had an intention of registering, so no big deal. I used them on my private property.

Warlockjer
10-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Should have kept the Rhino!!:) :)

BoatPI
10-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Some homeowners policys may cover your butt on a golf cart when operated from your house.

Not So Fast
10-20-2007, 01:47 PM
In a "Sue Happy Society" I refuse to givem a chance. Just the way I personnaly feel I guess. Protect you ass is my motto;) So I'm still looking and not for a damn Rhino Jerry:D NSF

Mandelon
10-20-2007, 06:11 PM
I called my Homeowner policy provider and had it added specially. They needed the serial number. You can add specific coverage for odd items, I also put on my son's insulin pump. that little gizmo is like $5500!

Havasu1986
10-20-2007, 06:30 PM
In a "Sue Happy Society" I refuse to givem a chance. Just the way I personnaly feel I guess. Protect you ass is my motto;) So I'm still looking and not for a damn Rhino Jerry:D NSF
I'm with you on this Bobby. I have my golf cart insured and only use it maybe 10 times a year. ;)

TheCarDudes
10-21-2007, 08:41 AM
I have everything documented and insured. Try to get as much supporting documentation as possible. Ownership, value, condition etc.
As we all know insurance isn't for the expected, it is for the unexpected. If someone breaks in to my home, goes in my garage takes the golf cart and runs someone over or does property damage, guess what....somehow, someway it's going to involve me because I own the cart. If on of my teen age sons run into someone's car or boat, obviously I would be liable. There are so many scenarios we could come up with. They are all covered by an individul policy for each vehicle, then backed my a HUGE umbrella policy.
I am a firm believer that you can never have too much insurance.

Not So Fast
10-21-2007, 11:00 AM
I have everything documented and insured. Try to get as much supporting documentation as possible. Ownership, value, condition etc.
As we all know insurance isn't for the expected, it is for the unexpected. If someone breaks in to my home, goes in my garage takes the golf cart and runs someone over or does property damage, guess what....somehow, someway it's going to involve me because I own the cart. If on of my teen age sons run into someone's car or boat, obviously I would be liable. There are so many scenarios we could come up with. They are all covered by an individul policy for each vehicle, then backed my a HUGE umbrella policy.
I am a firm believer that you can never have too much insurance.
I think you should sell me yours George ;) Of course for a proper price especially since you bought another or should i say "STOLE ANOTHER" :D NSF

Roaddogg 4040
10-21-2007, 01:44 PM
To be honest, the thought of insurance never crossed my mid. The cart was only used in a closed community that was made up of three streets, and was just for cruising up and down the street socializing. Never felt it was a threat to me or anyone else. Also, it wasn't licensed. I wonder if you could even get insurance for a cart that was unlicensed, didn't have any street use equipment (headlights, mirror, horn, etc.), yet was being driven on public streets?
OH RICK... You are a bad boy. Driving an unlicensed vehicle on the street is punishable by life in prison or a week in the Chanel without Beer(I think)...:D :D
Steve

pebo
10-21-2007, 01:47 PM
Some of your private parks require you to carry Ins. on the G cart. When we used to stay at "The Islander" they did. We had it through State Farm and it was $7 dollars a mth. And by the way I bought the cart used at Club Car factory used with just a bill of sale. ;)

HM
10-21-2007, 01:55 PM
Read the fine print on "golf cart" insurance. It usually only covers you on the the golf course and to and from the golf course in a "legal" golf cart community(especially the home owners policy). My community requires you to insure your cart, but does not require a title...just the serial number. Someone made a big stink about the insurance coverage a while back here as we have had a couple deaths in modified carts and the insurance didn't cover a thing and now our POA(HOA) is being sued by surviving family members. If you want coverage that covers you everywhere (everywhere it is legal to drive a golf cart that is), make sure your agent knows exactly what you need. It is not that much more expensive. Also, my cart is insured, and they never wanted a title...just the serial number.