PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter news

Strippoker
10-20-2007, 03:43 PM
little twist you wont probably ever get to see on the next Harry Potter movie
Sat Oct 20, 3:33 PM ET
NEW YORK (AFP) - J.K. Rowling has revealed a secret about one of the main characters in her Harry Potter books: the wizard Dumbledore is gay.
ADVERTISEMENT
The best-selling British author made the confession Friday evening in Carnegie Hall in New York when a young fan asked her if the headmaster of the fictional Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy ever fell in love.
"My truthful answer to you... I always thought of Dumbledore as gay," said Rowling, whose comments were posted on the Potter fan website TheLeakyCauldron.org.
She said Professor Dumbledore had fallen in love with the wizard Gellert Grindelwald, but was crestfallen as Grindelwald turned his talents to the dark arts.
Dumbledore was "drawn to this brilliant person, and horribly, terribly let down by him," she said.
During a script reading for the sixth Harry Potter film, the author corrected a reference to Dumbledore waxing nostalgic about a female flame, she said.
"I had to write a little note in the margin and slide it along to the scriptwriter, 'Dumbledore's gay!' Rowling said.
Her revelations about Dumbledore drew a "prolonged ovation," according to the fan website.
"If I'd known it would make you so happy, I would have announced it years ago!" she told her fans.
In the Potter films, Dumbledore was played by the late Richard Harris and then by Michael Gambon.
Rowling, 42, who has become a billionaire from the Potter phenomenon, was on a US book tour and Friday's event was for 1,000 fans who won tickets in a sweepstakes organized by the US publisher of her books, Scholastic.
The first in the boy wizard series, "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," was published in 1997 and the final and seventh novel, "Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows", broke records after going on sale in July.
Some 325 million copies of the first six volumes have been sold worldwide, and the books have been translated into 64 languages.
As for telling her admiring readers about the sexual preference of Professor Dumbledore, she said: "I had to give you something to talk about for the next 10 years...Just imagine the fan fiction now."

Mrs. 20
10-20-2007, 05:46 PM
I thought this was just lame when I read it. Why would she reveal this now? I think she is lying to please the internet fans, because the series is over and it doesn't matter anymore.:rolleyes:

boatsnblondes
10-20-2007, 06:00 PM
It just ruined the whole series for me...no wonder he pays so much attention to Harry and Weasley........can't anything get written without having to have the "token" gay in there somewhere??