PDA

View Full Version : My project '78 Dimarco

Newcastle
03-01-2006, 10:45 AM
So I'm not much of an engine guy but I've always wanted to learn. This was my first boat years ago and just got it back from my buddy I had sold it to. I need to get it running...hopefully somebody here can help me figure out whats wrong. A few pics first...its a '78 Dimarco with a BBF 460. Mostly stock since I hate breaking down...cosmetically its seen better days but I'd like to get it running again anyway.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2185DSC00168.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2185DSC00169.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2185DSC00170.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2185DSC00171.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2185DSC00172.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2185DSC00174.JPG
My first issue...
When I got the boat a week ago, my buddy said there's something wrong with the carb. Apparently there wasn't enough fuel pumped into the carb to get it started. He would squirt some fuel in to get it going then it'd run fine. That sound like a problem with the carb or fuel pump? I replaced the fuel filter and am in the process of replacing the water separating fuel filter and head assembly since the one on there looks old. Thanks to any help you guys are willing to give me...
Nate

Newcastle
03-01-2006, 11:01 AM
Oh, and when I replace the water separating fuel filter, do I need the high flow one or can I just use the standard replacement filter that replaces the Mercury already installed...

boater012
03-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Does it run now? sounds like the fuel pump may be going out. or it could be that h let it sit so long between running the fuel evaporated out of the carb each time! either way if its bee sitting awhile without running id rebuild carb (holleys hate sludge of any kind) and get a good quality fuel/water separator. replace that tiny fuel feed line up the carb with some decent sized fuel line. make sure to do th maintenance stuff if you dont know wen it was done last. i.e. oil change, oil filter, plugs, check the cap and wires for wear or cracks and replace accordingly. 460 are pretty bulletproof but ive had problems when they sit alot of the valve springs getting weak so you might just check the valve lash. my .02

boater012
03-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Personally I always put the high flow racors on my own stuff but the merc filter should be fine! Id rather have the ability to flow too much fuel to my engine than not enough!!

maxwedge
03-01-2006, 11:12 AM
If it's pumping fuel to the carb and it's been sitting for a while I would check the carb, esp the float needle and seat. Probably it's gummed up with varnish from fuel sitting in there. Nothing a good cleaning can't fix. Fuel pumps diaphragms tend to break down after sitting and drying out too. Also if the gas in the tank is old, it's not going to burn anymore. It has cosmetic problems? Have you seen my boat? Yours looks fantastic by comparison anyway. That boat looks real nice to me, in the pics anyway. :)

Newcastle
03-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Does it run now? sounds like the fuel pump may be going out. or it could be that h let it sit so long between running the fuel evaporated out of the carb each time! either way if its bee sitting awhile without running id rebuild carb (holleys hate sludge of any kind) and get a good quality fuel/water separator. replace that tiny fuel feed line up the carb with some decent sized fuel line. make sure to do th maintenance stuff if you dont know wen it was done last. i.e. oil change, oil filter, plugs, check the cap and wires for wear or cracks and replace accordingly. 460 are pretty bulletproof but ive had problems when they sit alot of the valve springs getting weak so you might just check the valve lash. my .02
It turns over now. Got a new battery for it. When i put a little fuel in the carb, it'll burn it but then quits, so somehow fuel isn't getting to the carb. It has been a while, at least a year since it's ran. I'll do the carb rebuild just for good measure. This Holley is super old, so I'm thinking of just buying a newbie to be safe. Caps, plugs and wires look almost brand new, but I should change the oil and filter.
Thanks for the info. Also I know I need to replace the throttle cable. The pedal doesn't recoil like it should and the cable is just old. Any suggestions on where to get a new one in the Corona area?

speed freak
03-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Check the accelerator pump. You should be able to push down on the accelerator pump (little lever sticking out from under the front bowl) and see gas squirt into the venturi's out of the squirter at the top in the middle next to the choke flap. If you are getting gas to the carb and you cant push on the lever, take the squirter off and take a pick and poke at the plunger under the squirter, it is probably gummed up. Then LIGHTLY push on the lever again. If you get fuel out then put it back together and fire it up. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP ANYTHING DOWN THE CARB!!!!!!!

boater012
03-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Im not from corona but someone will chime In! Dont replace the cable unless it is stiff if you have a hotfoot they have a return spring on them that may have fallen off or broken. check that first. pull the cable off from its attachment points at both ends and see if it moves easily. If it does then check the spring. I have run some really old holleys. As long as you rebuild it right youll be fine. Not too many people can do a holley right and so they hate them. Granted they can be picky and they will need to be adjusted a little here and there but for the most part if its done right itll be trouble free. It sounds like the floats might be stuck closed in the carb. Take the fuel line off going into the carb and hook a piece of hose to it. 3-4 feet should do! and run it into a coffee can and see if its pumping fuel. Ive got some 1960s holleys on my blown t bucket and they do really good!

boater012
03-01-2006, 11:31 AM
I think he means its not all shiny and new like!

Newcastle
03-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Im not from corona but someone will chime In! Dont replace the cable unless it is stiff if you have a hotfoot they have a return spring on them that may have fallen off or broken. check that first. pull the cable off from its attachment points at both ends and see if it moves easily. If it does then check the spring. I have run some really old holleys. As long as you rebuild it right youll be fine. Not too many people can do a holley right and so they hate them. Granted they can be picky and they will need to be adjusted a little here and there but for the most part if its done right itll be trouble free. It sounds like the floats might be stuck closed in the carb. Take the fuel line off going into the carb and hook a piece of hose to it. 3-4 feet should do! and run it into a coffee can and see if its pumping fuel. Ive got some 1960s holleys on my blown t bucket and they do really good!
Sweet, thanks guys...I've got some work to do on this thing. At first I was gonna try and sell it for him but then I thought it'd be kinda fun to try and get it running for Havasu. I'd like to keep this around so I can take the dogs to the sandbar. Don't want to ruin the interior on the new boat ya know...

Newcastle
03-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Check the accelerator pump. You should be able to push down on the accelerator pump (little lever sticking out from under the front bowl) and see gas squirt into the venturi's out of the squirter at the top in the middle next to the choke flap. If you are getting gas to the carb and you cant push on the lever, take the squirter off and take a pick and poke at the plunger under the squirter, it is probably gummed up. Then LIGHTLY push on the lever again. If you get fuel out then put it back together and fire it up. BE CAREFUL NOT TO DROP ANYTHING DOWN THE CARB!!!!!!!
Thanks freak...I feel special, I got your 3rd post!

speed freak
03-01-2006, 11:45 AM
:rollside:

maxwedge
03-01-2006, 12:26 PM
Okay let me just say that I'm a little pissed off about having Seals & Crofts "Summer Breeze" stuck in my head now for the last hour or so. :mad: You gotta change that name. :p

Newcastle
03-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Okay let me just say that I'm a little pissed off about having Seals & Crofts "Summer Breeze" stuck in my head now for the last hour or so. :mad: You gotta change that name. :p
Now now...I can't go and change the name of 'Summer Breeze'. That's been the name of the boat since 1978! The same year I was born...